unreal 2 vs doom 3?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flare

Banned
Aug 4, 2000
Visit site
Doom 3 is a long ways off from being released, unreal 2 will be released way ahead of doom 3 from what I have heard. but I couldnt resist posting this anyways. Which game do you think will have the best single player experience? Me I think doom 3, I was tempted to ask which one will have the best graphics, but I already know the answer, and if you havent seen doom 3 yet, then just go see final fantasy the movie, thats the graphics in doom 3. ;)

ravenus

The Heretic
Oct 7, 2000
India
Visit site
It'd also possibly require the kind of graphics workstations that were used to make the FF movie to run in real-time.
U2 is already playable on most of the current systems ( atleast those which have a T&L card) if the projected sys specs are right.
Eye candy is always good but in gameplay its the framerates that rule, baby.

stefan

May 24, 2000
Visit site
Hmm... total shot in the dark about this one for me.
I was overly impressed with unreal , starting vortex rikers, and the sequence in the Rjagir mine with the big Skaarj was immensely impressive.
Maps were incredible till I got to the point I completely lost interest, because it was like this: beautiful scenery, fight badass, walk on, beatiful scenery, another badass.
This happene in that big tower in the lavapit( cant remember the map) I never played unreal to the end.
I did doom and doomII.
If doomIII even holds a fraction of the old magic, it will be a hit , at least for the old doom vets.(or maybe not)
Having said that, I can not imagine a doomIII.
I can imagine U2 however, and I think it will be the most invigorating FPS to date when it comes out.

flare

Banned
Aug 4, 2000
Visit site
Of course none of them will survive the onslaught of half-life 2 when that is released next year, or is it 2003? I dont remember.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Damn it people, :( it's not because a game has superb graphics, that it's a superb game.. right?
I mean, what if unreal2 and doom3 have a weak sp game? THink of it. It COULD be possible. Why not? Just because there's a new engine, or an improved engine, and the graphics are really neet and cool ...
Wait til you have played a demo at least of the games, and who knows about hl2, just because the original one was a smash hit, .. well what if the hl2 sucks? Could be possible.
Let's hope these 3 games will be a succes however, in the GAMEPLAY department.
That's so damn important.

Stryker8

Jan 26, 2000
why try to balance one game over another, people put a lot of work in it, it is totally new, something you'v never saw before and still you'r trying to put it against another game.
it can only be balanced when its releases. period

Mind Maze

May 6, 2001
Visit site
I agree with the last reply

We don´t even know exactly how each game will look. Doom 3 and U2 could be in different ways, different lookings and maybe different focuses. Doom 3 dark shoots showed some aliens, soldiers, dind´t see much difference comparing to older dooms. U2 currently is looking more like UT than U1.

B

Bee
Sep 6, 2000
Bussum, NL
www.zdclan.nl
Originally posted by WebSlinger
I don't care, I'm gettin my 1.33 GHz Athlon and Geforce 3 next week, so BRING 'em on!!!

err make that a GF2Ultra, so I can say: "Roger that!"

Next week! yay! (after 4 weeks delay because off my boss :()

Blooddog

Jun 11, 2001
Boras,Sweden
Visit site
I think both of them will be fun.
q2 was better then Unreal!
UT was better then q3!
1-1 between ID and Epic.
I go for U2, because of the big enviroments.Doom 3 with the dark and tight corridors will probebly also be one of the greatest.
Maybe Half-Life 2 will blow U2 and Doom3 away like Halflife did to q2 and Unreal, but I don´t think so.
Aliens VS Predator 2 will probebly also be fun.

ravenus

The Heretic
Oct 7, 2000
India
Visit site
Let's just hope they don't come in rapid succession since that will make a dent in the sales of each game, not to mention leaving us fans cash-strapped ;)
I'd like all these games to be great and successful coz that's what'll ensure the next stream of great games.

Deathwing

Raucous Rodentia
Mar 15, 2000
Canada
These games are too hard to compare. Probably the main reason for that is that Id hasn't made a singleplayer game since Quake 2. Shooters have changed a LOT since then. 1998 was kind of a revolutionary year. We haven't seen how good Id can do on a "new millenium" single player experience. I think they could really surprise us.

darklite

Apr 3, 2000
That's a good question, actually.

Neither Doom nor Unreal 1 had engaging storylines and were both really breakthroughs in engine development more than storyline or gameplay.

Doom was the first FPS I ever played. It did have a certain immersiveness to it -- Half Life is really the only game that came close to how frightened Doom could make me when I played it. But then, understandibly, it had one of the most simple gameplay schemes around. Kill a few enemies, get a few keys, kill the main boss, yada yada. That's one of the things that worried me when id announced they were making a Doom 3 -- whether or not it would live up to the "Doom" name because of the nature of the gameplay for the previous two Dooms, which was fine for it's time, but I doubt it could really compete with singleplayer games with better immersitivity and gameplay.

Although I'm not as anxious about Unreal 2 being good as I am about D3, U1 isn't proof enough that U2 will be an innovative and immersive singleplayer experience. U1 was a breakthrough, like Doom was, graphically more than any other way. It had some decent singleplayer elements.. but the lack of monsters to tide me over until I figured out where I was going made it a bit boring. After playing online UT for a while, the monsters in U1, while probably more advanced than any AI before it, were pushovers compared to humans.

Anyway, I guess I'm undecided as of yet; I'm probably biased to Unreal 2 though, for obvious reasons. :D Only time will tell.

shortyB

Jul 18, 2001
www.unrealcentral.com
I say u2

Well just cause i have been playing Unreal, UT for about 3 years now im just a fan, nothing you can say will break it. I have heard that quake has better code for online play over UT, Doom a better single player story line than Unreal1, but i will still say u2 gets my dallor. It is mine impression that Unreal 1 was breaking ground for some nice features for large maps, some nice handling and more. Unreal Tournament was released to be the break threw Muiltiplayer game we had seen (and did). Now in Unreal 2 they wanna go back to the roots with the most compeling story you have ever seen for a FPS. Its all there in unreal 1 if you ask me you just had to acually read it and get involed. If they picked that one part up right there and make the storyline in your face were you cant miss it, the games a nother hit. Not to mention the graphics are ganna 0wn ;)

Blooddog

Jun 11, 2001
Boras,Sweden
Visit site
I´m going to tell you why U2,Doom3 and HL2 are going to be the greatest of games.
Because ID, Epic and Sierra have done very very good games before.They have hardly ever done a bad game.
I go for them.

ravenus

The Heretic
Oct 7, 2000
India
Visit site
The problem with a half-life 2 is that expectations will be way too high. I don't think any single game no matter how good will top the hype. Valve would actually do better to start off on a fresh venture and not carry the burden of a franchise. Look how much flak they're getting for TF2.
As for id and bad games I got one word for you - Q3A - totally unsatisfying.

Wh0racle

GF3 r0xx0rz j00!!!
Jul 24, 2001
Sykkylven, Norway
at this point U2 has both better graphics and is closer to completion. plus the legend level designers are totally awesome. but the final doom 3 graphics will be better... it irritates me though that people get so hung up on graphics. i mean. a lot of commodore 64 games are better than the games now, cause they cared more about gameplay.

all in all... i think doom 3 will survive on the success of doom and doom 2. just as quake 3 did with quake and quake 2. quake 3 was too simply made. nothing really impressive about it. even though it is fun to play at times.

unreal 2 was told to be one of the best games at e3 and it is not even finished yet. which gives us a hunch of what it will be in the end. :)

i havent really been too caught up in u2 development but i think cliffyb is working with legend on the indoor parts of the game. so we can expect something VERY impressive. the guy is a genious.

Status
Not open for further replies.