Unreal is DEAD??

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

WhereverIMayRoam

Aug 27, 2000
Visit site
okay, a little background. being jobless until recently, I finally had money to get Unreal. I know, it's sad, but that's the way it is. anyways, I've been an active mod-maker in other games under different names. I had this great idea for an Unreal or UT single-player mod. I had a conversation with a friend though:

DeadEye: think I may do a mod in unreal, rather than Half-Life

SAILORMARS1: regular Unreal?
if so
screw it now
that game flopped within 2 monthes of the release

DeadEye: how so?

SAILORMARS1: how so
its so single player based peeps want Multiplayer
its graphics WERE great for the time
but the game is stock full of bugs
hell
their STILL releasing patches for it

DeadEye: HL was no fun at all
crappy interface
I hated the graphics too
and it was too repetitive and boring, especially near the end.

SAILORMARS1: HL rulez
Quake even more so
Unreal and Unreal Tourney blow
check it
Quake and HL have TONS of **** for them
Unreal nothing
UT not much of anything worth really looking into

DeadEye: HL blows
-------------------------End Rant Session-------------------

so anyways, I was wondering what people think about what he has to say. would ya'll want to see a good SP mod? would it get played? or should I flush it down the tubes, and go with the (grossly over-rated) multiplayer flow of the gaming industry? Post some answers.

DeadEye

(P.S. What's good for makin models in Unreal...3DStudioMax?)

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
First of all. Unreal has tons of mods for it. Second, if you make a mod for UT it unless it really stands out, it will just be lost in the pool of mods. If your mod kicks ass it will get played and will be noticed by planetunreal. Make your mod. I will play it.:)

Cammy

Nymphomaniac
Nov 24, 1999
Singapore
Visit site
Look, Unreal is immortal.:D It is a classic in the world of computer games. The single player is just incomparable. It's the closest you can get to a virtual tour of the Seven Wonders of the World.

Sad to hear you haven't a job yet, WhereverIMayRoam.:( Hope you'll have one soon.:)

Satsu

Nov 20, 1999
place
Well, if they don't release Unreal2 within the next 25 years I'm afraid people will forget about Unreal by then and everyone will be playing Quake 27 Turbo Hyper Fighting :)

ZoMbiE

Feb 18, 2000
Visit site
Yeah, sounds like your friend had a one-sided opinion. Quake vs Unreal is a classic never ending debate (as well as pointless). HalfLife is IMO inferior to Q2 & Unreal but that doesn't make it a bad game.
You don't neccisarily need to make a mod for any certain game. Look at the recent (or not so) string of mods made for UT, ie:RocketArena, (and the other weapon mod I can't remember). If its a good mod then by all means don't just limit it to any one game. I myself would only make Unreal based levls, mods, ect since I am greatly attached to the Unreal seris.

silk

Sep 6, 2000
Visit site
Unreal is Dead ?

Hi- I am a die hard fan of the original Unreal. UT is cartoonish,too easy and geared toward newbies. The Unreal Multiplayer takes talent and skill. I have made many friends in Unreal.. All the way from Iceland to Germany and many in the USA. I would be most sad if the Master Server Browser went away.

Robo-Junkie

Ghost of Robo-Past
Apr 30, 2000
IN
Robo-Junkie smashes silk's head in with his kb

I'm not usually a violent person, but you talked down about UT & I cannot let you do that. & You cannot compare Unreal to UT, since as most people know, they are of a different flavor from one another. Unreal was totally about SP action, & even though it did have botplay & multiplayer modes, it wasn't as much a concern as the sp mode was (you have to admit that, especially since it shipped with only a few DM maps). & UT isn't geared more towards newbies, but fortunetly, it does help learning deathmatch skills easier than in any other game that I know of. If I had been weened on Unreal, I surely would have taken a lot more time to learn the tricks of the trade, since it's botplay wasn't exactly newbie friendly. Believe it or not, a lot of people haven't played an FPS before they played UT & being one of those people, I'm glad Epic & DE took the time to make the game the way they did & didn't pull a Q3 (I pity the poor newbie forced to learn from Q3!). & I think you're alone when you say UT is too easy. Frankly, I don't know where you're coming from with that... eh.. but, I'm starting to rant (it's also about 4 am here, so I'm half asleep right now, which might explain my aggressive tendencies...), so I'll leave you be.

Later! :)

"We didn't clone it...
We ripped out it's heart & put it in a new body" - an N64 Quake II ad - I feel it somewhat works here. heheh ;)

Hellscrag

UnrealSP'er
Nov 10, 1999
Bristol, England
www.hellscrag.net
Have to agree that UT is better in that respect. UT is easy for newbies to learn, but takes skill to master. Q3, takes skill to master, but also is very difficult to learn. I've been playing FPSs since Q1 and I still find Q3 a bugger to get to grips with. UT however, was instinctive and I did ok from the start, but I have got a lot better since then. Got unstoppable yesterday ;) and I wasn't fighting newbies.

Unreal multiplayer takes more skill to learn because it's badly done :) . Don't take that the wrong way, it's still good fun, but Unreal's multiplayer was an afterthought.

XxBonesxX

banned
Dec 19, 1999
A grave Yard!
Visit site
UT is for newbies I like that statement :)
Truthfully! Unreal takes skill for which those so called newbies of UT will never possess. The fact that I can sit up in a spot and all day long snipe bots and people all day long without even getting hit not thats skills there folks:)
Unreal however hehe you had to stay on the ball and run your rear end off with no time to stop! Dodging was your life saver no teleporting to save your butt! Unreal differs from UT yes but skill wise hehe Unreal takes real skill and thats something UT will really ever have sadly enough,but its still fun to play and laugh at for its cartoonish look :)

Robo-Junkie

Ghost of Robo-Past
Apr 30, 2000
IN
sheesh...

You've missed the point completely bones. You say People learning from Unreal have more skill than those learning from UT? How so? I mean, for me, UT DM has a much faster pace to it then Unreal DM does & UT bots can actually teach you something! Like Q3, Unreal's bots don't gradually upgrade their skills, they just get much more accurate, not to say that it isn't fun, but Unreal bots don't even dodge for christs sake! What exactly can a newbie learn from deadeye accurate bots (besides a very high tolerance level) that just run around & stop & kill them? & there's no DM map in UT where you could simpley snipe bots & people the whole time without getting hit, not unless you're playing against newbies that are playing the map for the first time... & the translocator adds a whole lot more strategy to CTF (since most servers don't have translocators enabled with DM), plus it's one of the koolest damn weapons I've seen in a while (why wouldn't people love to have their own personal transportor?!). I'm always looking for someone with a good opposing point of view from mine, but you've got to think your strategy out a little, instead of just copying what someone else said. LOL

Hellscrag

UnrealSP'er
Nov 10, 1999
Bristol, England
www.hellscrag.net
Bones: Have to repeat myself here

UT is easy for newbies to learn, but takes skill to master.

That makes it far more accessible to newbies than any competing titles, but that doesn't mean that to master UT takes no skill.

I can't say I've found UT cartoonish. That's more a description I'd apply to Q3.

For single player, give me Unreal any day.

XxBonesxX

banned
Dec 19, 1999
A grave Yard!
Visit site
Hehe I realize its a newbie game, but who ever heard of launching a nuclear missle in Unreal haha UT makes it to easy :) Anyways I wont knock UT anymore since is a game for the next generation hehe right next to the Flinstones hehe..

Robo-Junkie

Ghost of Robo-Past
Apr 30, 2000
IN
The brain has trouble accepting the truth...

UT is cartoonish? Which game has monsters feeling their neck area, for the head you just blew off? Which game has a monster keep swiping it's claws at you, even after it's head has rolled away? Which game has monsters that attack you with their gas?... (not that I didn't enjoy the humor in Unreal :))

You keep saying UT is cartoonish, but you don't say WHAT is cartoonish...

Well, tell us exactly what's so cartoonish bout UT. :mad:

XxBonesxX

banned
Dec 19, 1999
A grave Yard!
Visit site
Well take some of the charecters for instance :) did you ever see the old cartoon GI Joe lol now the Nali cow hehe that was original hehe strap a cannon to his back and send forth a 2 legged critter into the battle field :) Hehe The Nali Priest I guess 4 hands are better then 2 hehe while he's shooting you he can also slap you upside the head with his other 2 hands :) Humm if I recall I thought they were a peaceful race and did not use violence oh well guess I was wrong. Then game in general is fun don't get me wrong hehe I like my Saturday morning cartoons as much as the rest, but Unreal by far is a more challenging game and should be left for people that have skill not newbies hehe. So enjoy UT for what it is and the rest will enjoy Unreal for what it is A challenge and one a newbie should stay clear of..

Robo-Junkie

Ghost of Robo-Past
Apr 30, 2000
IN
I'll give you the warcow, lol. I love those guys...

But, the UT commandos aren't funny & neither are the Nali.

& once again, you keep saying that UT is for newbies, while Unreal is not (despite the fact that you said that Unreal will teach newbies something that UT wont... pretty contridictary...). There's no question that Unreal's sp game was difficult & required skills to survive, whereas UT's is DM, DOM, CTF & DM again (heh), so that puts them on different pedestals of gameplay. :p

XxBonesxX

banned
Dec 19, 1999
A grave Yard!
Visit site
Tell you what hehe you go install Unreal if you have it, and go find a server thats even if there are anymore DM servers running and you try to keep up with the crowd! Hehe bet you end up crying in tears within the first 10mins of gameplay hehe..And if you have played Unreal before hehe you didnt play it long enough..

Robo-Junkie

Ghost of Robo-Past
Apr 30, 2000
IN
I have Unreal installed & I have played online before & the first time I played, I got about 3rd place I think, so I don't think I'm gonna start crying over it. LOL!

& maybe you should go reinstall UT & play with bots higher than experienced (lol) if you want a challange. Can you get on a killing spree with LMS instagib with a 2 second lag when playing against a bunch of lpb's?