Unreal Engine 4 On Display 'Later This Year'

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
According to G4, Mark Rein has promised an unveiling of Unreal Engine 4 this year:

"People are going to be shocked later this year when they see Unreal Engine 4 and how much more profound an effect it will have," Rein said

No doubt the next generation of consoles are in the works, and it seems likely we'll see releases on the new engine upon their launch.

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
Lets wait and see. I wonder how big graphical leap it will be compared to latest UE3 builds.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
I'm sure that the next generation of consoles is more important to Epic than their "return to their PC roots".

I don't care anymore about that.
I just want to see how powerful will be the engine (and how much is visually superior to Samaritan).

tomcat ha

Feb 2, 2002
Visit site
at least we finally have to really get an upgrade...
i mean you can still game pretty easily with a 8800 and a q6600.

I have a feeling this may be like what MS is doing with Windows. Windows 8 is coming out and it's a fucking tablet OS on PC's. Makes no goddamn sense at all. So hopefully, Epic will not be doing something along the lines like this "oh look at UE4, it runs so great on Iphone 4s"

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I have a feeling this may be like what MS is doing with Windows. Windows 8 is coming out and it's a fucking tablet OS on PC's. Makes no goddamn sense at all. So hopefully, Epic will not be doing something along the lines like this "oh look at UE4, it runs so great on Iphone 4s"
Word. Cell phone games look better right now than I ever cared for mobile games to look anyway. Sure, make them look better, but screw focusing on that crap...

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
You better get used to everything being dumbed down from here on out. We're entering an age of simplicity over functionality. Attention is measured in nanoseconds now. If you can keep a retard in a game long enough to see the ads you need him to see to make money, then that is what will be made.

I have a feeling that the majority of games for the next gen of consoles will be no more complex than your average iPhone game. Only instead you will be doing simple tasks with motion sensors instead of touching a touchscreen. A lot of games will be free, but will have ads that pop up after each turn your take. The larger AAA games will probably mask their high cost by being sold in separate chapters for $10 each. Micro-transactions make companies rich fast. Look at Zynga.

[VaLkyR]Anubis

Foregone Destruction
Jan 20, 2008
Gaia
www.youtube.com
I have a weird feeling about the Unreal Engine 4, but I'm looking forward to this. However, once the new engine is out, I'm only interested in a new Unreal game! When I think of Unreal Engine, Unreal and UT come to mind first!

New engine and perhaps a new Unreal game, ok and perhaps some blablabla, but what is necessary to experience the new engine on the PC? Is it justified or just bollocks?! I mean, I like the UE of UT3, Mirror's Edge, Gears Of War (PC) and Mass Effect, but the current Unreal Engine makes no sense to me...oh well...

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Yeah, that's a sad note - thus far there's always been an Unreal and/or UT game with each
"new" engine.

So, Epic... Unreal 3, an open-world game along the lines of Skyrim. Unreal fits neatly into that sci-fi/fantasy genre with the mix of old and new tech.

Do it!

StalwartUK

Feb 12, 2008
England
Unfortunately it's more likely that they'll just crap out another Unreal Tournament.

If Epic ever returns to the Unreal universe it needs to be something radical and different.

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
So, Epic... Unreal 3, an open-world game along the lines of Skyrim. Unreal fits neatly into that sci-fi/fantasy genre with the mix of old and new tech.

That's not Epic's cookie. And Bethesda isn't going to license UE (I think, I'm not going to eat my trousers).
Epic's characters can take a arrow to the knee, elbow, and ankles and still kick alien ass.

I really don't want to see another Unreal Tournament game. Give me a bulletstorm, or gow, or true-unreal game (for PC). Or... something completely new.

Last edited:

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
Give me a bulletstorm
Maybe. If it has as much customizability as the UT series is famous for then bring it on. Also, they should at least really expand on the Energy Whip. Perhaps replace it with TK like in PsiOps?

INB4 WTF is PsiOps?
Boring. We already had 3 games that really fleshed the series out anyway. If they did do another GoW, I REALLY hope it brings something rather new to the table. Oh, and moar customization.
true-unreal game (for PC)
Maybe again. But if it seems like another rehash of the same boring stuff that was new about a decade ago then FRICK no! If I wanted to play the original Unreal, I'd, well, play the original Unreal.
Or... something completely new.
I'm open to this however that would be a risky thing to market with the UE4. The thing about this is that whatever they come out with, it's most likely going to be just as moddable as the other UT's. I mean, how couldn't it? It's going to have another fully featured UnrealEd, might as well make it complete once again with the fantastic moddability of it's UT predecessors.

I don't think they're going to release the UE4 alongside something that isn't a game related to the Unreal series because if they were, then it shouldn't be called the Unreal Engine. Not only that, if they're going to make massive changes to the traditions of the Engine such as no map editor, it would take away at least a big part of what makes the Unreal Engine, Unreal.

Maybe this all isn't going to make sense to you guys.