1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Uncharted 3 - Drakes Deception

Discussion in 'Games' started by Lruce Bee, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Lruce Bee

Lruce Bee Transcending to another level

I actually got hold of this before the official release date but it was still in cellophane up until yesterday.
    This morning at around 10:00am I decided to fire it up and see what all the fuss was about.
    At 9:00pm, I force myself to turn my PS3 off.
    Basically, this is one of the most awesome single player game experiences I've ever had - period.

2. rejecht

rejecht Attention Micronians

I have Uncharted 3 lying around.
    Finished Uncharted 1 last weekend, then continued on with Uncharted 2.
    Finished Uncharted 2 yesterday--only played these games during the weekends, to get enough continuous time to maximize enjoyment overload.
    The two first games were pretty damn awesome, and obviously, the third game is going to be pretty damn sweet as well.

3. Twisted Metal

Twisted Metal Anfractuous Aluminum

hmm... I think it's time I jump on this series. I think I'll pick up the dual pack tomorrow.

4. dragonfliet

dragonfliet I write stuffs

I have absolutely loved every one of these games, but I have gotten into the habit of getting them for xmas, so that will probably happen with this as well.

5. SleepyHe4d

SleepyHe4d fap fap fap

I was planning to get this but I can't decide if I should play the first two games first?

6. Lruce Bee

I jumped straight into the 3rd in the series and they're stand-alone games in their own right, so no, you don't need to play the previous 2 to get a great single player experience.
    So far, visually, the game has just blown me away and I love the way the story draws you into the whole game.
    The ships graveyard level - just wow.

7. Sjosz

Sjosz (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Played through this the other weekend. Enjoyable experience for sure, but I have quite a few gripes with it. Don't get me wrong, the setpiece events and locations are pretty awesome, but relative to Uncharted 2 I thought this was a lesser experience.

I've been recommending people around me to set it to very easy and just play through it as a cinematic experience, because the actual gameplay systems feel terrible to me. The movement stuff is unreliable when you're in a pinch in a gunfight, accidentally grabbing hold of some ledge or other when you're really just trying to run away from gunfire.
    The thing that makes the chase scene stuff towards the camera frustrating in games is the part where the player doesn't know where to go, so when you've got it fairly tightly timed, coupled with unreliable movement systems, you get these intense sequences to look at to turn into dumb trial & error situations.

And then character/story stuff:
    Where is all the fantastic character tension? Where is all the fantastic character development? Everyone just gets along. Sure, there's banter between them, but there's no real tension anywhere. Even Elena only briefly gets cross with Nathan for him being himself, and then goes along with it.
    The bad guy doesn't really get her moment in the spotlight, or defining moment of why she really is the bad guy other than her agenda conflicting with yours.
    And then lastly, where is the motivation behind all of this? Nathan seems far too willing to risk his life for what appears to be nothing in the end. The whole setup/story just seemed like a vehicle for more crazy sequences and over the top setpieces without actually contributing to the overall experience.

That said, I did enjoy it, and playing it alternating the controller with a friend between chapters made it enjoyable because one of us could just watch the action sequences. I'd recommend it to anyone who loves the Uncharted games, because it is more of that.

8. Twisted Metal

I bought the dual pack yesterday. $40 for the first two games, killer deal.

Fired up the first one and played for four hours straight. It's a lot of fun. The gunplay is a little disappointing though. I have it on normal difficulty and it takes like half of an AK mag to kill somebody. Of course that's an exaggeration, but still, I've shot somebody like 8 times center mass and they're still standing. WTF!

I try to go for headshots but aiming with a controller combined with a big reticle doesn't make it easy.

Still though, awesome game and I look forward to playing more.

9. Lruce Bee

Yeah, any shooter on any console is a pain in the arse personally, so that's a universal complaint on any game from my experience.
    The thing with Drakes, is I don't have to think too hard, no endless backwards and forwards, side missions and massive emphasis on achievements etc, it's the story that pulls you along and it's by far the best looking game I've seen in a long time, so that casual gameplay without having to be ninja and the beautiful locations are killer ingredients for me these days.

10. Twisted Metal

Just beat the first one. Really short, but sweet.

My one major complaint is how repetitive the gunplay is. It just keeps spamming you with more and more enemies as you progress. Each "class" of enemy (sniper, shotgun dude, machine gunner, demoman) is cookie cut from the same mold so there's little variation. At one point the game turned into The Descent which was cool, but also spammy with the amount of enemies that they throw at you.

Final boss fight was lame. The guy had an instagib shotgun and if you didn't follow the scripted pattern exactly you were dead.

Overall it was really fun. I dunno if I agree with the 9/10 reviews due to the above, but it's def a solid 8/10. Looking forward to the second!

11. rejecht

rejecht Attention Micronians

"THERE HE IS!"

The shooting feels a bit THERE HE IS exaggerated at THERE HE IS times, and fTHERE HE ISor that, I appreciate that they did the cookie cutter type enemies, since the story is the main character, thus less brain power is reserved for waves of fairly predictable enemies. Also, ammo.

12. Twisted Metal

Just started playing the second. Holy sh*t. The graphics are unbelievable!

And it seems to be a much more cinematic experience than the first. The opening was brilliant and the way that it jumps around the timeline makes it all the more unique.

Everything seems improved over the first. I'm fairly certain that I'm going to love this game. :tup:

13. Twisted Metal

Just beat the second. Soooo good.

Still suffers from wave after wave of enemies, but somehow it's less repetitive than the first. Probably due to more varied enemies and environments. The guns also seem more effective, and I found myself going hand to hand in a lot of situations which actually worked really nicely.

The visuals are among the best I've ever seen, and that includes PC games. It's amazing what the PS3 can do considering its age.

Naughty Dog is a force to be reckoned with. I'll gladly put down $60 for Uncharted 3.

14. Lruce Bee

Finished 3 last week and I really enjoyed the cinematic feel to the whole thing.
    The combat in hindsight is a little predictable and if I were to criticize any aspect of the game, it would be the AI and annoying rinse & repeat gun battles.
    I played it through on easy, so not sure what kind of experience I would get ramping up the difficulty level.
    The visuals are something else though.

15. Twisted Metal

So I've been playing Uncharted 3 pretty much non-stop for the past couple of days.

It has been an incredible experience thus far.

I just got to the desert and holy mother of f*ck this is un-f*cking-believable. The plane explosion, the skydiving, and the epic presentation of the desert make this one of the best gaming experiences EVER. These graphics are just mind blowing.

When the camera panned around and showed this I was in awe.

[​IMG]

As for complaints, it's the same as what Lruce Bee said. The amount of enemies they throw at you is just too much. It's to the point where you say "enough already!" I think the "3" in the title stands for 3 times as many enemies. Even Nate makes comments such as "this is ridiculous" and "are you kidding me" at the amount of enemies.

16. Twisted Metal

And it's over. :(

Terrific games, some of the finest moments in gaming for sure.

I will say I think I enjoyed Uncharted 2 more and I'd highly recommend those who didn't play it to GET ON IT ASAP.

17. Psychomorph

Psychomorph  

I love adventure games and this series is the only reasaon I regret not owning a Play Station.

I hope they port it to PC at some point or maybe I get a PS3 later. Would be best if they remade it for PC with an up to date engine.

18. Mozi

Mozi Zer0 as a number

I finished playing this game over the weekend. Overall it was good fun, great visuals, but the story was 'meh'...

Seriously fucking spiders... okay one time was fine to see the rush of spiders, but then it seems who ever built the tech said lets use it over and and over... fucking spiders...

19. Vaskadar

Vaskadar It's time I look back from outer space

Throughout both the first and second games I felt like I was playing a movie.

I also got terribly frustrated with the combat sections in both of them. They were never the game's strong point.

20. Slainchild

Slainchild Gold Member

I actually thought the combat in Uncharted 3 was way easier and less prominent than UC2, and of course UC1 (which is very combat-heavy). I played through UC3 on the hard setting the first time and didn't have as much of an issue as I did playing through certain UC2 levels on normal.