1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Two new 2k7 videos

Discussion in 'Unreal Tournament 3' started by BadAss84, Apr 22, 2006.

1. Wail of Suicide

Wail of Suicide Member

HeadshotDamageMultiplier=1.25

2. SirYawnalot

SirYawnalot Slapping myself in the face

I would second that, but wait, I already did! :B

3. DeathBooger

DeathBooger Malcolm's Sugar Daddy

Who is this yellowsubmarine guy? Is Epic pulling our leg? Did you see the latest videos he uploaded?

4. neilthecellist

neilthecellist Renegade.

No idea what you're getting at, I look into it later, of course, as I always do.

5. Neophoenix

Neophoenix Bast's Pet

I could be wrong, but isn't CS insta kill if shot in the head? So how is increased damage anywhere close to instant death?

6. Slainchild

Slainchild Gold Member

If they were to make it so that you take more damage to the head with all weapons, the head shot "area" would have to be very small, I think. Otherwise everyone would just spam link or whatever at head height and rack up lots of kills without actually doing much aiming (imagine flak, unpredictable shards, maybe 5 connecting with the head bone). If you had a very small headshot area, it would make the sniper headshots redundant since you would never hit the area. It would just make the game (well, certain weapons) very unbalanced in my opinion. Keep headshots to the sniper only please.

excuse my crappy theory/explaination, it's too early :p

7. SirYawnalot

Actually it's very unusual for it to cause instant death on someone with full health and armour (I think most weapons generally do ~70 damage on an armoured guy with a headshot... sniper weapons excepted, obviously), so it's a sign of how devastating this method is with automatic weapons that you think it's instant death. Also, any Aliens vs Predator 2 player can tell you how extremely an all-weapon-headshot-zone alters the gameplay dynamic.

8. _Lynx

_Lynx Strategic Military Services Staff Member

And that'll be a futuristic counter-strike/CoD and not and Unreal franchise. Thanks.

headshots for every weapon will disbalance the gameplay. Any weapon delivering high constant rate of fire will be literally abused. These are minigun and link gun in secondary mode. Most of the new players will use these getting lots of headhots without any skill. Mostly anyone can hold the button and to aim at the top of the model. SR and LG have headshot feature exactly because getting a headshot is matter of skill. Skill is pressing the button exactly when the head is under crosshair and not just holding the button and waiting until line of fire crosses enemy head.

9. Kharnellius

Kharnellius .

Thanks for summing up what I've been trying to say....perfect summarization. :tup:

10. Wail of Suicide

Wail of Suicide Member

I don't see why there's such a kneejerk opposition to having shots to the head do more damage. Honestly, I always thought weapons worked this way back in UT99 and would always aim directly at the enemy's head. Like I pointed out before, you can easily adjust how much extra damage a hit to the head area does -- I think it's pretty absurd to see people complaining about headshots from a minigun when you can adjust the multiplier down... A 15-25% increase in damage on a minigun bullet means a mere one or two more damage. Hardly the stuff nightmares are made of. As far as I'm concerned that's a pretty bum deal when countered against a hugely increased chance of missing (if you're aiming at the head).

As for freak accidents, yes, freak accidents will happen and do happen and have happened. Nothing new here. I'm certainly on board for not having non-sniper weapons trigger the "Headshot!" announcer, as that exists for the purpose of rewarding exceptional shots. Ultimately, though, I see nothing wrong with encouraging and rewarding aiming at critical body parts with all weapons (even the rapid fire ones) instead of just treating the player as some uniform cylinder that takes the same damage whether the weapon effect hits its toe or its brainpan.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2006
  11. f.sardis

f.sardis Member

whether you like it or not, with the technology progress all games now tend to be one step closer to realism.
    **** extreme physics when headshots are selective only to specific guns. where is the realism in that?
    to make a game realistic it has to be realistic all around. like it or not, making the weapon damage realistic is part of it. if you dont like it go play cartoon tournament 2007.
    in every way you think about it, what the hell is the excuse for an enforcer not to register a headshot? isnt the bullet big enough to do damage to the small brains of the likes of gorge?
    i want the game to progress, not stay the same with just beter graphics. i want welcome changes to the gameplay, not just weapon damage and rof tweaking. I want something that will make the game more realistic.

12. SirYawnalot

If realism is all that's important then why don't we have to go into a minigame each time we reach a health pack, using your elite veign-finding madskillz to inject bacta or whatever the Unreal equivalent is before someone shoots the needle off the syringe? Or, oh yes, why isn't Jurassic Park: Trespasser's infamous INTERACTIVE HAND now a universal hallmark of gaming?
    Because it's NOT all about realism, it's about the damn fun! It never will be all about the realism unless/until we all take our gaming into virtual reality simulators, and even then I bet all-weapon headshots would diminish UT2050.

Sorry if this comes off as a flame by the way, I don't intend it that way, I just disagree vociferously.

13. Olga

Olga Miffed

Mod the game when it comes out then, if you'd like to create a "doesn't resemble UT" mutator.

14. toniglandyl

toniglandyl internal data fragmentation : 62203480%

and anyway, UT2007 will stay with a character hitbox and not a per-pixel damage, since there will be alot of different models, so no big realism in this case :p

15. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

Glad people are backing me up on this :)

16. f.sardis

f.sardis Member

i was thinking about it...
    the Real Unreal mutator....

about the health pack comment by yawnalot,
    i dont take it as flaming but i can see the point you are trying to make. do not forget though the point of the game is not a medical simulator, its a shooting game. we want realistic weapon simulation and damage. the realism should focus on the shooting mechanics and not on the gameplay supplements. you could argue that max realism would require no health packs and no respawn after death but those things are covered by the sci fi nature of the game.
    you could just say that a health pack is nano tech that fixes wounds and that upon death you are teleported and fixed by nanotech and teleported back to the map, hence the respawn. those things can be tolerated in the sci fi nature of the game pretty much as a plasma gun can be tolerated.
    but how can your sci fi explain that a bullet to the head from and enforcer doesnt kill and an bullet from an SR kills?
    i hope you get my point a bit better now.

17. Sir_Brizz

Yes because we all carry around lightning guns and plasma rifles and flak cannons, right?

I mean, this all comes back to the suspension of disbelief. Trying to have too much realism in a fictional game only makes you notice how fake it is.

18. f.sardis

f.sardis Member

they can be covered by the sci fi concept just fine.
    part of the unrealism is covered by the sci fi concept. the other part is just floating around.
    a solid base for any game or movie or whatever reqires that there is no concept floating about. everything has to be rock solid. even the unreal parts have to be explained through sci fi or wizardy and magic. you can have something unrealistic as long as it is made believable.
    a flak gun can be covered by sci fi and has been made believeable and so can other weapons. if you read the game manuals you will know what i mean. the fact that some weapons count headshots and others dont is not explained anywhere and i dont think sci fi can explain it either.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2006
  19. gregori

gregori BUF Refugee

good gameplay explains it enough for me!

20. Sir_Brizz

And yet you never figured that that explanation was NOT NECESSARY?