UE1 - UT Unreal Gold Unreal Editor

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Vanyel Al'Thor

Feb 18, 2010
Greetings,

Cleaning out my closet and rummaging through some boxes of stored stuff, I came across my Unreal Gold game that I had packed away so long ago. After cleaning off some light dust, I decided to see if I could get it installed on my current pc running WinXP w/ SP3.

To my wonderment it ran just fine and I decided to reacquaint myself with the game. Prior, I had never messed around with the Unreal Editor, but this time around, I wanted to try my hand at creating some custom maps of my own. However, when I went to run Unreal Editor for the first time I received the following message, "Component 'THREED32.OCX' not completely registered: file is missing or invalid."

Was there a game patch that came out and I missed? Or is this a problem on my end? Any and all help would greatly be appreciated and thank you in advance. :sniper:

Vanyel Al'Thor

Feb 18, 2010
Thank you both for your prompt responses. And I was wondering where to place that file, but now I know. I will give this a try and if I should run into any difficulties along the way, you can be sure I'll be back looking for additional help.

Vanyel Al'Thor

Feb 18, 2010
Ok an update on my progress here...

I still have the 'THREED32.OCX' file that I dl'd from Firefly's link, thank you for that.

AWW SNACK, on that new link you provided, the Unreal Ed fix 4, when I go to run it, gives a "not a valid Win32 application" message. So I opted for the "Latest patch" link which is my only option left to try, and I have dl'd the UnrealPatch227fWin.rar.

I don't have the time now, but when I go to give that 227f patch a try, I will give you another update on how it has worked out or not worked out. :sniper:

Hourences

Aug 29, 2000
Belgium/Holland/Sweden
www.Hourences.com
You should stick to 226.

Also why do you really need Unreal gold? Why cant you go with UT patch 436, and then merge all unreal levels and content into UT? And work with that? That would work better, and it would still play exactly like Unreal gold.

Gizzy

The Banhammer Cometh
May 30, 2009
United Kingdom
You should stick to 226.

Also why do you really need Unreal gold? Why cant you go with UT patch 436?
Why stick to 226? 227 fixes lots of bugs in 224/5/6 and even implements new features, making Unreal more powerful than any version of UT. (Fact)

Unreal 227 > UT 436 (Opinion)

Gizzy

The Banhammer Cometh
May 30, 2009
United Kingdom
Yes but how is the editor? Game improvements are useless if the editor didn't follow suit.

227f uses Ued2.0 (Same as UT) and allows modders and mappers to utilise the new 227 features from the go.

When 227g is released, UnrealED 2.1 will come with it (Massive improvements over 2.0)

Vanyel Al'Thor

Feb 18, 2010
Hello again,

After giving the 227 patch a try, my aim, to get Unreal Ed to work, was resolved.

But when I went to load up a saved game under the Mission Pack: Return to Na Pali, the game no longer functioned. It seems that 227 prevents that second mission pack from running, and I also discovered that when you go to use the following "summon cheats", they do not work either.

Summon Carifle, Carifleclip, Grenadelauncher, GLAmmo, Rocketlauncher, and RLAmmo.

I was thrilled that I finally got the editor to work, but was quickly disappointed with how 227 made the game less than it was. I have since removed the entire installation and reinstalled 226. On a side note, I wasn't impressed with how 227 tried to enhance the texturing and lighting, I much rather preferred how everything looked under 226.

At this point I am back to square one, but at the very least, I have both mission packs operational again. I still have the 'THREED32.OCX' file saved, so if anyone out there has the other dll files that I am still needing, plus where to place them, and how to get the system to recognize them files when I go to run the editor, would very greatly be appreciated. :sniper:

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
It handled zones differently, but can be useful sometimes. I mean unless you put zoneinfo in every zone and separate it right, it won't work right.So yes in the end it uses less zones or something, but doesn't really have zone limit, or so they claim.

I am using 227 only as separate version. Also the people from oldunreal have tendency to suggets the patch way too much or even propose it as replacement for anything which it shouldn't be. It should be alternate version at best and not replacement and there are many reasons why not do that etc. They made even quadshot working(causing incompatibility in few mods which have quadsho subclassed) and in the latest patch also readd some other beta weapons and pawns they had models from, but the script is not same as these old ones of course and it kinda feels somehow wanky. Also these new things should have been in separate files, this way it only creates incompaitiblity or that the old clients wont be able to see the new actors when joining 227 servers which allows users go in(which are very few and if user is using nephthys he cant join anyway).
I mean I am not bashing it at all(in fact I am often providing bug reports and I plan to join internal testing for first time), but some people are a bit overreactive about the patch and propose it should be universal version. They can sound even insulting.
Gizzy belongs to oldunreal community as well, although he does not force his thoughts as much as few others do, so I say that is fine.

Last edited:

Smirftsch

May 9, 2000
www.oldunreal.com
Hello again,

After giving the 227 patch a try, my aim, to get Unreal Ed to work, was resolved.

But when I went to load up a saved game under the Mission Pack: Return to Na Pali, the game no longer functioned. It seems that 227 prevents that second mission pack from running, and I also discovered that when you go to use the following "summon cheats", they do not work either.

Summon Carifle, Carifleclip, Grenadelauncher, GLAmmo, Rocketlauncher, and RLAmmo.

I was thrilled that I finally got the editor to work, but was quickly disappointed with how 227 made the game less than it was. I have since removed the entire installation and reinstalled 226. On a side note, I wasn't impressed with how 227 tried to enhance the texturing and lighting, I much rather preferred how everything looked under 226.

At this point I am back to square one, but at the very least, I have both mission packs operational again. I still have the 'THREED32.OCX' file saved, so if anyone out there has the other dll files that I am still needing, plus where to place them, and how to get the system to recognize them files when I go to run the editor, would very greatly be appreciated. :sniper:

Digging through the net I stumbled across this not so new topic, but having some side notes myself here.
227f does not provide upak support- YET - as mentioned a couple of times on different places, if you are unable to read stop complaining. Also there is some user made Upak which doesn't need the Upak.dll and which works fine in 227f. It's some legal issue why it is not implemented yet. 227g will have a separate version for RTNP/Gold.

Texturing wasn't even touched in 227 (except DXT support in D3D8/9 and OpenGL). The more intense colors than in 226f with glide wrappers can be adjusted if wanted (Enable OneXBlending in advanced options) but are more accurate to the original 200+ version.

In any case, nearly everything in 227 is purely optional and original renderers and sounddrivers are still kept unmodified (Glide, Galaxy, D3D).
Nobody is forced to use new features.
There are nearly no compatibility issues with older mods (and those are really minor) and no issue with older maps. That was one of the most important things.

For the UED2 problems Davill mentioned- the zoning was changed (was some Legend addition, we just enabled it) to get a bit around this limit (it tries to combine similar zones) and the reports so far where rather positive about it, it just requires some different approach.

227g will have a way more enhanced and fixed version of UED2 and we named it UED2.1 because of that. Anyone is invited to help finding bugs and to avoid problems Devill experienced. But this requires of course working with us at Oldunreal and not complaining here because you were to lazy to RTFM. We try to work with the community not against, so any report or suggestion is very welcome.

Also if you dislike 227 for any reason nobody is going to blame anyone, we still provide the necessary files and patches to run 226 and UED1 in 226, as well as multimedia updates for 224/226.

UED2.1 release notes:
http://www.oldunreal.com/wiki/index.php?title=UED2.1_Release_Notes
227 release notes:
http://www.oldunreal.com/wiki/index.php?title=227_release_notes

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
I must say the 227g patch is really great so far, from my testing experiences, there were few bugs, but the team fixes these quite fast.
UnrealEd 2.1 is one of the best incarnations of the editor, provides really a lot, even some UT3 editor features.

The only complains I might still have is the use of the new actors in the unreali and unrealshare files, therefore the maps made whit it are incompatible, if it used different files, the problem could be worked around easily. I know it is a patch, not a mod, but still it was not that good idea, lots of people are complaining, especially from UT community, beacuse they can't run the maps under UT anymore, these which use the new actors. It is too late to change it now though I think.

Last edited:

Creavion

Aug 27, 2005
Germany, Niedersachsen
Its really annoying... it really seems the community is not interested in that stuff. No wonder why a UT version seems out of question. Like in the Dark Age, what you do not know has to be killed or what?