UEd2 Outdoor Sunlight

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
This has probably been a question already asked but this is a major problem for out-door UT '99 maps.

Since, in UT '99, you'll have to put several individual light-actors all over the outdoor area of your map. Because of that, almost all outdoor maps in UT '99 either have to pretend to be dark or night.

As seen already, maps in UT 2k3-2k4 with some exposure to outdoor areas have sunlight. All sourced from only 1 actor and 1 direction all over the area. I'm trying to do the same in UT '99 but I think some coding is still required. Can anyone help?

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
putting only 1 light whit 10000 of range should do the trick?

or you can (if ur map is like a cavern whit celing holes)put light up of thems (celing holes)

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
well .. try many light and give them a good range of them

sorry i only use 3.0

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
yea i know , if u use a lot of them u might see 3 shadow for 1 tree and from 1 sun , Its make non-sence

XepptizZ

What are you lookin at...
May 17, 2004
In solitude
If you've checked out my scrshots of my beta map CTF-Dawn it doesn't look to bad, the trick is to give every hill a certain ammount on one side, One big tip I can give you and just learned for my self is to set the zonelightning to a blue-ish ammount so the shadowside of the hill or whatever isn't plain black. In ut2k4 they use two sunlightactors to get that effect.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
yea .. i did almost the same ... but u might be paticient whit lightning builing

XepptizZ

What are you lookin at...
May 17, 2004
In solitude
Srry, I'am not a scripter yet. If the engine isn't forced to emit a certain radius it should be possible to make a script, if not you could just try to make a script wich allows for a larger radius, but more likely a light wich emits a higher radius then other lights set to the same radius.

That's preciesly what I do with my maps these days but it's a little long and tiring. First, I place non-incedecent lights over an inaccessible surface above the player, an area not seen by him. I color it orange or yellow. Then, I place another light where the character goes through. (areas not touched by sunlight and/or areas accessible by the player) I color it blue and reduce the brightness... but it's a bit "uncontrollable".

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
kantham said:
well .. try many light and give them a good range of them

sorry i only use 3.0

Like i said 5½ month ago (because martinW bumped this thread), try to use 1 light and make it a little low on lightness , to make it look like a sun.

Do you looked at the link that MartinW gived you? , it's a good idea for it.

Last edited:
Kantham said:
Like i said 5½ month ago (because martinW bumped this thread), try to use 1 light and make it a little low on lightness , to make it look like a sun.

Do you looked at the link that MartinW gived you? , it's a good idea for it.
Yeah... balancing the brightness can settle for the sun.

I've studied ONP as I played it before and looked up the Sunspire at the Intro of ONP through the Editor. A few huge "sun" lights and several "diffuse ambient" lights. The link MartinW gave does give the feeling however, the sunlight obviously looks better if it does not touch the ground too much where the player is.

ReD_Fist

Sep 6, 2004
Michigan
GTD-Carthage said:
That's preciesly what I do with my maps these days but it's a little long and tiring. First, I place non-incedecent lights over an inaccessible surface above the player, an area not seen by him. I color it orange or yellow. Then, I place another light where the character goes through. (areas not touched by sunlight and/or areas accessible by the player) I color it blue and reduce the brightness... but it's a bit "uncontrollable".

Just put a row of static spots on one side of map (dark color) a rotate,then put in another row of spots (light color) on other side of map,shining at the oppisite direction

Also if you want the (meshes=players=items) to glow a certain way, set light to"omnibumpmap"