1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Unreal Anthology Problem - Can't patch or mod games

Discussion in 'Hardware, Software & Troubleshooting' started by Drizzt1180, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Drizzt1180

Drizzt1180 New Member

I recently purchased a copy of Unreal Anthology, played through Unreal 2 and decided to see what the gaming community had to offer to continue my experience with it. Once I saw there was an expanded multiplayer addon, I was all over it. Once I downloaded the ~247mb file and tried to install, an error message popped up asking that I insert the Unreal 2 game CD and restart the installation. Sure enough, U2XMP_6497_usa.exe would not recognize my Unreal Anthology dvd as the Unreal 2 game CD. The error persisted. Then I tried downloading the latest Unreal 2 official patch. With that I got an error message saying that Unreal 2: The Awakening 01.07.03 could not be found on my system, and the operation would not proceed. Next I searched this forum for any help, and tried downloading the Unreal Anthology Patch Tool, but it seemed to do absolutely nothing.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? If so, what can I do to fix it?
    Thanks in advance!

2. Helgso

Helgso Helgso

At least I know that happened because the game is not called Unreal 2: The Awakening in the Unreal Anthology package. Or, because of the anthology, it saved the registry (which tells the update program where the game is), differently. Let's say it would look for the registry "Unreal 2: The awakening" but it would be named because of the anthology "UA (Unreal Anthology) - Unreal 2: The awakening". The little "UA - " would be different enough for the updater to be unable to find it.

----

My guess of why this doesn't work is because the Unreal Anthology version of the game is quite different than the original game. They would need to make another version of this multiplayer mod for the UA version of the game for it to work. Sorry, but I think it isn't just compatible :(

Last edited: Jul 18, 2008
  3. Drizzt1180

Drizzt1180 New Member

meh

Yeah I was afraid of that. I thought there might be a way around it simply because its poor programming to make all of the patches and fixes that have been developed and made available for your game over the past years totally incompatible with a certain package that contains the same game. Not only poor programming, but poor functionality.

Does anyone know if there is a way to change its registry location without harming the game? Or if there is a way to tell the patch executable to look for it in a different place?

4. Gothik

Gothik Day Tripper

There is an unofficial patch/hack floating around that skips the CD check for installing XMP. I haven't got a link at the moment, but try searching on the Unreal 2 forums here, I'm sure that's where I found it.

5. Franko

Franko New Member

There's a registry fix out there for unreal and unreal 2, but the link I had isn't working currently.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2008