[tv] Lost analysis thread.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ilkman

Mar 1, 2001
East coast
I thought this week was a step backwards. Last week, the episode with Ben, seemed to answer or at least reveal a lot more then it did leaving more questions. However, this week was the same as always; a bunch of questions.

I think I've put some of the pieces together though regarding the future. Jack's visit to Hurley sent him into a downward spiral that climaxes with the scenes from last seasons finale where he is addicted to drugs, out of sorts, and yelling at Kate that they need to go back to the Island. Who Kate was referring to in regards to her comment "He's waiting for me" is still up in the air for me. It could be Aaron, or it could be Sawyer....or some other guy. Jack says that Sawyer didn't get off the island tonight, so who was she talking to on the phone? I still think its uncertain what Sawyers fate was/is.

Now Claire is a real big mystery. She just disappears? Weird! They really haven't done much with her character as far as revealing who she is at all across the span of the whole show. Maybe now they'll flesh out some details about her.

Airmoran

Construct
Nov 9, 2004
Has Lost Jumped The Shark? I've never seen an episode.
The show has jumped, un-jumped, arguably re-jumped, and then arguably un-jumps a week later. It's not the most even show around, but it seems to have gotten its act together compared to a season or so ago. When it's great, it's great. When it's a waste of an hour, you'll wish you'd just watched the two minute recap.

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
Some of the episodes, like last week, are meant to answer questions (and present even more) concerning the island and the others. Other episodes, like this week, are meant to build the story of the losties characters.

Oh, and post-island Kate, with make-up, night shirt and not much else, is hot.

ilkman

Mar 1, 2001
East coast
Considering that this is the last season, as far as I've heard, I'm really expecting a lot more answers to start showing up in the episodes. Thats why this week was a let down.

Do they expect to answer four seasons worth of insanity in only a few episodes?

Anyways, I think the big secret of the island is time travel of some sort. There have been some small hints at the potential for time travel, or at least the slowing of time in limited or specific capacities.

Last edited:

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
Considering that this is the last season, as far as I've heard, I'm really expecting a lot more answers to start showing up in the episodes. Thats why this week was a let down.

no, it'S six seasons just that from s4 on each season has only 14 episodes instead of 24... or 26... whatever it was before.

Cybro-Thing

Feb 4, 2008
The United States of Holland.
I find the new season a bit disappointing. I have season 1-3 on DvD, but none of those seasons started off as dull as this one. In Holland we are at Episode 5 of season 4 (I think). The main problem I have with the start of the new season is that they suddenly introduce so many new characters... most of them don't even interest me. What I was hoping for was that they wouln't give so much insight into the people on the boat, and focus on 'the others' and especially on John Locke more. Another big problem I have with the new season is 'time travel' stuff. It makes the story too complex and stupid in my eyes. The island already has countless mysteries,, a big black smoke thingy that kills,, some invisable guy called Jacob,, a temple (thats where 'the others' are going),, and now time travel too? It doesn't realy fit in.

About getting answers for Lost... don't count on it. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't give any explanation about the island at all once all seasons are over. What made lost so popular so far was the fact that they show mysteries, and never give real answers. The writers know that once they will give exact answers to what the island exactly is, people will stop watching it. Usually what they do is give an answer to one single aspect of the island, and at the same time giving more mysteries - thats what keeps people watching these series.

ilkman

Mar 1, 2001
East coast
About getting answers for Lost... don't count on it. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't give any explanation about the island at all once all seasons are over. What made lost so popular so far was the fact that they show mysteries, and never give real answers. The writers know that once they will give exact answers to what the island exactly is, people will stop watching it. Usually what they do is give an answer to one single aspect of the island, and at the same time giving more mysteries - thats what keeps people watching these series.

That might be what keeps people watching, but it is also what is annoying others and making them lose interest. The whole point of a mystery is to cause curiosity which, in turn, provides the desire to know the truth. The thing is curiosity needs closure, answers, or it will drive a person nuts until they finally forget about it. So to not provide that closure is just turning people away, or will turn people away, in my opinion.

It might not be turning people away right now, but I can already feel like I'm not as interested as I once was because to me the show seems to be going nowhere at times.

Its a fine balance. You want to give answers, but not all of them at once. So far Lost is providing a very small percentage of answers while unloading an exceedingly larger percentage of questions, which it then carries on from season to season.

Last edited:

Cybro-Thing

Feb 4, 2008
The United States of Holland.
That might be what keeps people watching, but it is also what is annoying others and making them lose interest. The whole point of a mystery is to cause curiosity which, in turn, provides the desire to know the truth. The thing is curiosity needs closure, answers, or it will drive a person nuts until they finally forget about it. So to not provide that closure is just turning people away, or will turn people away, in my opinion.

It might not be turning people away right now, but I can already feel like I'm not as interested as I once was because to me the show seems to be going nowhere at times.

maybe they will give somekind of closure, but if they do they ll save it for the very last episode which we will see somewhere in 2011. I think its better if they just don't give a final closure, and show just enough information to let people get their own interpretation of what the island exactly is. I love movies like 2001: A space Odyssey, Donnie Darko, or No Country for Old Men. Just like In Lost they don't give any real answers in those movies to alot of things but still manage to get alot of attention and credit because of the way they manage to force people to think about the movie itself,, not like in most straightforward movies that people can see without using their brain and still know what the story is about.

GotBeer?

The nozzle is now calibrating
Mar 10, 2004
57th State
Biggest question of all:

footstatuegs0.jpg

ilkman

Mar 1, 2001
East coast
Holy cow!

The freakiest thing was seeing Claire in that cabin. She seemed so care free and unconcerned that she ditched her kid, ran off with 'her dad' who randomly appears in the middle of the jungle in the middle of the night and then is just hanging out in a cabin. Its like she's strung out on drugs or something. You'd at least thing she'd be more excited to see Locke, or wonder where her kid is, or anything.

Anyways, I digress. The whole episode is a 'build up' episode to something greater.

I think I can see what happens. Sayid is only able to get the Oceanic 6 off the island to that boat before something major happens and prevents anymore from being rescued. As for the crazy soldier guys, I can't predict anything there right now.