1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Unreal Fantasy - an RPG TC

Discussion in 'Recruitment' started by LegionaireJoe, Aug 9, 2003.

1. LegionaireJoe

LegionaireJoe New Member

For those of you who don't know me, let me introduce myself!

My name is Kris Smith, though I post as “LegionaireJoe” on the forums I frequent (Polycount, here at CGChat.com and the Atari UT2003 boards). I’m currently attending university with plans to major Industrial Design, but games are my passion; I can’t remember a time when I haven’t been playing games. I’ve done lots of research, read books, and spoken with people in the industry about game design and for the last six months I’ve spent almost all of my free time conceptualizing and writing a story with a fellow artist who happens to be a good friend of mine. So without further adieu, I present Unreal Fantasy.

[​IMG]

Introduction (Excerpt from the Design Doc)

The goal of this project is to literally make something unreal: take the traditional Japanese console RPG style game and infuse elements of the Unreal Universe into it. Just for the record, Epic Games has given their permission to use their intellectual property for this non-commercial project. A lot of personal research and studying with regards to RPG game design has been done, as well as analyzing and learning about the wide variety of RPGs available on the console systems, including the older NES & SNES games. This project has also been on the forefront of my mind everyday for the last six months, so I'm determined to see it through.

This latest iteration of the Unreal engine has SO many possibilities, yet the potential is so often ignored and we end up with tons of Counter-Strike clones. This is one of my main driving goals for this project. Create something amazing, something that cannot only be called a game, but can be called a piece of art; an experience like none other.

I’ll humbly say I’m no wiz at coding or scripting, but I can get my head around the concepts behind the basics of programming. I’ve set up a forum and have a very simple (I stress very simple) site up which links to the forum and the IRC channel. I’m not the greatest when it comes to HTML & website stuff, so we’re definitely in need of a webmaster. I’d also like to stress that I’m not just some “idea man.” I model, map, texture, and do conceptual work. I’m also 110% committed to see this to completion.

The forums can be found here: Unreal Fantasy Site.

If you register, please ignore the error message. I don’t know how to fix that, sorry.

Here is just a bit of the work I’ve done:

Ripblade Design
    Ripblade Designs
    Ripblade Explained
    Ripblade Model
    Necris Lord

I’ve done some other modeling, but I want to give people the opportunity to have a say in how the game is designed before anything is set in stone.

This was a very quick repaint in Photoshop over my friends sketch:

Malcolm Concept

This mod is not about winning the "Make Something Unreal" contest, though I'm hoping that a good sized demo will be complete by the February deadline, but what it’s really about is having a lot of fun, pushing ourselves artistically & creatively, and finishing a project that we can proudly call our own. It’s about quality and fun, and if by meeting the contest deadline means that we loose all those elements, then I feel we can disregard the contest and take the time to finish the game right (though I'd still like to see us make it into the contest with a demo).

We’re looking for a full team:
    • Programmers
    • Character Modelers
    • Texture Artists
    • Concept Artists (Character, Mechanical, & Environmental)
    • Animators
    • Mappers/Environmental Artists
    • Music Composers
    • Sound Engineers
    • Website Engineer

There really isn’t a need to make some super elaborate team hierarchy where people can become overly sensitive and dramatic because they’re not the Assistant Associate Director of Internal Development. Whoop-Dee-Feckin’-Do. We all need to step up to the plate and do what we do best. That’s all I ask.

This is a learning experience for everyone and I hope we learn lots, have a great time and make a great game doing so! Thanks for taking the time to read this.

I’ll catch ya on the flip side!

-Kris Smith

I can be reached on:
    AIM - LegionaireJoe
    MSN - swank_smithers@hotmail.com

Last edited: Aug 10, 2003
  2. FireSlash

FireSlash Whats a FireSlash?

I think setting a solid release date in 04 is a bit unrealistic. This project sounds like quite a task, and while you might or might not be aware, very few mod teams get a full staff. My current project has been in development for over two years, and is still under 50% completion.

I love the detail you put into this. The mod looks promising if you can pull it off, but it appears you already gave a growing staff.

Anyway, Good luck!

3. aruon 177

aruon 177 Maya PLE fanboy

very very cool idea for a mod man,i love the idea of mixing ff and unreal all together,i just hope i will be able to make a damn good mod my self,im thinkin about thinkin ideas for a mod but since linix and mac os x dosint have any unrealEDs like on the pc verson there no way for me to make a mod,well the only way i can make a mod is if i get people to make it for me,but i will think up the idea and the art for the mod,all im going to say is this unreal fantasy thing is i hope it turns out to be a good mod and i hope it will also work on linix and mac os x.

good luck man i realy want to see how this mod turns out to be like :)

4. aruon 177

and another thing thats a cool lookin logo for the mod!

5. Radiosity

Radiosity Minty Fresh!

Thanks aruon 177 :) Hopefully it will live up to expectations (of course it will :D ). As for macos and linux, since the core components of the game are all UT2003/2004 based I can't see there being any real problems running UF on either of those OS's (with any luck) :)

CSM

Oh, and here's the link to our public forum:

http://unrealfantasy.ultimatewarzone.com/forum/index.php

Not much activity as yet since we're still in early development, but register anyway if you want and no doubt things will start to pick up fairly soon.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2003
  6. JamesKilton

JamesKilton UA Coder

Finally! A readable, grammatically correct, and very gameplay oriented recruitment post!!! I never thought I'd see another one! And it's not a realism code!! Holy Sh*t!

Man, if I wasn't FireSlash's coding bitch :p, I'd join the mod in a jiffy. The idea is awesome and I really hope you guys can pull it off.

7. aruon 177

well some ideas for the game its self,sould it have real time battles like kingdom hearts,but i love the idea of it being like ff10 becasue i LOVE FF10!

also sould the game have good texters and good water and lighting in the levels good polygon counts,plus how well will the game run on pc/mac and unix base computers,
    will it run the best on a p4 2-3ghz with a ati radeon 9800 or geforce fx 5900,64 to 256 mb vram,or g5 2ghz with a ati radeon 9600 or 9800pro 128 vram,online play somethin like hack-n-slah 8-16 players online,dont forget pcs useing the linix OS and mac computers with its unix base os x.

those are my ideas on unreal fantasy and hope that the team will be a good development team!

hope for the best when it comes out in 2004 :)

8. JackReacher

JackReacher [SAS Mod]

That made me laugh SO much :D

9. aruon 177

man i realy hope you dudes get like 10 or 20 people to work on the mod so it will be done by 2004

10. Radiosity

Radiosity Minty Fresh!

lol at JamesKilton :lol:

Thanks for the support, I'll relay your best wishes to the rest of the team :) And currently we have around 10 people, so keeping fingers crossed 2004 shouldn't be too difficult to achieve.

Oh, and if your machine will handle UT2003/ 2004 alright then it'll handle UF fine as well. Thanks again :D

CSM

11. aruon 177

hm 10 people hm not much but not that bad,if i had the unreal ED tools i would help out on the development.

12. proudclod

proudclod New Member

OMG!!!u gotta let me help, you have to, you have to, you have to, you are viewing this messege posted by the biggest ff fan on the planet, PLEASE!!!!i can do good modeling, and concept art :D!!!!! i beg u so bad plz....

13. Radiosity

Radiosity Minty Fresh!

What kind of modelling? We've got a few character modellers already, though I daresay we could always use more, but static mesh modellers would be a real help. Contact Kris (first post) about it :)

14. proudclod

proudclod New Member

Since a member of this team offended me in many ways, i might reconsider joining, though 1 person can't show you your path, right? Well, if any of you still want modelers, please tell me, if not, don't be an ******* like the other guy.

15. Radiosity

Radiosity Minty Fresh!

Umm, ok, who? I know it's not me as the only thing I've said to you was in that last post.

16. Wormbo

Wormbo Administrator Staff Member

I don't know, but for some reason I think this proudclod guy is only trolling...

17. Radiosity

Radiosity Minty Fresh!

Hmm, guess we'd better break out the Billygoats then ;)

18. JamesKilton

JamesKilton UA Coder

LOL

Owned

19. proudclod

proudclod New Member

Im not trolling, i only made 1 post as a joke, everything else i said is true... I dunn remember the guyz name, but he was on IRC, and i added him to aim, and when i talked to him, i was using shortucts like: u, o, IMO ETC. And when i asked him how old he is, he said old enough to spell, and started being an ass.....

20. Radiosity

Radiosity Minty Fresh!

I use shortcuts like that on the rare occasions I decide to chat using MSN or whatever, because it's a hell of a load quicker when talking in realtime. I'll get arsey with someone who persistently uses them on a forum though because there's simply no need for shortcuts - it's a lazy use of language that should be discouraged in a public discussion environment like this.