1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UC2?

Discussion in 'Unreal Tournament 2003/2004' started by shadow_dragon, Aug 26, 2004.

1. shadow_dragon

shadow_dragon is ironing his panties!

I like Uneal games, they're great right? Sure most of you will agree, also, their community support is pretty damned fine too. So i was reading up on Unreal Championship 2. Which consists of two things i'mr ather keen on aparently, mellee combat, (To see this done properly would be excellent) AND some mortal Kombat characters WITH Fatalaties due to the Midway tie in, excellent stuff.

Now i own a pretty nice PC and a PS2, because, in my view one console and is enough if you've got a pc, but, for the life of me, i can't understand why UC2 has to be Xbox only? Am i wrong to feel a bit annoyed about this? Or am i wrong and it'll be available on another platform?

2. edhe

edhe ..dadhe..

Microsoft :)

If you want UC2 you've got to get an xbox - Unreal Championship was xbox only, 2k3 being it's botched PC version.. thankfully they got themselves sorted for 2k4 and UC2 is not a minor update, it uses Unreal engine 2.5 (2k4 uses 2) and is bringing in the mélée dynamic.

Epic signed a contract recently with MS for publishing Xbox games, as is their right, so this will probably be the first in a line of UEngine games being on the xbox only.

If i were you i'd start saving, i know i'm thinking about it.

3. shadow_dragon

Xbox makes me angry, i'm too stubborn to buy one now. I don't know why Microsoft feel they have to OWN everything! :rolleyes:

With luck they'll release an unreal game which is almsot very much like it having everything it has with something different in UC2 doesn't and then not release it on the Xbox! Just seems so wrong, all of those lovely Player models, a nice engine and game features wasted on a community that might not be able to mod it at all. (I assume the xbox can't run the Unrealeditor, though i assume mods and stuff could be downloaded.)

Just seems so wrong to me, i have my mortal kombat game on PS2, i have my unreal game on my pc, and now theres a middle ground that i can't reach! :( Buying another console is just silly, being a mere student as i am!

4. edhe

edhe ..dadhe..

They're not marketting for students, they're marketting for late teens/adult gamers who can afford it ;)

MS, like any business, want to make money, having a niche market is how to make money. Don't blame them for doing business, and epic won't mind so much - they'll get a much higher percentage of people playing on genuine copies than if it was a PC release.

The 'why can't they be nice to me myself and I' doesn't work when it's the real world and there's still a million other people with wages ;)

5. shadow_dragon

Late teens/adult gamers? I'm 21! :p

I'm not saying it's wrong for them to release a game as they please, obviously, their product they can sell it how they please and aim for whatever market, but, they seem to be rather slecetive if they only supporting one platform. Though it seems a rather annoyingly popular one. I suppose i am wrong to be annoyed. Just a shame i'll never see proper mellee support in tournament!

I'm not saying i disrespect Epic in anyway BTW, they make the best series of games i've experienced so far, i even believe that they've succesfully carried the modding community from UT99 to the new engine rather succesfully and can't wait to see what happens next.

Just saying, i think anyone who owns an Xbox should probably be stoned to death!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2004
  6. Lise

Lise Being a girl makes you kick more arse.

Uh, Edhe, FYI dude, you messed up on the engine versions 2K4 and UC2 are using. 2K4 is using UnrealTech 2.5. UC2 is UnrealTech 2X, the version of UTech 2 that has been optimized specifically for the NVidia hardware powering the XBox. The Unreal Technology Site would have backed up this assertion a few months ago, but those contemptible rat bastards at Epic removed any distinction between UTech 2 and UTech 2.5 - presumably since nobody in their right mind would liscense the older version of UTech 2 anymore. (The Unreal Developer Network refers to UTech 2 and UTech 2.5, though.) There's still a distinction between UTech 2 and UTech 2X, tho.

Just thought I'd be a smarmy little know it all and clear that up. :D As to the XBox issue... that's one I'm not touching with a 10-foot pole. As a business, though, Epic would be foolish not to take advantage of a platform so similar to the Windows PC they're familiar with - which is what the XBox is.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2004
  7. rajput_warrior

rajput_warrior The World's Favorite Flak Monkey

who cares about that, they need to port over those models to the pc, they look ****ing insane, gorge and selket, wow, raptor, OMG!

8. shadow_dragon

I don't know! I've looked at the game a bit, i suppose it's not really UT2k4+extras, it's more like, a sequel to UT2003, if it'd gone a different way..... Which is fair enough. Also i don't imagine it would've been very practical to put things like that into a bonus pack, what with new weapons and new animations. I suppose it's an entirely different game really. :S

But as Rajput said, those player models look awesome, if we had that Anubis player in Tournament folks wouldn't mind so much about the Egyptian players i reckon. Heh heh!.... But yes, i can see now why Championship is like that, if it were released on PC people would want it as an update to 2004, and to do that a lot of 2004 would probably need to be redone.

9. Lise

Lise Being a girl makes you kick more arse.

Keep in mind that, like everything else in UC2, they're designed to use some XBox hotness to maximum effect... it's quite likely that Epic couldn't release the models for 2K4 without neutering them first.

Of course, I am highly amused that their textures seem to be lower-res than the 2K4 player models... at full or even High settings, a 2K4 player model doesn't texellate at close range like a UC2 player seems to. ;)

10. shadow_dragon

But that Anubis model is perfect, Lauren, Gorge and raptor beautifull new models for them!

I see what you mean about low res textures though!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2004