UE1 - UT .u packets that work in UED 1 don't load in UED 2.0

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Mircea

Feb 25, 2008
As most people know, when Unreal Tournament 99 was released it came with version 1 of Unreal Editor, the exact same editor in Unreal classic. The v436 patch for UT classic changes the editor to UED 2.0 which is much better and the latest version of UED for the Unreal 1 engine.

I have a problem however; Apparently, some .u packets that opened in UED 1 refuse to load in UED 2.0. I could load the packet without any problems in version 1 but in 2.0 the packet just won't load and behaves like its not found. If I go in unrealtournament.ini and put the packet there as EditPackages=PacketName, I get an error message saying "Can't find edit package 'PackageName' - History: UEditorEngine::Init <- InitEngine" when I try to open the editor, while the package is there in the System folder.

Is there any way to convert these .u packages that are UED 1 compatible only to open in version 2.0 of UED too? It would help me really much, thanks.

Last edited:

Mircea

Feb 25, 2008
You'd have to decompile it in UEd1 and recompile it in UEd2, fixing any errors caused by differences in the code.

How do I do that exactly? I never worked with packets or any scripts in mapping before so I'd need a detailed description. Also, I think it's a .u file that also contains textures, meshes and the like. Thanks.

Mircea

Feb 25, 2008
Load it up in UED1's actor browser, there should be an option in there to export the scripts.

Done half of that so far. I went in UED 1 and to the lower-right corner I clicked the button "Export All". It exported all my .u files to folders with the names of the packages in the main installation folder, each with a subfolder called Classed in it which contain a lot of files.

However, I don't know how to import / convert that back to a .u file under UED 2.0 now. Where's the option to re-make that folder to a .u file again there? Also, will the .u package be arranged exactly the same way and under the same names and without missing any textures or models or anything else, so its compatible with the maps without requiring other modifications?

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
Wait, "can't find" means it's not there. Are you sure the package is in one of the directories listed in the Paths list under [Core.System]? By default that would only be the System directory for .u packages, i.e. where UnrealEd.exe is located.

Also, there might be additional details in the log file. (Editor.log or UnrealEd.log, I think)

Mircea

Feb 25, 2008
The file is there and with the correct name like all the others, I'm sure. I also checked out the editor log and it doesn't say anything relevant. I need to re-import the .u package exported to folders now, but i just cant find how to do that in ued 2.0 :(

[EDIT] Apparently I seem to have other problems alongside this so I guess I'll admit exactly what I'm trying to do here; I have a game on the Unreal 1 engine (which isn't UT or Unreal) and it comes with Unreal Editor 1 but I can't use it for what I want. This game doesn't have any patch to convert it to UED 2.0 so I'm manually trying to rip parts from Unreal Tournament (with UED 2.0) to upgrade the editor in this game to 2.0 too but there are too many issues and it doesn't work.

So in reality, what I need is a way to upgrade UED 1 to UED 2.0 in a game that doesn't have any patch to upgrade it to 2.0 (like UT has the v436 one which does that with a single install). I did a silly mixing of files such as an engine.u from here and a core.dll from there, but it doesn't work and both the game and editor give me errors if I start them. I know, it's something cruel and very silly... didn't mention this at first cuz people would have said it's stupid and it can't be done like that which apparantly it probably can't. So can I find UED separately anywhere, or a patch to upgrade UED for a non-ut game or anything of this sort? It would help me a lot if anyone knows a way.

Last edited: