1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Two new 2k7 videos

Discussion in 'Unreal Tournament 3' started by BadAss84, Apr 22, 2006.

1. Bullet10k

Bullet10k New Member

Ok look.

GAMEPLAY>REALISM/MAKING-SENSE/LOOKING-COOL.

I hope you understand that, especially for an UNReal game...

Gameplay first ok? Everything else second. We don't see people complaining about how unexplainable the 5 ammo shock combo is right? It's there for gameplay reasons so people don't keep spamming combos. All weapons don't do headshots. You know why? BECAUSE IT'S BAD FOR GAMEPLAY, once again, realism/making sense does not matter because gameplay comes first...

--

Oh and btw, I never really cared about whether a game was real or not, I always knew they were just VIDEOGAMES, even if it was the most realistic simulator, I still never cared because it never made a difference for me, it's still a game. Do you like get this uber cool feeling or something when you play BF2 (cuz its so real), compared to Unreal games? You want realism go to real life.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2006
  2. f.sardis

f.sardis Member

i want a real deathmatch simulation.
    unfortunately im not american so i cant grab a gun and go to school to simulate it in real life. so im stuck with a game.

3. _Lynx

_Lynx Strategic Military Services Staff Member

Ok, if talk about about reality have seen or know the tech that can make possible such weapons like Lightning Gun, Rocket Launcher with 30 grenades, Shock-Rifle, Redeemer, Ion Cannon, Shield Gun, Link Gun, Paladin's primary and secondary? If make the damage inflictio realistic, then why the heck are weapons still unrealistic? Epics want the game to look realistic but not to make gameplay realistic.

For that you should look at DeusEx (first one), Postal 2 or Red Orchestra. DeusEx has realistic damage system, Postal 2 is a "real life" deathmatch, and Red Orchestra is the most realistic WWII multiplayer game, as said many. But Unreal has to be unreal.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2006
  4. -AEnubis-

-AEnubis- fps greater than star

There is a concept that is hard for some people to get when describing what kind of realism to apply to a game called "unreal." Basically, the best way I can think to describe it is Concieveability.

It's an important aspect in sucking you into the game, and making you feel imerged, which really is what usually keeps us coming back... It's the reason epic won't do glowstick skins, and hit-sounds.

This also has to be held up against gameplay, and balance.

The only way I could see multiple guns having a balanceable headshot multiplyer is adjusting the actual multiplication as Wail of Suicide said. Drop the multiplyer for weapons that aren't as damaging, or are too rapid fire so that there is still some skill involved.

I even think the sniper headshots should be less then a 2.0 multiplyer. Splash weapons having headshot damage multiplication doesn't make much sense though. Boom is boom, and if you relate it to real life, if a rocket hits near you, you are incapacitated. Head trauma or not. If you have armor, I think it should protect you the same from head too toe, especially the way it appears to be handled in game: full body coverage.

In the end though, with anything that fires rapid, or bounces, there is too much chance for the shot to be "luck", and hence the bonus isn't really fitting.

[on topic] Anyone else notice how small that combo looked?

5. LANCE.xd

LANCE.xd Flak Monkey

Well, it was kinda far away. It looked better than UT2004's anyway

6. f.sardis

f.sardis Member

well yea, the combo in the new videos looked small. but it looked actually pretty big during the slow motion part of the old presentation video.

7. Slainchild

Slainchild Gold Member

Well, there is different lighting in those maps... same as in 2k4, against lighter backgrounds, the combo blends in more (looks smaller).

8. f.sardis

f.sardis Member

well the truth is that if you throw the combo towards a light source it will look smaller cause the outer parts of the explosion are very transparent.

9. Slainchild

Slainchild Gold Member

Thats what I meant. ;[

10. DeathBooger

DeathBooger Malcolm's Sugar Daddy

Don't let that stop you! :D

Crossing fingers hoping you point the gun the wrong way. Ignorant dumb kid.

11. neilthecellist

neilthecellist Renegade.

That's offensive. :mad: My cousin went to a school that had a shootout and he nearly lost his life, so shut up and don't pull jokes like this again.

12. f.sardis

f.sardis Member

hehe, im not going to school actually. im kind of old for that. university is my thing now and im almost done with it too.
    one more year left.

sorry if someone was offended by my joke. i didnt create it. it was an american guy on the irc believe it or not. cant remember who though.

13. ShakeZula

ShakeZula New Member

I'm worried about how everything looks fast and small. I bet they were using like FOV 140 or something, and it's just UT2004 again.

14. Selerox

Selerox COR AD COR LOQVITVR

There is such a thing as too much of a good thing...

Doubt it, FOV looked ~90 to me. I think it's just genuinely faster. Hope the whole thing matches up though.

15. ShakeZula

ShakeZula New Member

This is what made me think high FOV:

[​IMG]

That path stretches a long way...

Ooh btw, I love the new health pickups :).

16. Selerox

Selerox COR AD COR LOQVITVR

setmode wildspeculation

One thing I just noticed. Does anyone else see a lot of DM-Waisten in DM-Carbonfire? Maybe the same mapper? :)

Please god, please god, please god please god, plea...

17. nuttella

nuttella Scare

In case we're not done talking about headshots and realism, why is it only headshots that have increased damage? Why not chest shots?

I think the answer is that there's a degree of precision involved in hitting that small, distinct appendage on top of the model. It's fun to get rewarded for hitting that little target with a slow firing precision weapon. It makes no sense with spray or splash weapons.

I also think it's important to be able to adjust your tactics according to the weapon your opponent is firing at you. You ought to know how much damage you're going to take from a hit. If every weapon sometimes does x damage and sometimes does drastically more, it would lead to very conservative gameplay, as everyone would fear that killing blow at any time.

18. killalot0

killalot0 New Member

haha i thought the same thing a few days ago :D. dunno why though :/ . i just had this feeling it felt like waisten

19. JohnDoe641

JohnDoe641 Killer Fools Pro Staff Member

lol?

You really want me to be able to get a headshot on you with any weapon?

Nope, soma's working for DE afaik.

20. Slainchild

Slainchild Gold Member

Even if it isn't made by the same mapper(I highly doubt it is), I hope Epic have looked at certain custom maps for inspiration...

Personally, CarbonFire reminded me of some Quake4 maps with its smooth lines and curved hallways, and the overall minimalist style of it. This is a good thing. I like it. ;)