1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Unreal Engine 4 Will “Exclusively Target the Next Console Generation”

Discussion in 'Unreal Tournament 3' started by [TT]BrundleFly, Mar 22, 2008.

1. [TT]BrundleFly

[TT]BrundleFly New Member

2. T2A`

T2A` I'm dead.

3. [TT]BrundleFly

4. Wail of Suicide

Wail of Suicide Member

Here's a question for you: Why wouldn't it?
    The majority of Epic's licensees are probably developing games that they'd like to release on the consoles (and maybe on PCs). Further, targeting the engine at consoles gives you a reasonable guideline of how good your computer needs to be to run any UE4 game and, more than likely, means you'll have to upgrade your computer less to run them (as opposed to something designed only to run on the bleeding edge of next-generation hardware).

So, downside?

5. [TT]BrundleFly

The downside for me is:

1). We may not get any PC titles at all.
    2). If we do they will likely be ported from the console not written specifically for the PC so we end up with a less than stellar gaming experience.

And yes, I have heard ad nauseum that consoles are where the money is, etc, etc. But I wonder, I keep seeing all this wonderful tech coming out like quad sli, 8 core processors, solid state hard drives, etc, etc. Who will buy this stuff to run Excel in an office? And if their are no PC games, we don't need any of this hardware...

6. dub

dub

The people making the games :p

7. Ionium

Ionium New Member

So how are we PC gamers supposed to bring console gamers, custom content?

8. [TT]BrundleFly

Tell them to buy a PC...

9. Ionium

Ionium New Member

That makes zero sense since the PC USERS WON'T GET UT4

10. Sjosz

Sjosz (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Even if they target the console market primarily (over PC market) I would find it hard to believe that an engine like UE4 will be hard to make compatible for PC games... if that's even neccessary.

11. Wunderbar_007

Wunderbar_007 .Lateral Thought.

Don't you guys think this whole article has been exaggerated just a little by the public? I mean, it's an engine coming out in like 4 years for hardware that is yet to come (who knows what we will have in four years) and they didn't exactly say that PC won't be part of it at all. EPIC might get larger and have a team dedicated to the PC market and a team for consoles, or maybe PC market will be almost extinct by then, or maybe the new gen consoles will suck so bad EPIC will change their mind. All I'm saying is all this is for now is just hype. You throw the word NEXT GEN in anything these days and people go wild.

As for UT4, I must admit I am a little worried but to me that's going to depend on how this UT3 situation plays out. For instance, if this game gets a few more patches, a couple of maps and we never hear from EPIC again, I would expect UT4 on PC to come out fairly soon and on a new engine. However if we get a nice dose of fixes, content or maybe even a re-release of the game, I could wait a while before wanting to play UT4 so they could take their time with consoles and then do a UT4 on a perfected PC UE4 engine. Either way, if they release UT4 or Unreal 3 (or 4) on consoles and not PCs, all hell will break lose, really.

12. hyrulian

hyrulian Rainbow Brite

13. zynthetic

zynthetic robot!

UEng4 =/= UT4

14. Fuzz

Fuzz Enigma

Oh well, to get posts the thread subject must be provocative enough.

The Unreal Tournament series will always be PC oriented first. What really makes UT such a great game is the community efforts put into it after the release of the full game. What they might be saying is that you will need a state of the art computer to run it otherwise stick to the earlier versions. Scaling the game to fit any computer could be a great endeavorindeed. It's not that impossible, just reduce bump maps, long range lighting, high polygon meshes etc. I would love to play the latest games on an old-school computer. That could be done, just cut down on the graphics. Of course the game won't look the same, it can still sound the same and play the same. The install should be less than 900 MB even and load in a sec on a brand new computer. It would be retro and fantastic at the same time.

15. Zaccix

Zaccix Truth, by Banksy

This is sad, but not actually a great surprise. Things like this come and go in cycles. Today, consoles are where the money is at, and the PC is at the bottom of the circle in the eyes of developers such as Epic. But, sooner or later, the PC will reach 12 o'clock again and those same devs will come scurrying back, chasing the cash.

However, by then PC gaming might have an entirely new landscape, with a new generation of developers and some oldies - Ironclad, Valve, Infinity Ward et al - who stuck with the PC while the big guns solely went after the console dollar. Sure, they'll also publish on consoles, but they won't have declared the PC as second-best, as an option to consider only after the console money has been made. Those developers will earn our respect, as Ironclad has already proven.

The well is only useful as long as there's water in it.

16. JaFO

JaFO bugs are features too ...

:lol: ... do you think that Ironclad respects pc-gamers ?
    They don't ... they respect *customers* who play their games.
    That is the 'secret' to their success ...
    In fact I'm sure they'd switch to console-games in a second if they'd ever think that that is were their audience is.
    In fact if you read their website you'll see that they don't mention any specific platform
    // ---
    When there's money to be made you will do so ... and given what MS is planning for the games build on their XNA-framework I am sure there's plenty of amateurs that are willing to do so.

I really wonder how long you will continue to boycott such things when there's money to be made and fame to be had by releasing content for the console-versions of games. Especially given that most amateurs are using custom-content as a way to get a job instead of something that's fun to do.

17. ZippyDSMlee

ZippyDSMlee New Member

When the consoles give you full mapping,sensitivity and peripheral control thats when console games will be worth while for me, I much prefer the control options a PC gives you so until console gaming grows up the kiddie consoles can keep their watered down with piss ports.

18. fuegerstef

fuegerstef New Member

Last edited: Mar 24, 2008
  19. Emmet Otter

Emmet Otter I miss XMP :(

I dont know why anyone cares about this now anyways. We should'nt be too concerned about this until we get a decent UT3 on our computers first (speaking for the majority of people here)

And besides, they may say exclusive now but, by then they'll port it over half-assed like they did with UT3 and GOW just to get a few more bucks.

20. Capt.Toilet

Capt.Toilet Good news everyone!

Yeesh I sure am glad that Im not just devoted to ONE system of choice.