Unreal Engine 4 On Display 'Later This Year'

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
360 is only $200 now. I meant build me a PC from that same point in time when the xbox 360 was still $500. It wouldn't have cost you under $800. At this point, all the tech is old and cheap. I bought a core i7 when they first came out, that alone was over $400.
The biggest flaw in your argument is to "build you a PC that would run the game at max settings at 1080p". Why?

The Xbox itself can't run UT3 at 1080p at max settings. It's pretty likely it can't even run it at 720p or 480p at max settings, which is a good reason why the game doesn't have "max settings" available at all. It has "the settings that run good at somewhere around 720p at somewhere around 60fps".

I couldn't say anything about 5 years ago, but 4 years ago I bought a system for $400 that could play UT3 at 1280x1024 at 60fps with max settings. Back then it would cost you $400 to buy an xbox and the game and no xbox live subscription (yes, I'm intentionally ignoring the neutered, hard-drive-less "arcade" unit).

I think others' point was that over time the investment isn't as worth it if cost is your only determining factor. $810 for a PC 5 years ago would have gotten you the kind of equipment that would probably last you until the end of this year or next year (whenever new consoles start pouring out) and even then you'd only really need to upgrade the video card and ram right away.

Grasshopper

Jan 21, 2008
Upstate NY
There is no way consoles will ever look and play as well as PC. If PC gaming is going to die, it's because that's what the developers want. They want to SELL you new maps and mods. PC gaming community has always provided this for free. The devs see an opportunity for more profits, so, that's where they will go. They are going to sell games in little pieces from now on. Gamers will be nickle and dimed to death as long as they keep putting up with it.

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
The biggest flaw in your argument is to "build you a PC that would run the game at max settings at 1080p". Why?

The Xbox itself can't run UT3 at 1080p at max settings. It's pretty likely it can't even run it at 720p or 480p at max settings, which is a good reason why the game doesn't have "max settings" available at all. It has "the settings that run good at somewhere around 720p at somewhere around 60fps".

I couldn't say anything about 5 years ago, but 4 years ago I bought a system for $400 that could play UT3 at 1280x1024 at 60fps with max settings. Back then it would cost you $400 to buy an xbox and the game and no xbox live subscription (yes, I'm intentionally ignoring the neutered, hard-drive-less "arcade" unit).

I think others' point was that over time the investment isn't as worth it if cost is your only determining factor. $810 for a PC 5 years ago would have gotten you the kind of equipment that would probably last you until the end of this year or next year (whenever new consoles start pouring out) and even then you'd only really need to upgrade the video card and ram right away.

Ok, so maybe I'm off on my math, but people who grew up gaming after the PC gaming craze want a box they can just turn on and play a game, not a box they have to turn on, update drivers and diagnose what went wrong when something inevitably goes wrong. Hell, even I want that, but I still game on PCs because the controls are better for FPS games. If the next Xbox has a better control scheme like a suped up Kinect that works really well with FPS games I will make a permanent switch. I'd rather my PC have a workstation card for my 3D work anyway.

Mar 19, 2002
Denver Co. USA
Visit site
can you even comprehend a Kinect like control scheme that is as elegant as as M&K in UT?

I can't.

Even in it's most blessed form, it would just be a dumbed down experiment.
There's no freaking way it would be as great... there would have to be games tailored for it, like there is now and even they aren't controlling well.

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
can you even comprehend a Kinect like control scheme that is as elegant as as M&K in UT?

I can't.

Even in it's most blessed form, it would just be a dumbed down experiment.
There's no freaking way it would be as great... there would have to be games tailored for it, like there is now and even they aren't controlling well.

I'm left handed so I'm already at a disadvantage with a mouse and had to learn how to control it well with my right hand since everything is tailored to right handed people. I can imagine a simple Wii-like controller that works with a kinect product for aiming quickly. The problem is quality, not ability. They just have to fine tune things. It might not happen, but I'm hoping it does.

Severin

Feb 8, 2008
@DeathBooger

I'm left handed and m/k is far easier for me than using a joypad. Most games on pc still allow you to customise the keyboard controls. So just use the option to make a left handed setup.

Ps. Built my Core2 based pc just over five and a half years ago for about £600 ($900 at a guess) then added a £150 video card around six months later. It can run UT3 maxed with ease and still copes with most current games perfectly well.

As others mentioned you pay a premium for console titles also pay for dlc much more often plus subscriptions costs would have made a ps3/xbox more expensive to buy and run for me.

Finally the pc is a much more flexible device.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Ok, so maybe I'm off on my math, but people who grew up gaming after the PC gaming craze want a box they can just turn on and play a game, not a box they have to turn on, update drivers and diagnose what went wrong when something inevitably goes wrong.
I can understand this. It's why I do actually own an Xbox. I'd say that this is taking the determining factor away from cost, though. If the factor is cost, a PC is usually the better choice. If it is something else, it just depends on what you need. I wouldn't give up gaming on my PC for most things, but I do like having an Xbox and having games that are made for vegging on the couch with and not playing seriously.

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
Mouse and keyboard isn't tailoured towards right handed people...

There's not a lot of options for left handed gaming mice. Also, I learned to use a computer mouse with my right hand because that is what everyone else did. It wasn't until I started trying to aim with any precision that I found out how much I suck with my right hand. Almost all software is geared towards right handed people with the most commonly used shortcut keys being assigned on the left side of the keyboard by default.

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
Mouse and keyboard isn't tailoured towards right handed people...
Well... yes and no.
As long as the dev includes decent rebinding you can remap the KB to whatever you need.
I'm a righty and I never use WASD, I always rebind to center around YGHJ
If I were a lefty I'd probably center around TFGH

I'll give you mice tho. There are lefthanded/ambidextrous mice, but when you get to the "big names" of gaming mice, lefties are kinda left behind.
Razer has only 1 dedicated left-handed mouse listed on their site, I don't think Logitech has a dedi-leftie mouse, etc

WedgeBob

XSI Mod Tool User
Nov 12, 2008
Cleveland, OH, USA
Good left handed mice are hard to come by, but to be honest, do you have to use your left hand? I'm left handed and grew up using my right hand to control the mouse.

Ditto that...born left-handed, and still do some things that way, while trained on to doing other things right-handed. Using a mouse being one of those things. Cutting with scissors being another.
Although I do use my Wacom tablet left-handed, at least they give you an option in terms of how you want to hold your stylus and interact with the tablet in that regard...

Last edited: