Two new Titan pack maps

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

p3rplx3d

in the desert
Mar 22, 2008
surprise, az
I wanted to comment on two new maps in the Titan pack, Shaft and Koos Barge and the reason why I think they are the best maps that Epic has released for UT3.

I am not talking gameplay necessarily although they both play well, but these two maps feel "UT" to me. Maybe this makes so sense to a new player, but I would assume the old school UT99 players get what I am saying.

I love the nanoblack stuff, the remake of Coret and all the "Asian" type maps. But these two maps feel raw, and bring me back to that UT99 feeling I remember. The new UT3 gameplay was always kinda like that. But I really felt like I was playing UT this weekend when playing these maps.

Maybe I am reading too much into it. anyway, thanks epic!

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Then perhaps you'd be just as pleased with WAR-ColdHarbor which is very similar in theme to KoosBarge?

Shaft, to me, is especially a throwback in style.. at least until you get to the middle area.

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
Yeah, KBarge is also one of my new favourites with its arctic theme, but original KGalleon still feels better :p

LANCE.xd

Flak Monkey
Feb 19, 2006
The Countdown Node
Actually, I think my favorite part about KBarge is the sky/background. The movement and rocking of the boats is very convincing. In fact I had to "slomo 10" in the console just to see that the boats weren't actually moving. :p

iron12

Mar 28, 2005
Worst maps are the ones with spidermines. People thought spidermine gun was lame so why did they take it away and put something in that was even lamer.

d3tox

Face down in a pool of his own vomit.
Apr 8, 2008
Shaft is confusing.

Shaft is good, but you do need to play it a couple times to get the layout down. I really like this one, as well as Nano. CTF got a couple good maps that should really stand up to the test of time out of this pack, if only TDM could have gotten the same love. (I haven't tried Koos tbh, anything associated with the ut99 koos has a hard time exciting me.)

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
My general gripe with some of the new map is the excessive use of loud ambient sounds, especially on Koos Barge and Hostile. Some of those are much louder than the usual game sounds or weapons, etc.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Shaft is confusing.
It's really not if you ghost through it once.

You basically have a round two-level flag room with exits low to the main hall, and high/low to a right-side chamber.

From the right-side chamber you can enter the hallway or cross-over high to an alternate exit, both of which lead to the open center area.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
It's really not if you ghost through it once.

You basically have a round two-level flag room with exits low to the main hall, and high/low to a right-side chamber.

From the right-side chamber you can enter the hallway or cross-over high to an alternate exit, both of which lead to the open center area.
I guess I should have said the top floor of Shaft is confusing. Even though I know that door is crooked and goes from right to exit on left I still always get stuck TLing over there.