Unreal GOLD/Direct3D7 Test Slow/Choppy

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Untouchable2K

" Untouchable "
Mar 27, 2005
Hollywood, CA
HEY, i am using a Visiontek ATI Radeon HD PRO PCI card, has support for DX10, SM4.0, or maybe 3.0:lol: anyways, i am using 8.5 lastest driver.

Now unreal GOLD is really really choppy, seems to have viewdistance or just field of depth problem. Also in dxdiag tool, when i run a D3D test, the DX7 cube moves smooth for one min, then skips a bit, start moving smooth again, then becomes choppy. But DX8 AND DX9 tests, their cubes are spinning just fine.

So when i start the game, you know when they show the big castle, well when the camera is pin downward, i get 30fps, but once the camera goes up around the castle and shows the skies, the game fps drops to 5-7, i can't explain, but if anyone understands what i am talking about, thats good.

I was thinking it was the card, but i only seem to have this issue with certain games and unreal is one of them, also unreal II is the same.

Do i need to download and copy a Dll file to my system32 folder, say D3D7.DLL or something?

Last edited:

Untouchable2K

" Untouchable "
Mar 27, 2005
Hollywood, CA
I was using Direct3D, thats it. Also, do you understand what i was talking about, or do you have any idea why my d3d7 spinning cube is rotating so poorly and d3d8 and d3d9 is rotating just fine. ?

Untouchable2K

" Untouchable "
Mar 27, 2005
Hollywood, CA
n/m i just went back to my 6200, the 2400 pci card is unstable do to incorrect drivers by visiontek, the 6200 doesn't have these problems.

Back to playing unreal games at ease :) Thanks for the updated render tho.

Diehard

Dispite you solved your problem, kinda.......

It is always adviced to NEVER use the manufacturers drivers, and instead DO use the drivers from the chipset manufacturer.

In your case(ATI Radeon) it would be the drivers you can get at: http://www.amd.com/us-en

And in case you use a NVidia(Geforce) chipset go here: http://www.nvidia.com/page/home.html

And normally any D3D renderer should have crazy high framerates, so if its stuck at such low framerates something is wrong alright. Next time always check the chipset manufacturer and not the site from the company that made the card. Both Nvidia and ATI give very good support on their chipsets, so theres no reason to go look somewhere else, and that includes to never use the drivers on the CD/DVD you got with the card. At best those are old and obsolete.........

Untouchable2K

" Untouchable "
Mar 27, 2005
Hollywood, CA
I am back using the card for good, (until i get another card anyway ) , and thanks alot. The New DLL help improved gameplay. The game looks beautiful now, getting around 40fps and the levels are nice and shiny. :)

Hey Diehard, thanks for the information. Visiontek didn't release a proper driver for the card, so its missing openGL hardware acceleration which is causing certain problems.
The Diamond 2400 HD PCI card has all the features and a proper driver, so i will be buying that one soon.

peace