UDK Highlight: Q.U.B.E

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Epic's UDK showcase spotlight this month shines on Q.U.B.E. from upstart UK development team, Toxic. Starting off as a student project, this 3D puzzler will be coming to Steam later this year. They're already making quite a splash as a finalist in the 2011 Indie Game Challenge. But what is it, you say?

Q.U.B.E., which stands for "Quick Understanding of Block Extrusion," is a first-person game that presents the player with a series of brain-teasing puzzles, ranging from physics-based challenges and 3D jigsaws to platform-based trials.

With the aid of technologically enhanced gloves, the player manipulates and navigates a deep space training facility packed with cubes. The player can pull red blocks one at a time, extract multiple cubes of yellow all at once, use blue for jumping, and push green cubes around in the environment. Memories flash throughout the game to unravel the meaning and purpose of the experience.

Be sure to check out showcase article at UDK as it's a nice testimonial to the power of the engine.

HedgeMaster

May 3, 2009
I'd rather go for some massive onslaught, but this game still looks cool. Feels like it involves a lot of creativity.

Spiney

Jun 12, 2010
I wish the SSAO wasn't as unsightly though. On the upside, it's pretty fast compared to other engines, but I still wish it wouldn't look so blotchy.