1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Unreal Gold Problems

Discussion in 'Unreal' started by jkitchar, Aug 6, 2001.

1. jkitchar

jkitchar New Member

Installed Unreal Gold for the first time last night and everything runs great and looks absolutely beautiful on my Windows ME, P3 866, 256mb, Radeon 32mbDDR machine. I'm using D3D and it's smooth in 32 bit 1024x768 even with vsync on. I'm just blown away on how good this games looks--I never knew Unreal was THIS good.

However, I noticed in the PDF manual that there are "advanced options". I see no advanced options under options. Where are they? I see preferences but no advanced options.

I also notice that I can't choose decals under preferences. If I check the box and close the window, it unchecks itself when I return to confirm. Wierd menu behavior.

I also notice that I can't gib, that is, when I play a bot match, I can't blow apart a fallen enemy like in Quake2 or 3. Is this normal of does it have to do with no decals?

Help please--JMK

2. jkitchar

jkitchar New Member

No decals...

I found another post that states that Unreal Gold's menus are inaccurate about decals--there are no decals in Unreal.

O-well, still a great game. I just wanted to know if it's a bug or normal.

JMK

3. Metakill

Metakill Inhumane

There are no decals in Unreal Gold, it is an Unreal Tournament option that got "ported" over when the new interface was adopted.

To get to Advanced options, hit TAB or ~ during a game or the opening sequence and type "preferences" (without quotes).

Can you GIB in the single player game? I have necer noticed a problem with this, but I haven't specifically looked for it.

If you get Unreal Tournament, you can download the Oldskool Ampe'd mod and play Unreal through UT, with decals and plenty of extra options, such as playing with UT weapons.

4. jkitchar

jkitchar New Member

That's it...thanks a ton.

Not much to change here--I took a suggestion to up the cache megs(default=4). I tried 40 megs like one post suggested. It didn't help my framerate at all so I put it back to 4mb.

Any suggestions? I could use just a few more frames when the action gets heavy at 1024x768 32bit.

JMK

5. Hellscrag

Hellscrag UnrealSP'er

Turning off DetailTextures will give you those extra frames but you'll sacrifice things like those cool lines across holographic control panels when you get close.

6. jkitchar

jkitchar New Member

No way--can't do that! I have Halflife, Quake2, Soldier of Fortune, and Unreal Gold installed on my computer and IMO, Unreal blows them all away. Unreal looks (and sounds) so good I have a hard time advancing in the game. I'm constantly backtracking/sightseeing, exploring level designs, and inspecting textures. I can't turn the textures down, thanks. Unreals looks too good to consider that.

Here is a another question if you don't mind. I'm getting exactly 63 fps (fly-by demo average one cycle) at 1024x768, 16 bit, vsync on, no compression, high everything, D3D. My computer: Windows ME, P3 866, 256mb PC 133, Radeon DDR 32mb LE with drivers dated Aug 2000, and DirectX 7.1. Does this sound about right or should I be looking for more performance? I'm thinking about upgrading my drivers, but that would *require* Directx8. So my question is, would I see a performance increase if I upgrade my videocard drivers and install DirectX 8?

Or do I risk a total meltdown where Unreal (and my other games) become unplayable? It looks and runs just about perfect in 16 bit now. I'm almost always pegged at 75fps with vsync on--75Hz refresh rate. 32 bit does get slightly choppy (drops to ~35fps) when action gets heavy, but not at 16 bit. What do you think? Upgrade drivers and DirectX 8....or stay put.

Thanks, JMK

7. Hellscrag

Hellscrag UnrealSP'er

That framerate sounds about right. People are free to correct me if I'm wrong.

8. dinwitty

dinwitty DeRegistered User

GeForce2MX no probs

I would back down in resolution to 800x600
    I would check on latest drivers and DX8a.

all the problems with rendering has been
    data flow to the vidcard.
    see if you have 4x AGP capability in BIOS and enable it.

if the vidcard is more dependent on the CPU for some rendering, its going to tax the system.
    If your running in 16 bit resolution, go to 32bit,
    because unreal is designed in 32 bit, it has to convert to 16 bit textures on the fly.
    you might try turning off fog and volumetric lighting, mostly effects the ingame characters and movers.

When the action gets heavy more coding is in use so you get lags.
    This was waaay obvious in software mode at 320x200 :D:D:D

9. jkitchar

jkitchar New Member

Your post is confusing to me.

GeForce2MX no probs

Can you tell me your fly-by average framerate for one complete cycle at 1024x768 32 bit, vsync ON? I'm really curious.

I would back down in resolution to 800x600
    I would check on latest drivers and DX8a.

Thanks, I may check out DX8a soon. I'll have to if I buy the newest games. I'm still holding on to 7.1 for now.

As far as 800x600...I don't get that big of a performance boost to outweigh the jaggies--like a couple of fps only.

all the problems with rendering has been
    data flow to the vidcard.
    see if you have 4x AGP capability in BIOS and enable it.

It is; it's fine.

if the vidcard is more dependent on the CPU for some rendering, its going to tax the system.
    If your running in 16 bit resolution, go to 32bit,
    because unreal is designed in 32 bit, it has to convert to 16 bit textures on the fly.

But I do get a decent performance gain in 16 bit--more of a gain than switching to 800x600. Do you run Unreal at 800x600 32 bit? Please post framerates and CPU speed.

And in game vsync off scores don't matter (I hit over 200 fps at times; yawn) --I'd like to know your one-cycle average in the fly-by demo.

Thanks, JMK

10. dinwitty

the issue at hand is visual experience.
    the flyby is designed to test the graphics capabilities.
    Ingame framerates will be even faster ingame.
    It sounds like I contradict some things here, but
    but using a GeForce 2 may have different characteristics than other cards in handling rendering data.
    I just remembered this, see if your vidcard has a feature called render ahead frames.
    I just re-installed my vidcard drivers I need to set it to one, not 2 or 3 or more,
    this causes the game to try to render ahead, and it constantly adjusts, so if your card has this, set it to 1.
    I will post back my changes.

some thoughts.
    motion picture film runs at 24fps, TV at 30fps (60 half frames)

11. dinwitty

no appreciable differences changing the render ahead frames,
    but I know it made a big difference in online games. solved some lag
    freeze issues.

rememeber I use the MX, which is the lower end GeForce2

12. jkitchar

jkitchar New Member

>he issue at hand is visual experience.
    >he flyby is designed to test the graphics capabilities.
    >ngame framerates will be even faster ingame.

I enjoy tweaking for added performance--extra frames *always* come in handy, especially in a game like Unreal. Sure, most of the time my framerates are fine, but when the action gets really heavy, framerates can really take a dive. Take the fly-by demo for instance. Most of the time, I'm well over 100 fps (vsync off) but when you turn into the castle with the big circular lights, my framrate drops into the 40s. Anything lower than that and I can see frames--it looks choppy to me. I see this while playing the single player game too. When I get into a fire fight with a couple of baddies, I want my framerate to be as close to 60 as possible. 50's is fine, 40's is OK, 30's and I'm looking for solutions like tweaking.

And if my framerate is always above 60, then I know I can try a higher resolution or add a better filter. Extra frames are always welcome. Can't get enough; ever. 1600X1200 4XAA @ 100fps steady. Wouldn't that be nice?

It sounds like I contradict some things here, but
    but using a GeForce 2 may have different characteristics than other cards in handling rendering data.
    I just remembered this, see if your vidcard has a feature called render ahead frames.
    I just re-installed my vidcard drivers I need to set it to one, not 2 or 3 or more,
    this causes the game to try to render ahead, and it constantly adjusts, so if your card has this, set it to 1.
    I will post back my changes.

I never heard of this--how can I tell if I have this option/feature? What good is it for?

some thoughts.
    motion picture film runs at 24fps, TV at 30fps (60 half frames)

Hey, rock solid 30 isn't bad. But 30 with *dips* into the teens is unacceptable. And it always happens at the worst (actually best)times--when action gets intense. I'd rather play at 100 with dips to 50. Smooth as silk.

Another example. In Soldier of Fortune, my framerate is usually around 120-150 fps. But in intense firefights where precision aiming is critical to survival, my framrate falls into the 20-30's, making it difficult to aim. See why I wish to keep my fps as high as possible? I need every last frame in a game like this.

JMK

13. Metakill

Metakill Inhumane

Here's a few more things to try:

1. Set actor textures to medium detail. Most of the time you will never notice the difference, usually only when the monsters are lying dead on the ground and safe to look at. This is far less noticable than lowering world texture detail, and can make a big difference in complex fire-fights.

NOTE: when playing deathmatches, it's better to do the opposite: Set actors to high detail, and world texture to medium (or low), this makes it much easier to see targets and pickups.

2. If you have an advanced rendering option for mipmapping, try turning it off (if it's on) or on (if it's off). Mipmapping is the smoothing of textures in the distance or at sharp angles to reduce the jaggies. At 1024 x 768, these jaggies are far less noticable. Turning off mipmapping frees up some texture memory, and you may like the look better (I do). HOWEVER on my friends comp, turning off mipmapping makes the game practically unplayable.

3. Try lowering sound quality to 22,000 Hz. There's not much difference, and it may give you a few extra frames. On my computer, there's no noticable difference, so I leave it at CD quality 44 KHz.

14. dinwitty

you can also turn off reverb.

Render ahead frames should be in your vidcard setups IF it exists, search around. (not in the game)
    maybe you might find something else useful.

firefight sequences use more coding which taxes the cpu.
    Unreal doesnt use hard coding for the game,
    it uses a relative language and makes working on a game extremely flexible.
    why you may not have higher framerates than other games.

The only other tweaking thats possible is a higher speed CPU and
    vidcard able to render faster.

of course you could turn off lighting period, that'll make your framerates jump :D

15. jkitchar

jkitchar New Member

I recently did fly-by demo (complete cycle) with vsync off, 1024x768, 16 bit, all high textures. Average=80 fps, highest=166, and lowest=34 (I'd like to get this 34 a bit higher..). That's with overclocking my Radeon LE to 175/175Hz.

Good enough--plays and looks beautiful.

Later, JMK

16. dinwitty

lowest 34? you will do ok :D

you can turn on the timedemo ingame and see what you get also.
    you wont get the looping sequence average, dats all

17. jkitchar

jkitchar New Member

That fly-by demo is an excellent predictor of in game framerates. When I play bot matches, my lowest fps is almost always around 34--like when rockets come at me from multiple angles with lots of bots in view. Like I said before, framerates drop at the *best* times.

The lowest framrate in the fly-by should be above 40 IMO for smooth play. So far, I'm unable to reach that without sacrificing texture quality.

JMK

18. s·af

s·af New Member

jkitchar, you can set thecolor depth to 32 bits, since there's almost no difference between 16 bit and 32 bits on the Radeon.

19. dinwitty

try this
    in d3d rendering advanced options

flip the
    use 3DFx to true

I got a framerate boost.
    I tinkered a few other settings but didnt help
    I boosted 5 fps when 3dfx was on
    This may have to do with the texture handling.
    Since the game is designed around 3dfx, maybe its an idea to use it.
    you can stick with 16 bit if you want if it helps framerates.
    When I think about how unreal is designed around glide it just seems to look right for it.
    part of the creative essence I think.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2001
  20. jkitchar

jkitchar New Member

Depends on the game. In Unreal, I lose exactly 6fps going to 32bit. That's the difference between smooth and *slightly* choppy in heavy action. What's weird is I gain almost nothing going to 800x600--like 1 fps.

But to be honest, I really don't care that much. In fact, today I went back to 32 bit and started the game over from scratch. If I overclock my LE enough 1024x768 in 32 bit it's fine--it's worth the fps hit.

Unreal just looks too good to turn effects down. So I'm not. I must have my 32 bit skies.

JMK