Unreal Alpha Campaign

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

MakeMeUnreal

Oct 6, 2012
Hungary
Developer:makemeunreal & makemeunrealwife & Vortex Convict
------------------
Good to know.
Unreal 0.83 is the name for two Unreal prototypes compiled during October, 1996. Both prototypes comes from an archive of files for Emissary, an unreleased first person shooter that was going to be on the Unreal Engine. Both prototypes contain some resources from that game, but they will not be covered here because both versions of 0.83 are essentially Unreal prototypes with a few Emissary resources in the files for testing.
Note that this article will mostly refer to the 0.83 prototype compiled on October 3rd, 1996. Some parts, which will be mentioned, are based off of the October 18th, 1996 build.
Source: http://tcrf.net/Proto:Unreal/0.83_Prototypes
After months of developing...my project to recreate some segment's of the alpha's campaign began to take form.

Normally I didn't want it to release for public eyes, but I changed my mind.
I love Unreal, I love Epic's work. I think I won't cause any harm by releasing this:

-More info coming soon-

You'll find a few pic under...
[align=center] [/align]
[align=center]-[/align]
[align=center] [/align]
[align=center]-[/align]
[align=center] [/align]
Weaponry:
Automag:
This little chunk of metal deals fast, devastating bullets right into your enemies head.
The weapon system doesn't need to be reloaded, and holds up to 200 rounds!
It's size and mass is perfect to perform a whip, if you are standing near the bad guys.[align=right] [/align]
Stinger:
This dreadful weapon shoots Tarydium crystals into your enemies skin, and cause a rather poor damage. But if you shoot your enemy once again with an Automag, or Quadshot, their bullet will trigger the side effect of the shards. THEY BURN![align=left] [/align]
Quadshot:
I bet you like double shotguns. Double the barrels, double the mess it will cause. [align=right] [/align]
Machinegun:
It's the big brother of our automag. It's primary fire will pump lead at your enemy in a devastating rate. Secondary fire is faster, and deadlier.[align=right] [/align]

Last edited:

MakeMeUnreal

Oct 6, 2012
Hungary
Flamegun Update!

Normally, the game would crash if you try to pick up the flamethrower(which is a black mesh at all), since it has no code.
I managed to get the max out of the build.
-Working mesh.
-Working weapon slot.
-Custom ammo I made.
-Ammo icon on the HUD.
-STILL NEED SOUNDS.
-As the texture...*sigh* I'll try tinkering with it.

Preview shot:

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Yea but the flamegun still won't work even if you alter the properties, it will just fire once and then stop in my experience, only acting kind of like fake torch lol. Never got it to really work when tinkering with it, i mean aside not crashing. There are sounds for it but they are found in the 88 leftover files. The gasgun sound was used in some missing build apparently for the flamegun where it worked.
Unless you somehow made it work too, in that case I'd like to know what you did alter exactly. But it not working could have been that there was no custom ammo for it and since you mde one, it could have made it work, i dunno.

I'm afraid the texture thing is not possible on it but if it works then that's already good news. And sounds there are for it at least.
Alcapowned worked/works on reuv mapped one though, but for that build it would have to be reimported with the alwaysexec stuff or mac file.
Loading the macro file might be easier though since i believe there's even menu for it. It should make the mesh import easily.

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
It works just fine escept the projectiles. They are good I guess, but they are invisible as you know.
Yea they only give off light in that build, but the firing works if it has own ammo then? wow
How is the fire rate then? It's too bad I can't try it and test it and also give you exact instructions for the mesh importing, but it should be obvious kinda if you look at those mac files from 0.86 mesh sources (since 0.83 mesh sources are missing), the stinger mesh is still identical in the may 97 build too.
Do the fire and altfire differ much?

MakeMeUnreal

Oct 6, 2012
Hungary
I used a little trick there. :p
For the projectiles. There are two of them. So, yea.
Where are the scripts themselves? It would be cool to take a look at them.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
I used a little trick there. :p
For the projectiles. There are two of them. So, yea.
Where are the scripts themselves? It would be cool to take a look at them.
But how does it work, is it a continuous fire or what? Is the rate of fire different at alt? That's what i'd like to know.
The scripts are native in there basically, that should give the hint. You can't view them in the editor, the real code except for the variable list etc.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
They're only in the source, but you can't do anything with that anyway in unrealed. You can make new unrealscript there but it's very different and hardly documented. But the weapons code has been compiled natively, thus its "embedded" into the dll files.
But you didn't answer me anything about the flamegun fire modes still.

Last edited:

Vortex Convict

May 23, 2010
Strange drawing...

I take that as a compliment. :)

Some details I should have worked on more, but I pretty pleased with it.

The inspiration for the drawing is a combination of an early Unreal alpha screenshot and the Wolfenstein 3D title page.

unreal3.jpg

602903-wolfenstein-3d-browser-screenshot-loading-screens.png

The resolution of the alpha screenshot wasn't big enough for me to get all the color details right on the heroine, but she did come out better than I expected. I wanted her to do the Blazkowicz pose, because I imagined her trying to act like a hunter Scaarj on the weaker, albino Brutes. The player character is armed with both a Scaarj gauntlet and an Automag. The purple cloaked figure is supposed to be a monk Nali, inspired by the old texture from the Unreal Alpha.

By the way, MakeMeUnreal, thanks again for posting this for the Unreal editing public twice. ;)

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013

The inspiration for the drawing is a combination of an early Unreal alpha screenshot and the Wolfenstein 3D title page.

The resolution of the alpha screenshot wasn't big enough for me to get all the color details right on the heroine, but she did come out better than I expected. I wanted her to do the Blazkowicz pose, because I imagined her trying to act like a hunter Scaarj on the weaker, albino Brutes. The player character is armed with both a Scaarj gauntlet and an Automag. The purple cloaked figure is supposed to be a monk Nali, inspired by the old texture from the Unreal Alpha.

By the way, MakeMeUnreal, thanks again for posting this for the Unreal editing public twice. ;)

Sock puppet show. Hilarity ensues. :nosuitableemoticonforthisemotion:

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars

You've got to accentuate the figures. Use shadows, contours, give them depth. Now it looks as if the woman is only two dimensional. She's practically a piece of paper crawling against the wall.

As for colours, don't use any random directions. The ceiling f.e. doesn't make sense. Follow the curves. The depth of the wall isn't correct as well compared to the floor. It's, imo, as if they'll overlap. The brute does have three dimensions, but accentuate it. It's tons of fun! Once you're at it, you won't be able to stop for (sometimes) at least an hour. One of the things I really enjoy about drawing :D

And preferably use crayons instead. The results will be much more satisfactory :)

Vortex Convict

May 23, 2010
You've got to accentuate the figures. Use shadows, contours, give them depth. Now it looks as if the woman is only two dimensional. She's practically a piece of paper crawling against the wall.

As for colours, don't use any random directions. The ceiling f.e. doesn't make sense. Follow the curves. The depth of the wall isn't correct as well compared to the floor. It's, imo, as if they'll overlap. The brute does have three dimensions, but accentuate it. It's tons of fun! Once you're at it, you won't be able to stop for (sometimes) at least an hour. One of the things I really enjoy about drawing :D

And preferably use crayons instead. The results will be much more satisfactory :)

I have limited color of markers at my disposal, and they're not as organized as say a color palette for a digital art studio. I can't accentuate figures, use shadows, contours, or give depth like other artists. I know it sounds like heresy, but I was not trained in those areas. This is my style, whether is works for some or none at all. It takes a really long time for me to get all the nifty details in, but I see your point. I should have at least inked in the details on the ceiling and of the other wall. Besides, I have limited time, and I'm more concerned with getting the general idea in my images rather than to strain myself to make my art more realistic. I know problems in my style can be distracting for other artists, but it's the way I work.

Thanks for the tips, anyway. I'll take your advice on the crayons. ;)