1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Unable to move a brush to a certain spot

Discussion in 'Level Editing - Basic' started by Nimbostratus, Apr 9, 2005.

1. Nimbostratus

Nimbostratus New Member

I was trying to add in a small brush for a corner of a ledge's trim, but I couldn't get it to the place I want. It also kept giving me problems with vertex editing (dragging a whole side for some reason. o_O ) I tried duplicating and flipping the one from the other side, but it wouldn't go to the right place. It just skips over the coordinates I want. The only way I could get it to the right place was (after finally managing to get the brush into the right shape) to go into brush properties -> movement -> location. :confused:

2. Reciprocity

Reciprocity Boots of Spanish Rubber

Right click on a gridline intersection nearest to a corner of your brush.

3. ReD_Fist

ReD_Fist New Member

Try to "reset all" before you use your new brush,and mabye use grid 1 unit.
    I allways use 1 grid unit,might make things harder for me but it's the best way.

oops and of coarse have a fresh rebuild before you reset all.
    or before and after rebuild.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2005
  4. MartinW

MartinW New Member

Maybe you have vertex snap enabled.
    That's the first thing I disable when starting the ed. The toggle button is next to the command line field.

5. Bot_40

Bot_40 Go in drains

If you disable vertex snap then you are certainly headed towards bsp errors as soon as you start making levels of any sort of complexity

6. MartinW

MartinW New Member

certainly not

7. Defeat

Defeat GET EM WITH THE BACKSMACK WOOOOO

>What do you mean Bot_40?

8. KingMango

KingMango pwnt

OK it's posts like this that cause problems for beginners. You don't know what you're talking about. Keeping brushes on grid is VERY important.
    Too many brushes off grid and then you begin to create too many BSP cuts in the level. When the Engine builds BSP it looks through the BSP tree and calculates the edges/faces of every brush. When your brushes are on grid you reduce the amount of cuts the engine has to make.
    In the future when brushes skip over the spot you want to put them you can do two things.
    Reducing the camera speed to the lowest setting usually works but if that doesn't do it then you can use one of the orthographic views to move the pivot point of the brush someplace empty. Make sure the brush you are moving is the only thing selected then rightclick in an empty space and then choose pivot>place pivot snapped here.

9. W0RF

W0RF BuF Greeter, News Bagger

:stupid:

I keep the vertex snap off when I'm doing general editing; snap-to-grid combined with right-clicking is often good enough to keep stuff lined up. But when I get into vertex editing, I always hit the vertex snap.

If you have brushes so complex that you need to align them off grid points, you may want to consider making it a smesh instead. But basic bsp work, in my experience, seldom needs to be manipulated on a grid size less than 4.

10. MartinW

MartinW New Member

@ KingMango: I know the difference between vertexSnap and gridSnap. It seems like you messed things up here.

11. XepptizZ

XepptizZ What are you lookin at...

To get things in perspective again;

You've been experienceing vertexsnap, It's an optional function provided by Ued. It makes brushes "snap" to other vertexes when it's near enough, the center pivot is the point the brush will use to snap.

I personally use it in rare cases and thus have switched it of. To switch it of so it won't be enable the next time you open Ued, go to "view" in the top menubar, then to "advanced options" then, in the advanced options, go to Editor>grid>vertexsnap, here you can set it to false, the next time you fire up Ued it should be disabled.

The other thing you've been hearing about here is gridsnap, never disable it. This function makes sure taht the brushes will move according to the grid( it'll move a number of units you specified and is in a number in the power of 2, 2,4,8,16,32 etc).
    Here are the buttons and the explanation of them in short, wich are relevant to the subject.

12. KingMango

KingMango pwnt

http://udn.epicgames.com/Two/UnrealEdInterface#Vertex_Snap
    Since we're at Beyond Unreal I don't think it's inappropriate for me to say I've looked at you maps now since this last post of yours and while there they don't suck, they have no features of any significance to UED technique. I'm sorry about being so blunt in my previous reply.
    There is really no complexity to your levels and you could probably unalign 90 per cent of the verts in maps of this complexity and have no problems.

Last edited: May 2, 2005
  13. Bot_40

Bot_40 Go in drains

You need to make sure 99% of your vertecies are aligned to the grid points otherwise you WILL get errors if you are making complex bsp. I have 5 years experience to back this up and any well known mapper will tell you the same. If you still don't believe me, go and create a 10,000+ BSP poly map with 25,000+ nodes without having gridsnap turned on in UnrealEd 2 and tell me how you got on :)

The problem is that when you build bsp, UED repeatidly devides your level in half over and over again untill it's split into small parts which are easy to render, occlude and do collision calculations on. If you have vertecies and surfaces not aligned to the grid then when UED does this process it will have to round numbers up/down because it can't store numbers accurately enough. This is when you get bsp errors. No level is error-proof but if you don't align all your vertecies to grid points you are asking for trouble and you WILL get errors much much earlier than if you did align everything properly.

Incidently I also presume this is why UED is designed to work with dimensions in powers of 2 like 256, 128 etc, because when building bsp you are much much less likely to get errors.

Last edited: May 2, 2005
  14. XepptizZ

Bot_40 meant to say gridsnap and MartinW kinda left us in the dark about why it was certainly not.

My previous post should clearify what gridsnap and what vertexsnap is.

15. KingMango

KingMango pwnt

16. KingMango

KingMango pwnt

technically no. I don't admin/moderate at UP. Otherwise there is only one King Mango that I am aware of. :D

17. XepptizZ

Hmmm, I think it's really what your POV is about it. And I have no doubt about Bot_40 being a great mapper, coz damn Deck_40 is leet, but I never have vertexsnap on when mapping. I haven't had any problems without it, even though I map things wich are pretty complex. Everything stays nicely on grid.

I actually only use vertexsnap to get a vertex aligned to another vertex wich is off the grid (after I clip or intersect something or other situations where certain vertexes wil most likely be off-grid, archs being a good example)