1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Unreal 2 XMP doesn't recognize Play disc

Discussion in 'Hardware, Software & Troubleshooting' started by Aerical, Dec 11, 2003.

1. Aerical

Aerical New Member

I keep getting this error despite having my original disc in the drive:

"Please insert your Unreal II Play Disc and restart the installation."

So far, I've tried:
    - Rebooting countless times
    - Downloading XMP again in case it was corrupt somehow
    - Changing the DVD drive letter in the event it changed since I installed it the first time.
    - Uninstalling Unreal 2, then reinstalling it again along with the patch.
    - Unreal 2 plays just fine.
    - The XMP demo worked just fine; I uninstalled it before I tried installing the full version.

Specs: Windows XP Pro, Intel P4 2.66Ghz, ASUS P4PE w/ onboard sound/NIC, 1GB RAM, Nvidia Geforce Ti 4400 w/64MB, Sony DVD-ROM

I've seen this problem posted by others on a few other Unreal sites, but nobody seems to have a solution yet.

Any ideas/help is greatly appreciated.

Aerical

2. Swedix

Swedix Retired from UT2004

Put it the orginal CD.
    It won't work with copies.

3. Aerical

Aerical New Member

It's not a copy. It's the original Play disc I purchased when Unreal 2 first came out.

XMP installed just fine on my older Win2k box with the same Play disc and the same install file. Unfortunately it isn't powerful enough to make the game enjoyable.

Next step I tried was installing an old CD-ROM drive; but still the same problem. Could it be something to do with an IDE driver?

Any ideas/help is greatly appreciated.

Aerical

4. Swedix

As I replied in your other thread:
    If you own a legal copy and still get these errors, try disable DMA for your CD. That sometimes helps. Also, disable antivirus during install.

Give it a try, if it don't work we have to try to find something else.

5. terpsy

terpsy New Member

I would bet you are trying to run it with virtual drive software installed
    (alcohol, daemon tools, clone cd) ?

I have Alcohol 120% installed, and when I try to run the patch, I get the
    same message to insert Play Disc and rerun installation for the patch.

No problem, so I unmount my image of disc 2, and insert the CD into the drive
    (had to dig out of the desk, that is why I use images to begin with) and
    I get the SAME error message....

Their new protection searches for software installed on your machine, and
    then will NOT install if you have Alcohol installed (only Virtual Drive program I use).

Can anyone tell me if it works with their Virtual drive program other than Alcohol 120% ?

I hate protection schemes where they only inconvience the purchaser, meanwhile those who DID pirate the game are running fine. Why not make a Serial Number based protection, we wouldn't have this problem.

Last Unreal title I purchase ince they are telling me what software I can run on my machine, and since I cannot use my images to play from th hard drive (mounts faster, runs better, no longer looking for the correct Disc to install).

What a waste of $50 when it came out.....

6. jsylvia007

jsylvia007 New Member

Having the same problem here

I'm having the same problem that everyone above is having. This is a real bummer, because I only bought Unreal 2 to play XMP. But, like terpsey, I do have Alcohol, CloneCD, and the like installed. To tell you the truth, I played XMP over a friends house and loved it, but having my CD burning software installed is more important than playing the game... so ANY ideas would be appreciated

~Jake

7. Swedix

Hmm, that sounds very strange. I have both Daemon and Alcohol 120% installed and didn't have any problem installing XMP.
    But, none of them were running during installation of XMP.

Can't you just uninstall them during the install?

8. jsylvia007

jsylvia007 New Member

I guess i could... but it's become more principle of the thing now... But... I've found a way.. I'm pretty sure i cant tell you all here... but feel free to shoot me an email and i'll tell you how i FINALLY GOT IT WORKIN! :)

~Jake

9. DeaJae

DeaJae taking a month's break

the problem may also be that the CD is not in Drive D:, i've noticed a few others who had trouble installing XMP on systems which have CD drives swapped or non standard setups.

10. hyrulian

hyrulian Rainbow Brite

:tdown: for copy protection :mad:

11. jcknight007

jcknight007 New Member

Does Not Recognize Play Disk

I've had the same problem. I have a legit copy of Unreal II and after downloading XMP it kept giving me an error to insert play disk even though it was plainly in the drive.

Here's what i did:

First, my CDROM was labeled F: while my DVD was E:
    I changed the CDROM drive letter to D: and rebooted.
    It installed without a problem, although It almost drove me crazy.

Thanks for the posts guys!