1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

U2:INF or UT2:INF???

Discussion in 'General Infiltration Discussion' started by fauker, Jan 6, 2002.

?

Which one??

1. Unreal 2

8 vote(s)
    38.1%
  2. UT2

11 vote(s)
    52.4%
  3. It shouldn't be converted. (tell why)

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  1. fauker

fauker Louqe

Will INF be converted to Unreal 2 or UT2? If any.

Which would be better for INF in terms of player models, maps, etc.

2. -=SDS=-Coop

-=SDS=-Coop INF Online moderator

I dont think its going to be converted. Last I read in the roadmap (when the roadmap was still up that is) that eventually, Sentry Studios plans on leasing the UT engine, so they can sell Inf as its own game, completley independant and unaffiliated with UT (other than the engine and editor). If they convert inf over to U2 or UT2 Leasing that engine may cost them more money. That and I read that the level formats were completley different and that a UT level cannot be brought over to U2 or UT2... then again i read this a few months ago. So if they were to lease a newer engine, everyone would have to somehow convert or remake their maps, maps which have taken alot of time and effort to create. So yea, i dont believe the Inf team would do something like that.

3. rgreene

rgreene frag bait

Back when my company was looking at liscensing the Unreal technology it sounded as if the way Unreal liscenses worked was that you got access to the LATEST technology. So if the INF team did stike up a deal to get Unreal Tech, then they'd get some form of the UW engine. Naturally, as all lisences work they'd have to find some version which they are happy with and then do a freeze on the core engine, and start modifying/expanding it. However, AFAIK they would still get support from EPIC.

So, in sort... IF they were going to liscense Unreal (which is a rather good chunk of change) then it really doesn't make sense for them to be working on the UT version of the Unreal Technology.

4. Guardian_BOB

Guardian_BOB Glitch! BFG!

U2 UT2 ?? They are separate games ? Ok perhaps some explanation (links) of these to us 'newbies' would help. I only got Unreal Tourny to play INF (only played the doom-quake lineup before) I thought UT evolved from Unreal but perhaps not ?

Right I'll just crawl back under my table now...No wait U2 is some sorta band right ?
    :D

5. asmodeus

asmodeus DB addict

let's be obvious:D

U2: sequel to the original unreal

UT2: sequel to the original UT

do what you want of it:)

[edit]oh yeah, please it be UT2:)[/edit]

6. 2_SeeK_U

2_SeeK_U uni.... meh...

U2 is Unreal 2...the sequal to unreal...(makes sense doesn't it??)

And

UT2 is UnrealTournament 2, the sequal to UnrealTournament....

Damm l'm slow...oh well
    I want it to be on UnReAl/\_2_/\

Last edited: Jan 6, 2002
  7. asmodeus

asmodeus DB addict

haha insta-posted!:p

8. FiringAimlessly

FiringAimlessly NOT going to waste another minute on CS!

whichever one's cheaper :p

9. 6mm

6mm Shooting first..shooting some more......

Diablo, it might be more complex than that. Will U2 have MP support? Any netcod eat all? Or will it just be SP based?

10. Farouk

Farouk Adept

Unreal 2 will also have a strong MP part but UT2 will have driveable vehicles!
    I think it wouldn't be hard at all for Sentry Studios to use them as a base for realistic ones.

11. SGT.Peelover

SGT.Peelover Feuer Frei .... BANG! BANG!

UT2 has that realistic physic code that allows like..well real physics. So I think it would be better for INF.

12. NotBillMurray

NotBillMurray It's Suntory Time!

The impatient part of me would vote for U2, but I would rather them have the latest build to work off of, so UT2. But it's probably going to be tough playing through U2 and knowing that INF won't be made for it, especially with the outdoor environments.

13. rgreene

rgreene frag bait

When I saw U2 at E3 last year they had driveable vehicles.

14. LiquidTitanium

LiquidTitanium New Member

Eh... maybe I could use some help, but isn't U2 already out? I mean, what was the purpose of making UT is the U2 wasn't finished? Also, I thought that UT2 was the only Unreal game being currently developed.

15. OpFor

OpFor Feeling suicide, thats O.K.

O.K, lemme get things strait.

INF is porting too Unreal 2 (the sequel too unreal) And the team keeps on announcing this in the forums, and in Warrens not so weekly update.
    Unreal Tournament 2 is the sequel too the game we are playing now.

The main links of Unreal and Unreal Tournament series is that your in the same game universe. Unreal was about one side waring with another, basicly, while UT takes place during the same time period, but runs with a separate story line (jockeys fighting in a tournament) Unreal too continues the story of the original Unreal, while Unreal Tournament 2 continues the story of the game we are playing now (err, the game that we bought originaly) Unreal Warfare is as far as I can tell just a build of an engine, or a concept of a game in 2003.

16. asmodeus

asmodeus DB addict

then, as UT2 will be for multiplayer (logically) it should have better netcode, right?

17. OICW

OICW Reason & Logic > Religion

I suggested to an Inf member whether donations for the engine licensing would help (finance-wise) or not and I was told no.

Well, let's say that 6000 people here (pure speculation) donate $20US each.

That's $120 000 for the Inf team finance and if the Unreal technology is about $250 000 US, then they're virtually half-way.

Of course, organising a seperate account for the donations, paper-work, bank fees, legal issues etc would be a night-mare...still, if those issues could be woked around....

I'd pay for a retail Infiltration game using the Unreal 2/UT2 engine with single-player and/or multi-player :)

18. fauker

fauker Louqe

Yeah man, didnt the INF team always talk about implementing a vehicle code? Now they could finally have it!

19. <P^R>Imperial

<P^R>Imperial Bleh

Which everyone Inf is getting ported to im gonna buy. I hope its UT2 though.

20. Tiran Kenja

Tiran Kenja CO of Creepers

Perhaps. Perhaps not.

U2 and UT2 are not 2 complete rewrites with just the same Universe as the backdrop. They use the same engine too. The only exception is they use diffrent versions of it. And that U2 isn't made by Epic (so the changes made since it was handed off might not be merged into the Epic Unreal engine the same way Epic changes would).

What that will amount to I have no idea. But it is still a fact that the two products will be using a very similar engine. And that the basic way MP works in UT isn't likely to change dramatically in new versions of the engine (it seems pretty central to how the engine is build. It might be optimized tho)