Unreal Droids Version 1 Released

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Ultimate Droids Version 2 Released

Me = 1st :D

I'm the 1st to actualy release something that's build with the runtime engine. (YAY)

Now lets hope this works.

I created a mod that allows you to build droids. It's a bit hard to explain, the easiest way to know what I'm talking about is to just try it.

Here is the link to a page I created fast: http://www.rfhq.com/~daid/UD/

It's far from finished, but I wanted to have some feetback in the early stage. And posting it here looked like a good way to get some feedback.

I included a shot of my Speed Demon. It's my only droid that actualy keeps going around the "square race" without crashing in a wall from time to time. And that at almost full speed :)

(oh, and anyone who succesfully gets a floating droid (without tires, but with UpTrusters) around the "square race" is going VERY good, I failed every attempt)

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:

Vito

Mar 18, 2002
In general, it's preferred that rather than making "mods" for the runtime in the traditional UT2003/etc. sense, that you instead rebuild and repackage the runtime as a standalone product. It's called the "runtime" because it's meant to work like it would if you were writing applications and including the Visual Basic or Visual C++ runtime DLLs. We can work with you on this if you'd like.

Additionally, using "Unreal" in your project name would probably be frowned upon, at the very least.

That said, this seems very cool. Haven't gotten a flying droid to work either, I'm afraid...

Hao Niu-rou

flummoxed
Oct 18, 2002
London, Ontario, Canada
Bah thats crazy man, very cool

:( i'm not smart enough to make my own driod that works, I did how ever manage to make one that was fairly competent at doing back flips :D

hehe and congrats and realeasing the first thing :p

Vito said:
In general, it's preferred that rather than making "mods" for the runtime in the traditional UT2003/etc. sense, that you instead rebuild and repackage the runtime as a standalone product. It's called the "runtime" because it's meant to work like it would if you were writing applications and including the Visual Basic or Visual C++ runtime DLLs. We can work with you on this if you'd like.

Additionally, using "Unreal" in your project name would probably be frowned upon, at the very least.

That said, this seems very cool. Haven't gotten a flying droid to work either, I'm afraid...
Well, my webspace overthere is very limited(10MB), and to include 13MB to make it a 'full program' sounded a bit overdone to me. (in stead of 80KB) And this is the only place I posted it yet and most people here would have the runtime... don't they?

Anyhow, this was the 1st test to see if people like it, and it looks like they do :)

Uh, yeah... true :) I'll change the "unreal" in something else.... I can't think of anything right now :D

(WackoZ, the link works fine over here, tried hard enough?)
I won't release anywhere or anything else until i've changed the name. :rolleyes:

Anyway here is another thing to play with:
If you openup your UD.ini file you'll noticed alot of rubbish :)
But also a few lines that say:
PackedDroidConfigBody=UD.UD_MediumBody

Now that represents the type of body used for your driod. If you save an empty droid and change the line that is for that droid to:
PackedDroidConfigBody=UD.UD_SmallBody
PackedDroidConfigBody=UD.UD_MediumBalancedBody
You'll get diffrent bodies :) I totaly forgot to build the "New Droid" function where those diffrend bodies where to be selected ;)
The UD_MediumBalancedBody was more designed for floating, maybe this will help in the everlasting quest for a floating droid.

EDIT: The UD_MediumBalancedBody seems to come with alot of default parts on it, I forgot to remove those.....

Last edited:
Al[Demiurge] said:
Very cool, you made that whole thing in the short time that the Runtime has been out?
Yep, but I did have UT and UT2003 expiriance (as well as VB, and some other programming stuff)
And I'm having a 1 week vacation from school.

Al[Demiurge] said:
Anyone interested in this mod, should check out Mindrover: http://www.mindrover.com/, which it seems to be ripping off. :)
:D you found it :p
I did base it of that somewat game, but that game clearly stays 2D (now way of getting of the ground) Why going 3D if your location structure only has 2 values...?

Next to that mindrover is event driven while mine is Value driven. (now that sounds confusing)

I also have tried numbers of other 'robot' program games, but they alway seems to stay 'to difficult' for the average user (as in need to learn a full programming language) or 'to simple' you can't do '****'.

Next to that I found mindrovers interface very confusing... I mean... those lines are a good idea, but what line does what? You'll have to click on one to see it on the right...

EDIT: Btw, I DID successfully build a flying droid, but I forgot to save it, and I used the Balanced body :)

Last edited:

Vito

Mar 18, 2002
Poor Al!

Al worked on Mindrover and the Runtime, both. He's totally freaking out at the bizarre coincidence of it all. :lol:

[SAS]Solid Snake

Jun 7, 2002
New Zealand
www.digitalconfectioners.com
Heh heh, strange coincedinces indeed.

Very cool, you made that whole thing in the short time that the Runtime has been out?
Well, looking at this mod, it is really mostly code (brilliant might I add) and that's all there is too it. My Stairs mod is just pure code from the start with a few levels. That's probably why it was able to get updated once a week (when I was on holiday) with new bugfixes and new stuff for people to play with.

[SAS]Solid Snake said:
Well, looking at this mod, it is really mostly code (brilliant might I add) and that's all there is too it.
True, the models took very little time, and the map was done in notime.

But there is a huge amount of code ;) The loading and saving exploded to a 400+ lines class (about 2000 words and 12000 characters).... :eek:

Anyhow, I did found a few major bugs (like the collision sensor doesn't work right when you start to tilt over)
And I'm working hard to release version 2.

Next version will include:
nag.gif

-Load/Save will be Load/Save/New, where you can select new bodies.
-3 Bodies (atleast, maybe i'll come up with some crasy body)
-A flying example :D
-Visible lines for the collision sensor
-A few new test envirments, like a circle race, and a 'highway'
-A lap timer for the races
-Renamed to Ultimate Droids
-Red lines!, almost the same as those green lines, exept that they are inverted, 1 becomes -1.
-... out of ideas at the moment :) maybe new menu menu or so.

WackoZ

XMP Beta Target
Oct 23, 2003
Visit site
Well.............

Hey , umm, Daid303 -
(WackoZ, the link works fine over here, tried hard enough?)

Well, being that any effort I can put forth is limited to placing my cursor on the link and clicking a mouse button, I'm not clear what you mean by "trying hard enough", lol
If you mean did I sit here for hours on end clicking away like mad, then the answer to that would be "No."
:p

And I just tried it again and it still doesn't work.
Oh well, I guess.

Last edited:

Mr.Mitchell

Sep 5, 2001
the Netherlands
home.ict.nl
Daid303 said:
Anyhow, I did found a few major bugs (like the collision sensor doesn't work right when you start to tilt over)
Nice, this might explain why my floater after a while just falls over. It now hovers gently to the corner of the course and stays there hovering, but it just falls over after a while. I think I might be able to make this one go around the square track when this is solved.

-... out of ideas at the moment :) maybe new menu menu or so.
Well since you are out of ideas I will provide some ;)
- Add a small icon to the buildingblocks in the Internal design so I can see what each block is.
- Numeric entry of values. It is quite hard to get the slider at the right position sometimes. In those cases it would be convenient to also be able to input the number directly.
- In the Body design make the different components have different shapes/textures so I can see the difference between a normal thruster and an upwards thruster. Same for the wheels.
- Make it possible to see which component is selected. Example: I moved my thrusters around in the Internal overview and I lost track of which thruster was located where on the Body. Maybe also highlighting the selected component on the body??
- Multiple select in the internal view. This makes it easier to rearrange components or update a number of components that need to have the same values.

Well this is my current wishlist, just see what you think is usefull. There is one more thing that I think your mod really needs and that is a way to easily exchange the droids with other people.

BTW: The points mentioned above don't mean that I don't like the mod in it's current state, I love it :)

Mr.Mitchell said:
1) Add a small icon to the buildingblocks in the Internal design so I can see what each block is.
2) Numeric entry of values. It is quite hard to get the slider at the right position sometimes. In those cases it would be convenient to also be able to input the number directly.
3) In the Body design make the different components have different shapes/textures so I can see the difference between a normal thruster and an upwards thruster. Same for the wheels.
4) Make it possible to see which component is selected. Example: I moved my thrusters around in the Internal overview and I lost track of which thruster was located where on the Body. Maybe also highlighting the selected component on the body??
5) Multiple select in the internal view. This makes it easier to rearrange components or update a number of components that need to have the same values.
6)There is one more thing that I think your mod really needs and that is a way to easily exchange the droids with other people.
(I've added numbers to make an easier comment on them.)

1) yeah, I was already planning something like that, but I have to draw textures for each on of them 1st.
2) yeah, the sliders still need work, I was thinking about dragging when you click and hold on it, and when you click like 4 pix left/right from it, it just moves 0.1
3) true, I just was lazy and saved myself building more models :p
4) Actualy comming to think of it... that's super easy, just set them unlit... to bad I just packed up V2...
5) yep, would be usefull, but isn't very easy to implent. :rolleyes:
6) an export function :) yep, I was already thinking about that, but then in a way that people can look at it, but can't change it, so they don't steal your whole droid without your permission.

Anyway...... here it is: VERSION 2

http://www.rfhq.com/~daid/UD/
http://members.lycos.nl/mspa/UD/ (some free host with super large banners)

This version has:
-some major bugfixes
-a laptime
-inverted connections
-3 new testing grounds
-a Spy :eek: (lets you look at an internal value of your droid at runtime)
-a new small body (I found out that the orrigonal was useless because it kept falling on it's back)
-simple new droid (in the load/save menu)

Ok, who's going to brake my 18.5 sec laptime in the square race? :D
(if you jump over from version 1, you might want to check all the set properties, because I changed the saveing a bit (removed a bug in it) and it seems to have messed up my speeddemon :()

Last edited:

[CD]Icedude

Hurf da Durf
Dec 13, 2001
#batcountry
fraghouse.beyondunreal.com
Great... um... well, its not a mod... or is it? never mind, great whatever it is :)

i managed to get a hover one that can go around the circle race in 45.95 seconds :)

how about ading a camera that follows the droid around from behind? its annoying contantly having to change cameras on circle race, and can you fix the light object? or lightn up the obstacle course level, i cant see a thing in there :)

Last edited: