1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Unreal in Windows 10

Discussion in 'Unreal' started by Freddie, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Freddie

Freddie Member

Hey,

I installed Windows 10 upgrade on my Win8.1 PC, which contained many games, including Unreal and Unreal Tournament. Initially, Neither Unreal nor Unreal Tournament would function. I experimented with various settings in their Properties settings. Eventually, I found some settings that enabled them to function normally.

Take a look at the picture of the Properties. Both Unreal and Unreal Tournament Properties are configured as you see in the picture. Notice how the screen resolution is set to 640 x 480. The games run in normal screen resolution, which is 1920 x 1080 on my monitor. The games wouldn't function unless I set the resolution as you see in the picture. Go figure. They also wouldn't function unless I enabled Disable display scaling in high DPI settings. Both games run good like this. Ha!:

ABC.JPG

I don't understand any of this. Maybe someone can explain. Anyone have a different experience with these games in Win10?

Freddie

2. gopostal

gopostal Active Member

I upgraded several computers in the house to Win10 and it went without a single problem. In fact most of my games run noticeably better. I have a coop Unreal server and I play on it daily. There was no issue in upgrading, my install plays just the same as before (Win8.1). In fact I think I might even throw Win10 on the laptop running the server. I was surprised the upgrades went so smoothly. Finally Windows got it right.

3. Freddie

Freddie Member

I have an update to report. For some unknown reason, Unreal and Unreal Tournament started functioning correctly without those strange settings in their Properties. Somehow, the games corrected themselves. Like I said, I don't understand any of this. I'm happy now. Those two games are all back to normal in Windows 10.

Fritzie

4. dr.flay

dr.flay Dr.Flay™

It could be the Windows security.
    Data Execution Prevention (DEP) can stop some old programs working.
    You can add Unreal.exe as an exception

5. Freddie

Freddie Member

To break in my new install of Windows 10, I launched old Unreal and played a custom map pack named Skaarjtower-ShadowAndFirev2. I hadn't played it in several years, and it was fun running it again.

This custom made game is very good and if you're not familiar with it, you should try it. The game play is top notch, and the visuals are even stunning and interesting, more so with the S3TC textures. I'm using the hi-end textures. Maybe someone hasn't used those S3TC textures. You can get them here (I edited this post to remove the original link to the high-end textures. They were to UT. The link below is for the Unreal hi-end textures) :

http://www.unrealtexture.com/Unreal...es/HighEnd/MasterFiles/MasterFilesHighEnd.htm

The game is designed to run in Unreal Tournament, but when I downloaded it and played it in UT years ago, it didn't always work well, even when properly configured (oldskool).

Consequently, I removed it from UT and installed it in old Unreal. The game worked perfectly in Unreal, and that's where I've kept it since then. The download file contains two maps. Don't let that fact fool you. These maps are huge, and will take you a good long time to work through. You can get it here:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/v.smith19/index2.htm

I just thought I'd post this information for those who might be interested in trying a custom made map pack they haven't tried before.

Freddie

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  6. gopostal

gopostal Active Member

Not to spam your thread but if you want to play this online in Unreal I run a coop server and I was just playing this map last night. It's a tough one (I think the monster count was 325 or so) and requires some patience but it's worth the effort. My server is very well suited to this type of map because it's not a competitive server, I geared everything to letting the player explore the map. You have a very OP rifle, you have a remote control that lets you open doors, you even get a UT translocator. It's easy to cheat the map if you get stuck (God, fly, ghost all work for all players) but you can also play it legit all the way through if you want. It's a great server to use if you remember a map and go "Hmm, I wonder what was behind that one door on that one map". Mappers hid all kinds of Easter eggs, hidden rooms, etc and it's great fun to find them. Matter of fact I found one last night on a map I'd played 20 times before. I'd just never looked at an obscure part of the map.

Oh, and if you die from trying something you always wanted to try out, you will respawn back where you were. It's great fun to climb to the top of a high map and just jump (because you know you want to). Maps with lots of traps are cool to do too since you won't be heavily punished for triggering them.

Anyway, if poking around maps is something that floats your boat you can find my server in the coop tab. Use "showvotingmenu" to bring up mapvote and off you go.

7. Freddie

Freddie Member

gopostal,

Indeed, as you said, "mappers hid all kinds of Easter eggs, hidden rooms, etc." In the first map, you can find two caves somewhere in that location. You'll be rewarded with goodies. One cave entrance is below water and one above. You have to hunt and to swim in dangerous waters to find them.

There also is a hidden entrance to two locations above the waterfall. In my first play through, it took me a good long time finding the two caves and the hidden entrance to the two locations above the waterfall. These are great maps for exploring and for sight seeing. Kind of an amazing piece of work by the mapper.

This map pack may be one of the best ever made, and there are some really good ones available. You Unreal fans know which ones I'm talking about.

Freddie

Edit: I forgot to mention, in the second map, you'll have to deal with the dreaded caves. Oh my!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  8. NeoNite

NeoNite Worst hack fraud ever

First map was actually fun, once you got the hang of it. Once you've figured out the routes, sniper positions etc. and had the pleasure of playing it with a good, solid team.
    It worked.

The second map however was a catastrophy. Random hideous buildings, the terrible cave system, the whole convoluted manner of finding your way through the map.

Drew improvised on these maps as he said iirc. On the first map it turned out fine. The second one was a failure.

I played these maps quite frequently on 3s monsterhunt, many years ago. With 3, Drew and other regulars. UT coop.
    3 had to place teleporters in the hallways of the first map, otherwise it would've taken us several hours more to reach the end.

9. gopostal

gopostal Active Member

Neo, do you know what happened to 3? He just went -poof- and stopped replying to emails. I wonder if he is OK, he was such a helpful person.

10. NeoNite

NeoNite Worst hack fraud ever

No I'm affraid not. Last time I played on his server was three years ago I think. Testing the Illhaven 2 mappack. Then, probably the next year or so the server slipped from the radar. He just vanished. He made a great effort running he server (together with carrdiologist for a while) and make the best out of it for us. But I guess the inevitable happened, the playerbase became too small.

11. Manticore

Manticore Official BUF Birthday Spammer

Good question!

12. Freddie

Freddie Member

I noticed that my link to the game "Skaarjtower-ShadowAndFirev2" is broken. it was working when I originally posted it, and for sometime after that. Some change was made there, but I don't know what happened. Anyone know how to fix this link?

Freddy

13. Manticore

Manticore Official BUF Birthday Spammer