1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

TV and computer

Discussion in 'Hardware, Software & Troubleshooting' started by Scatman Crothers, Jun 19, 2004.

1. Scatman Crothers

Scatman Crothers man about town

is it possible to hook up a tv screen to my computer, instead of a computer monitor?

If so:

1) do i need a special video card (All-In-wonder)?
    2) Can i still watch TV?
    3) If I can, why do people still buy monitors?

2. Clayeth

Clayeth Classic

Yes, any card in the last 5 years should have some sort of output for your TV... you'll need to be able to have the monitor to get stuff set up in the first place, but if you really wanted to disconnect it later I suppose you could.

People still use monitors because they support multiple resolutions, a TV does not. You're stuck at an incredibly crappy resolution. The picture is also of much lower quality, unless you're getting a really nice TV, which is going to cost your a thousand or so dollars... not exactly competitive with a monitor that can match the quality.

Assuming your TV or home theater has enough hookups, you can have tv (cable/satellite) and everything all hooked up at once.

So, if you want a TV to match a nice computer monitor you can go buy a good HDTV quality one and spend an ass-load of money, but you're still converting the signal to the TVs format, so it's still losing quality, as I understand it.

I'm not an expert on the details and numbers of it though, but you should have the basic idea at least.