Unreal Tournament III cut content etc...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
Interesting topic, thanks for creating it. Well there was definitely some minor and some major changes. I cannot possibly list them all, but here are few examples that pop into my mind:

- One of the earliest known public demos was played on map named DM-E3City, that featured Malcolm blasting its way through streets and completing objectives. It was basically concept for Conquest gametype that never made into final.

- WAR-OnyxCoast map was really scaled down, originally it was much larger and featured interactive objects like destroyable terrain (you can see it from UT2007 trailer).

- DM-CarbonFire was a bit different, there was a ramp leading from Shock Rifle up to catwak, the pit with UDamange and Berserk was absent, skybox was different.

- Malcolm was playable character at some point, that is proved by numerous pre-release screenshots.

- Some maps featured on pre-release screenshots never made into final game (or the maps were altered that much we cannot recognize them).

- There was supposed to be Conquest gametype that had multiple objectives and side missions, kinda mixed AS and WAR/ONS gametype. We got ONS 2.0 instead.

- Bot voice command was completely removed (or maybe it wasn't implemented at all..?). In 2005 interview with Mike Capps, he told that you could command bots by voice and they will report back current situation. It never made into retail in that form.

- Some teams from UT2004 supposed to be in UT2007, but never appeared there.

MakeMeUnreal

Oct 6, 2012
Hungary
Ah, thanks. I wonder if the there are cut, or changed weapons etc... Onix Coast was the reason I started the topic...
That destructible cliff was amazing.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
There was a Canister Gun placeholder mesh (which was the Bio Rifle) and a placeholder effect texture or two in the development assets for UT3. I assume it was cut quite early in development.

Gnam

Feb 13, 2002
Yes, please.
Yeah, the Canister Gun concept was planned to be carried over from UC2, but then they realized it was going to be super complicated implementing 2 different possible ammo types simultaneously on the same gun.

They didn't even do it that way in UC2...even though it was intended as the same gun, the way it was implemented, there was just a biorifle and grenade launcher, and picking up one or the other did not automatically give you access to both attack types just by possessing different ammo. For all intents and purposed they were separate guns.

MakeMeUnreal

Oct 6, 2012
Hungary
I heard there was some spec video on the E3 2006.
Malcolm speaks, and introduces the new weapons etc... he even drove into a barricade stuff.