1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Unreal Gold crashing

Discussion in 'Unreal' started by Slyrr77, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Slyrr77

Slyrr77 New Member

As it's the 10 year anniversary of Unreal Tournament, I suddenly felt the itch to reinstall Unreal Gold and play it through again. I had some troubles getting it up and running, but finally seemed able to get in. I played a few levels (they're still huge compared to many other games), then left it for the following day.

But now it won't reload. I tried patching it to version 227, but I keep getting the same crash data. Here is the info as pulled from the log file (it's the same each time, no matter what video driver I pick or even with safe mode)

"Warning: FIREWALL: XP.SP2 FireWall Not Enabled
    Warning: FIREWALL: Freed XP.SP2 Firewall Object
    Critical: UFireTexture::ConstantTimeTick
    Critical: UTexture::Tick
    Critical: (FireTexture NALIFX.SHANEFX.TORCHES2)
    Critical: UTexture::Update
    Critical: URender::DrawFrame
    Critical: URender::DrawFrame
    Critical: URender::DrawWorld
    Critical: UGameEngine::Draw
    Critical: UWindowsViewport::Repaint
    Critical: UWindowsClient::Tick
    Critical: ClientTick
    Critical: UGameEngine::Tick
    Critical: UpdateWorld
    Critical: MainLoop
    Exit: Executing UObject::StaticShutdownAfterError
    Exit: Executing UWindowsClient::ShutdownAfterError
    Exit: UALAudioSubsystem::ShutdownAfterError
    Log: DirectDraw End Mode
    Exit: Exiting.
    Uninitialized: Name subsystem shut down
    Uninitialized: Log file closed, 10/01/09 21:28:32"

From what it says, it seems to be having some kind of trouble finding the textures - but I have no idea why that would be - they're all in the texture folder where they should be. The first 'warning' is about the windows firewall, but I have a non-windows firewall, so I can't understand why Unreal Gold would be crashing because of that.

Has anyone seeen this before? If so, how do you fix it? If it's been discussed/answered already, please link me to the thread. Any help is appreciated....

2. Bi()ha2arD

Bi()ha2arD Toxic!

Tried compatibility mode for Win2000/Win98? Maybe that helps.

3. Slyrr77

Slyrr77 New Member

How is that done? The only options in the recovery launch window are to run in 'safe mode' which causes the same crash. Either that, or buttons to change your video drivers, which also produce the same crash.

How do you run 'compatability mode'?

4. Waffnuffly

Waffnuffly >:E

Firewall warning is probably unrelated to the problem. NaliFX.utx might be corrupt somehow; pull that back off the original CD, overwrite the one you have right now, and see if it fixes it, or else ask one of us to email it to you (it's less than a meg).

If that doesn't do it and you get the same error, something else is probably screwed up somewhere. Have you reinstalled from scratch into a new folder to see if that works? And do you have any other Unreal Engine 1 games to run to see if it's an engine-wide problem (UT, Deus Ex, Rune, etc)?

Compatibility mode probably won't fix it, but basically you just right-click on the .exe, go to Properties, and then the Compatibility tab and enable it there.

What OS are you using?

5. Slyrr77

Slyrr77 New Member

I run WinXP. I'll try pulling the naliFX file from the CD and see if it helps - I tried compatibility mode and you were right - it gave me the same error. THere must be a corrupt file somewere in the mix...

6. Slyrr77

Slyrr77 New Member

I tried a full uninstall reinstall. After patching and getting everything back up, it still does the same thing (installed through the Unreal Anthology DVD). Ut2004 works fine. Unreal Gold still crashes with the same error message.

I tried pulling the nalifx texture thing from the CD and replacing it. Also didn't work.

Anyone know why this might be happening and how to fix it...?

7. Diehard

Diehard New Member

Well there one thing you shouldnt do ;)

You should NOT use patch 227 if you want to play RTNP. The final version of patch 227 will have full RTNP support, but the current beta doesnt. The problem is the missing support for the Upack files.

Best way is to reinstall the entire game and than run the netfix/opengl patch to get the proper netcompatebillity and the proper renderer for the graphics.

AnthologyUnrealGoldPatchV1.0.exe

If you still have problems, than post it here of course.

And while your at it, you might wanna install the S3TC textures as well to gain the best, super, duper high resolution possible for Unreal :)

S3TC Unreal Anthology Guide

8. SkaarjMaster

SkaarjMaster enemy of time

Are you messing with the uninstall files to install separate games from the Unreal Anthology set like I did or are you just reinstalling everything you want from those CDs?

9. Slyrr77

Slyrr77 New Member

This worked for me just now, I don't know if it'll work for anyone else who may have had similar problems.

Right click 'My Computer', go to 'Properties'.
    Go to the 'Advanced' tab, and click 'Settings' in the 'Performance' section.
    Go to the 'Data Execution Prevention' tab and hightlight the option 'Turn on DEP for all programs except those I select' and Add Unreal.

I've had a couple other programs that wouldn't work until you did this for them. Weirdness.

10. Diehard

Diehard New Member

ow, i already suspected that actually, but i thought this was a Vista specific problem. I wasnt aware it also occured in XP, which is why i didnt mention it :hmm:

In any case, the DEP is already fixed through bugreport in 227f(and to be specific it was fixed at 9 august 2009 lol). Which than means it will be in the updated 229g. But that one stil doesnt have RTNP support if i am correct, that will only be added in the very last release candidate.

Btw, are you gonna try use the S3TC textures ?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2009
  11. Slyrr77

Slyrr77 New Member

I'm not sure... as I said, I merely felt the urge to play through it again, as I sometimes do with old games like Doom, Hexen or Heretic. Chances are, once I've killed the queen, I may uninstall it again. So I may not bother with the hi-res textures.

Now, if they installed normal mapping and Ragdoll physics, THAT would be something!

12. Diehard

Diehard New Member

For the textures that are updated, they pass UT3, Gears Of War or any other game by far, reaaaaaaaaaaaaaal by far. Aside the blooming effects in those games, the updated textures for Unreal and UT make something like UT3 super low res at best.

13. dinwitty

dinwitty DeRegistered User

as always update bios/motherboard drivers/vidcard drivers

14. Sportaçus

Sportaçus Protecting the citizens of Lazytown.

Take out the ":D" that should solve your problem.

15. dinwitty

dinwitty DeRegistered User

sometimes it doesn't work, but its not usually the case for Unreal.
    OS's like XP and Vista have added on this security thing and it really has a lot of buggers and problems when simply trying to to run normal programs that work fine before on older OS's.

I found this old game ChixNStix I think is the name, its a racing game with obviously females racing, it will ONLY run in Win98. Where upgrading doesnt work and why I do keep Win98 around on other systems.

I keep getting joked at on another forum about being "Old" but it is very practical to do this. Some companies have old proggies they developed on DOS and they upgrade to XP etc and they cant afford to upgrade their DOS software so guess what they run it in DOSbox. hey :rimshot: