1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UCMP

Discussion in 'User Reviews' started by Reciprocity, Mar 19, 2005.

?

Predictions? Bets? Will it give the CBP a kick in the ass?

Poll closed Apr 18, 2005.
  1. OMFG!11 I can't wait for it!

10 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. Not interested...

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. Reciprocity

Reciprocity Boots of Spanish Rubber

How do you guys think the "Ultimate Community Mappack" will go over?

2. ReD_Fist

ReD_Fist New Member

Well there has been more time now since ut04 came out,plus all the mod thingys and maps from the MSU contest.And players have been playing longer to narrow down wich gets played more to thier likeing.
    And the way there promo statement goes somthing like "better playing........." I tthink there will be some good stuff this time around,I only liked a few from the CBP stuff,there all good maps and such,but somthing didnt't do it for me.accept dm-Achillies and dm-reconstruct and a few others.

I think it will come out good
    80% leaning towards ..better than cbp's..

Last edited: Mar 19, 2005
  3. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

We can always use good maps. Usually the best maps come from sets.

4. Manticore

Manticore Official BUF Birthday Spammer

We'll see.......

You obviously have the odd doubt about it.
    I'll just wait and see. It's probably going to be a bit of a mixed bag if the link you posted is any indication. All that means is that there will probably be a bit of something to suit all tastes.

I always look forward to downloading these community packs and seeing what's new; what's hot, what's not....

It's nice we're getting all these free maps.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2005
  5. Reciprocity

It is nice though, isn't it?

All of my preconceptions aside, I'd like to see what the rest of you think.

6. Icedancer

Icedancer Colder than Steel

i predict that it will probably be a huge filesize, and until i upgrade my connection, i doubt i will download it (unless the screenshots look really really really NiCe ;) )

Ice

7. Bot_40

Bot_40 Go in drains

tbh, I don't really like the fact all these map packs have been floating around recently, I'd much rather download individual maps and also I feel the maps get more attention if released individually. That's not only good for the mapper but it's also good for the community.

/me remembers the good ol' days with all the shadar vs projectx 2 discussions etc. Nothing like that will ever happen if everything gets released in map packs.

8. Manticore

Pack death.......

That's a valid point when the mappacks contain maps coming from a lot of different mappers with a lot of different styles and themes.

Perhaps mappack can be useful when it's the same mapper with one particular style and/or gameplay type that they're trying to sell.

Then there's the mappacks that have versions of the same map for different gametypes.

What is a bit too much at times is when you get day/night versions of exactly the same map and exactly the same game type.

A lot of maps from packs end up getting an individual release anyway; such as some of the CBP maps.

What's most time consuming is sifting through the pack(s) and deleting the maps you don't want to keep.......

Last edited: Mar 21, 2005
  9. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

I find that in general maps in map packs get more thorough gameplay testing than maps that are released by the individual authors.

10. caboose88

caboose88 Royale With Cheese

I think it looks great. Definitely looking forward to it.

11. Bot_40

Bot_40 Go in drains

In general, if I download a map pack like cbp, I first give each map like, a 5 min flythrough to see what each looks like. Most of the time it's just like, "Yeah, that one's nice, oh that's one's average, this one looks good" etc.
    Then I pretty much forget what each one is and go back to playing some other map which I know. Can't be bothered to learn the layouts of 20 maps.
    On the other hand, something like redkin gets released, kicks up a lot of fuss (yeah, some positive, some negative :p), I play it, I learn the layout, it becomes one of my regular maps. There may be some decent maps in map packs I've downloaded but I can't be bothered to sift through 20 maps to find them so they just stay gathering dust.

The only time a map pack has really done anything for me is the good ol' 1on1-pack for ut. Not too many maps, and they were all way above average (except for that mame one urggg ;) ). Quality, not quantity.

12. Manticore

Agreed.........

Yep, a lot of flythroughs get done. These days I don't have as much time for playing so not everything that ghets released gets played.

Luckily I can't rmemeber one pack where ther has not been one or two gems in amongst the also-rans....

13. Reciprocity

That is an interesting viewpoint, Bot. I personally like the CBP because..
    1) It's one of the only times the better mappers of the community can be poked at for some mappage.
    2) Despite the long download time (I'm on 56k here), it extends the life of my UT sessions because I've got more content that I know what to do with.

One has to wonder why the CBP team doesn't just give to people like me and stick thier maps up individually somewhere. They could have thier unified effort and maybe accomodate some competition between the different levels like you mentioned.

14. Manticore

CBP goodness......

Some of the CBP's have come up individually but generally these packs are of a high standard. I think they have quite a few pro mappers in there.

56k must make life difficult. Having had broadband for a few years now I don't know how I did without it. I suppose I just wouldn't be downloading, commenting and posting as much...

15. ArcadiaVincennes

ArcadiaVincennes Level Designer

Just wanted to say hi and thanks for the varied opinions. It's interesting to see what ya'll are thinking.

I hope we don't dissappoint any of you - although there will be those that are, I hope they're in a much fewer percentile than those that are pleased.

And we are planning on releasing the maps individually about 1 month after mappack release.

Thanks for the insight!

-AV

16. Reciprocity

Hey AV. Sorry about the abraisive comment earlier. What I meant was that some of the maps look a little...like...just short of greatness.

17. ArcadiaVincennes

It's no problem - As I said - it's been interesting reading all of your perspectives. No need to apologize...

You're all entitled to your opinions and I respect that. Some of you will not like it. Some will say they're too pretty with too little gameplay value. Some will say that the FPS are too low.

Hopefully some will say it's superb. ;)

Honestly, we're just trying to do our best and to learn and grow and get better. Part of that process is positive AND negative community feedback. And we welcome both.

With community feedback we'll get better and we'll know what to do more of, what to do better, and what to never do again. If this one doesn't spark you, maybe the next one will.

Again - I have no problem with any of ya'lls comments. I hope you'll all give us your honest opinions when it comes. My sole request is that the negative comments be contstructive and not "OMFG U R Teh 5UXX0R5." - Hehehe. You get the idea.

Thanks for the opinions all!

18. Reciprocity

Cool. Hey, if you guys need some beta testing done or a public relations..erm..guy..know that I have alot of free time, a decent rig and know good stuff when I see it.:)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2005
  19. ArcadiaVincennes

Thanks for the offer but we're all set at the moment.

If anyone has any other comments on the upcoming UCMP I'd love to hear them.

20. Juggalo Kyle

Juggalo Kyle Sup brah.

woah, somebody made a thread about our outcome :) well thanks for being interesting on what the rest of the community thinks of the ucmp. its pretty hard for me to think right now, spiting headaches are not fun. but yeah, Michael M gave me a link to this a while back, i think the day it was started, but i couldnt post because my account was messed up or something, but who cares about that right now. lol, im not going to be dumb and vote ;) just wouldnt be right. but yeah, thanks again for being interested in our work! :) :)