Unreal Editor won't open ever! Need help

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Bendezium

Mar 29, 2009
Hi everyone,

I bought a brand new computer for the sole purpose of using UnrealEd. I got to get this fixed. I'm on Windows 64-bit premium. I purchased the Steam version of UnrealEd Black. Here is a link to my system specs:
CPU-Z HTML Dump

What happens is that every single time I launch UnrealEd that snowy environment image that says "Unreal Editor" displays as the program loads. After about 45 seconds of loading, Windows displays a message that says:

"UT3.exe has stopped working
A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.
Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

The box has a Close Program button. I click it and the program shuts down. This occurs even when I run in XP2 compatibility mode (provided I'm using it right, hehe)

The game works perfectly. There is the possibility that the editor loaded the firs ttime I tried, but I can't remember launching it specifically for the first time. Either way it hasn't worked every attempt after.

Any ideas? Possibly work arounds?
Thanks

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Windows what? XP, Vista, 7?
You may try to run UnrealEd directly. Go to wherever your Steam is installed, open steamapps, common, unreal tournament 3, Binaries. Create a shortcut to UT3.exe either in the same folder or on your Desktop, then open its properties and in the Target field add editor at the end (for example, UT3.exe editor). Then just doubleclick the shortcut and see if it runs.

Bendezium

Mar 29, 2009
Woh, can't believe I forgot that. I had the OS in the subject of the other place I posted :p Anyway it is Vista 64-bit Home Premium.

Actually Emerald I don't know any other way to launch the editor than what you suggested, so that is what I've been doing already.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Aah. Another way of doing it is to go into Steam, opening My Games, right-click on Unreal Tournament 3 and choose "Launch Unreal Tournament 3 Editor" or doubleclicking the main option and choosing "Launch Unreal Tournament 3 Editor" from the dialog box that pops up.

Bendezium

Mar 29, 2009
I fixed this by uninstalling and reinstalling Unreal Tournament. I made a backup of my game files before doing anything else after that. I'd love to find a quicker solution though.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
You don't have to re-install the game, all your default/retail files should be intact.

Move your entire "My Games" Unreal Tournament 3 folder when you play with the editor. I had the same issue, I let the game re-create the folder automatically, then cut my work into the new one, and re-adjust my controls, preferences, ETC.

It worked alright. My guess is that this is caused by mutators and mods downloaded.

Bendezium

Mar 29, 2009
Thanks. I don't know what mutators are yet but they sound pretty bad ass. I'll be sure to try this next time.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Mutators are simple mods, and they're really useful :) They can range from weapon packs to game fixes, and the only time you can get problems with them is when they're coded poorly. See this for more info:
http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Mutator_Topics

Also, another way of fixing most problems is repatching. Just reapply the latest patch, and it should be just the same as a reinstall.