1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Unreal Tournament 2004 X-Play Review

Discussion in 'News & Articles' started by hal, Apr 28, 2004.

1. hal

hal Dictator Staff Member

Tech TV's X-Play reviewed Unreal Tournament 2004 giving it a 5/5.
    The writer also comments on the VOIP feature:
    Too bad we all get painted with that brush.

2. Rooster

Rooster Local Legend

What's wierd is, the times I've played, I haven't heard anyone being an asshat on voice.

3. Rirath

Rirath Guest

The sad thing is, it's more often true than not.

The other day I had to listen to a highly annoying round of WAZZZZUUUUP!!!! by a handful of players until I finally just turned off voice chat in disgust. A player once spent the whole DM talking about how high he was and giggling into the mic. A player once chewed out a guy at length in Team DM for friendly fire, before realizing he was on the wrong team and it wasn't a teammate.

Players take it upon themselves to bark orders at the team, as if anyone cared or as if they even knew what they were doing to begin with. If they'd shut up and do their thing, maybe they'd score a point or two instead of being at the bottom of the list. To say the large part of the community that talk both have no manners and no sportsmanship is an understatement.

I wanted to see voice chat built into UT, but now that it's here I question that choice. I've yet to see it put to any good use, I've only had one or two good laughs from it, and mainly I've just have been annoyed by it every day. The chatters can go to IRC, the talkers can get a freaking cellphone and call their friends so I don't have to hear it.

In short, anyone who'd actually use a mic is probably the sort you wouldn't want to.

4. Manticore

Manticore Official BUF Birthday Spammer

Offence taken X-play....

I agree with the comment on not needing any other shooter.... ever.

As for the comment on the online behaviour of the Unreal community the writer has illustrated their abject ignorance by doing what ignorant people do which is generalise or "paint all with the same brush" (paraphrased).

Having spent some time in forums and a lot of time online (in my various "disguise" handles) I can say that you will get some behaviour which is silly (that is acceptable as far as people having fun goes) and rarely is there any need to take offence.

Forums illustrate that there are a lot of articulate, serious people out there that are gamers who are capable of serious and intelligent comment (but who also like to have fun) which totally belies the comments of the quoted writer.

The writer seems to have completly overlooked the fact that online anonymity also provides the anonymity of age as well. Possibly some of the gamers he came up against have not got the life experience to act differently. (Or perhaps he got fragged by a ten-year-old who is better than her/she is by a quantum factor).

As for me there is a phrase that paints this writer with a certain brush: "TARGET PRACTICE".

I'll be seeing you on the net; any time, any server.....

Last edited: Apr 28, 2004
  5. hal

I've heard plenty of foolishness, but I've also been part of games where people were using the VOIP very very well. I just hate that we all get that same moniker in his eyes. It's great to be known as the "childish" community.

6. Manticore

... and there's a vast difference between the implication of being "childish" and as opposed to being "child-like"...

7. hal

Yeah, I don't think he means we're innocent and carefree. :lol:

8. the statement has some truth to it, but its with all online FPS games really. the fact that these games are virtual representations of u running around killing ppl brings out the worst in some. the amount of immaturity is very large. however i also make the distinction of someone whos trying to have fun and being semi-annoying (hey thats life, gotta deal with it) and those who purposefully "play" the game in such a way that theyre only in it to be a nuisance to others. one of the reasons i really like xfire is that u start playing with the same ppl over and over, and sorta get to know them. its def a lot more fun that way :)

9. Manticore

Now that's what I call a generalisation!

Agreed..... Now that's what I call a generalisation!

To Hal: I feel very carefree lugging around a flak cannon or chaingun (very loud laughter).....

But perhaps not too innocent....

10. pine

pine Official Photography Thread Appreciator

Pffft. The Unreal community is childish compared to what? Counterstrike? Xbox live? Give me a frickin break. This is what happens when people get on the internet and realize they're anonymous.

11. Kyllian

Kyllian if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;

Most of the asshats I've met just use text
    I've seen more mature players than immature ones
    Hell, I've even played with some people who just laughed at how badly they got their butts handed to them

12. MrMaddog

MrMaddog Flak Monkey

Apparently the reviewer has neither turned off the "public" voice channel nor even played much CS. ;)

Lately when I go on the ONS servers, the people who do use VOIP are actually using it for "teamwork". When this game first came out, there were people who you couldn't even hear, but now I think they figured out how to speak clearly (plus cranking the voice chat volume on my end really helps). Only once did I come across an annoying kid, but I think he'll go back to playing Pokemon for now on. :eek:

BTW, the review of the game on the X Play show is much better and more concise. Not to mention how neat that Morgan Web is a Unreal fangrrl... :lol: