Unreal III ?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sep 18, 2009
This looked like the right kind of forum for something like this.

If there ever will be an Unreal III, what do you think it will be like?

Do you think there will be inventory, or something besides weapons? Will it be on Na Pali? Cameos of characters from Unreal I and/or Unreal II ? Multiplayer? If multiplayer, something new? Something old but "updated"?

Will the then-existing "Unreal tech" prevent it from being like Unreal I ? What if not enough people are interested in it anymore?

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
I think the original feel of Unreal can never be repeated, not even in the slightest. As much as I'd want to see the old environments being remade with the current technology, it just wouldn't be the same gameplay-wise. How could it.

Times have changed, a lot.

Though I'd like to be proven wrong. And please, no unreal II references. I don't think of unreal II as a bad game, but well...it is, but it quite isn't either.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Unreal 2 with XMP is really good, stop bickering.

The definitive answer to Unreal 3 is a big "NO" to it being released or even developed. Because the fact that people will start to say how much it's not good compared to the original one (something which happened already with the UT series) will happen 100% of the time. If the Epic staff continues to be intelligent, they'll use their potential for new great series. GoW1,2 and especially Shadow Complex impressed me a lot, so I prefer them developing new stuff. And the new UEngines too, can't wait for UE4.

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
You cannot compare XMP to SP experience.

Personally I don't know what to expect from Unreal III, but I certainly do not want to be it anything like U2 SP. As NeoNite said, it's hard (if not impossible) to recreate Unreal I feel. Actually I think it doesn't have to be 1:1 U1 experience at all, it just needs to be something different (and have that Unreal game feel & atmosphere on it).

Last edited:

Sep 18, 2009
I wouldn't mind owning a console, but I'm not a big fan of the current ones. To me they appear to be more complicated opposed to PCs, the gazillion of models are just too much.

So Unreal III on console, why not? But with adjustable autoaim please. And 60 fps. And with brightness, gamma and contrast setting. And a few other settings that we are used to.

Ok, maybe not on a console. ;)

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Though I'd like to be proven wrong. And please, no unreal II references. I don't think of unreal II as a bad game, but well...it is, but it quite isn't either.

Unreal II is a side episode which, imo, wasn't that bad. It's kind of like comparing Star Trek and Star Trek : Voyager. Neither are bad but one of them is the flagship of the genre.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Well, it would have been much better game if it stayed what it was supposed to be, all these features didn't make it to final game and they had to cut lots of content. Plus it is extremely linnear game and the Janus levels shouldn't have been in game, not in that state, I would be glad if the shian levels were not cut and instead replaced this boring mission.

But I would like certainly to see Unreal 3 or remake of the old Unreal, or any good spinoff (perhaps Unreal 2 should have been spinoff in first place and not have 2 in its number, but thanks to the tournaments they did name it Unreal 2 to separate singleplayer and multiplayer meaning). I don't care about people bitching. It just has to be done right.

Last edited:

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
Talk was about Unreal SP and then you mentioned U2 XMP that is MP so I they don't compare, that was my point.

War_Master

May 27, 2005
I enjoyed Unreal2 more than any other SinglePlayer game I've ever played. I think that it was way better on everything than U1 to a point that I have installed the game 3 times just to play it off.

If there was to be an Unreal3, I bet that they will follow up from Unreal2 because of the way the engine was built and works. The UE3 and UE2 are much more similar to each other than they are to the first engine, UE1. I'm sure they will take advantage of its capabilities like they did on Unreal2 and the result will be as good or even better than the previous game.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
The Awakening was fine as a standalone game - it's still better than a lot of the rubbish we're seeing these days - but it didn't deserve the Unreal title. It certainly wasn't Unreal II.

Then I wouldn't call a lot of other Unreal games "Unreal" as well. Namely everything after U1 and RTNP.

Diehard

Well, it is possible to make an Unreal III that is comparable with Unreal. And i give an example outside Unreal.

Back in the eighties i already was a super science fiction fan, and i really like Battlestar Gallactica. And the serie that came after that, i loved to watch it. The second serie was horrible, they were on earth riding around on motorbikes that sounded like a vacumecleaner :rolleyes: people all of a sudden could fly :rolleyes: :rolleyes: so it was bad alright.

But now the new series, wow do they rock. Its the same story, with the same characters, the same ideas, but its not and it is. The storyline rocks, and they made some awsome twists in it, the music rocks, the graphics rock, the characters are totally messed up weirdos. Frankly i think its one of the best series ever. And its certainly the best redo ever, and i doubt that any eighties fan will think otherwise.

So yeah, i think its possible to do the same and have the same atmosphere and idea improoved. It just depends on good stories and imagination of the writers. If anything, than something like the new Battlestar Gallactica prooves it.