UE1 - UT Two Skyboxes?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Angel_Mapper

Goooooooats
Jun 17, 2001
Cape Suzette
www.angelmapper.com
Yes, but you need a custom actor. I believe CTF Catherine has this actor, although it might have been embedded...

Surely someone still has it somewhere.
Yeah, it was embedded, and still available on my site.

Madis, if you want to embed it in your map so you don't have to include a separate file, go to my site and download CTF-Catherine, and then open it in the editor, then immediately open your map. The actor will appear in the actor browser as a subclass of the normal skyzoneinfo. Put one in your map, save then close the editor. It will be embedded in the map file.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
It would be so awesome to have a map that uses the server time to change during the day.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
I knew someone would come up with the idea eventually ;) . Having run a few UT1 servers maps have always come accross as "timeless" even with some fancy scripting. Introducing events depending on time would give them a new dimension ... and also remind some players that it's part bedtime :p .

As for Tamearia, shame you had to abandon it. Perhaps a similar project could be ressurrected under a semi-open license. There's only so much one person can do.

P.S: I've kept that ut2004 mutator you made that spawns something at the skybox location. Maybe it could be made into something that could be used on all maps.

Last edited:

War_Master

May 27, 2005
What I would like to see is a set of skyboxes where they can be activated randomly between a sunny day or a rainy-thundery day. I think that would need something like a triggered skybox that can be activated by a trigger that can random right before the map is visible to players. What you guys think?

Btw, I've seen this effect in fighting games before, which gave me the idea for a UT map. But, since I'm not that advanced in UScript, I can't implement it.

Last edited:

Angel_Mapper

Goooooooats
Jun 17, 2001
Cape Suzette
www.angelmapper.com
As for Tamearia, shame you had to abandon it. Perhaps a similar project could be ressurrected under a semi-open license. There's only so much one person can do.

P.S: I've kept that ut2004 mutator you made that spawns something at the skybox location. Maybe it could be made into something that could be used on all maps.
I'll probably be developing Tamearia as a full game using the Torque engine license I have, but that won't be until after MSUC.

I totally forgot about that skybox mutator I made. I forget exactly why I made it, someone requesting to get rid of the skybox or something. :confused: I remember it spawned an unlit green sphere around the SkyZoneInfo though.
What I would like to see is a set of skyboxes where they can be activated randomly between a sunny day or a rainy-thundery day. I think that would need something like a triggered skybox that can be activated by a trigger that can random right before the map is visible to players. What you guys think?

Btw, I've seen this effect in fighting games before, which gave me the idea for a UT map. But, since I'm not that advanced in UScript, I can't implement it.
The skybox switching would be easy enough, but the lighting in the map would have to be made to look right with either sky.

Apr 11, 2006
Would definitely be an interesting idea. The lighting would be a challenge to get right.

It wouldn't be synchronized to real time, but presumably you could have a corona attached to a mover representing a sun, and when it got to a certain point of the day, change the skybox/material to represent sunset / night.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
I totally forgot about that skybox mutator I made. I forget exactly why I made it, someone requesting to get rid of the skybox or something. :confused: I remember it spawned an unlit green sphere around the SkyZoneInfo though.

I think it was me that asked for it. It was to offer something equivalent to a tool that exists for Quake but Rypel didn't see the point of it. I might eventually integrate myself though.