(TUTORIAL)weaking UT3 AI with map mixer for best bot behaviour

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Designer0101

Jun 9, 2011
(TUTORIAL)Tweaking UT3 AI with map mixer for best bot behaviour

Wiithout map mixer i couldnt achieve these tweaks that give me a true enjoyment when fighting with godlike bots. I would like to thank sinx one more time, for providing such a great tool. First you need this tool:

http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=710587

PS.(you can try this by using UTCustomChar.ini located in \Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Config), however i strongly recommend using map mutator, since sinx made "safe values" for non-destructive AI edit.

I made tweaks with Reaper bot since he acts pretty "human", meaning that uses cover, dodges etc. Assuming you know how to install map mixer properly, i will get right to AI tweaks and explain what is the difference between behavior for some parameters that werent explaind in detail.

1.Aggressiveness- you already guessed, it is how much the bot will attack you, but i noticed one thing, they go more cleaverly for pickups, leaving you without your beloved shield belt and other goodies
The key is not to overdo this value especially if you don't know map item pickup and timing location very well.
The default value is 0.40, but for more expirienced players i suggest setting it between 0.80 and 1.0. When 1.0, the bot will respond instantly with its internal timing logic and go for pickup without any delay.

2.Accuracy - it is how well the bot hits. This value i suggest setting between -4.50 and -3.0, effectively preventing bot becoming an lousy aimbot This setting mostly affects stinger gun and enforcers.
I know some people will ask will it affect link gun, and then we get to next parameter which is:

3. Reaction time- this is how fast the bot will react to your change of location and the speed to aim you with guns. For players that have problems with link gun, i suggest setting this parameter to -3 and for more expirienced players i would set it between -2 and -1. In this way, the accuracy of other guns aim will not be affected that much, and the link gun lockdown will be solved.

4.Jumpiness- it is how much bots jump(pretty self explanatory). The default value is set to 0, but i would suggest experimenting with this one, because on some maps it can be a good thing, while on others it can be bad.
If this vallue is too high the bot will jump too much, thus becoming an easy target because of its static nature, but if it is too low, the bot will sometimes stuck on some areas of map where it needs to jump for a pickup. This is mostly per case basis, so experiment!

5.Strafing ability- how well bot dodges your shots. One thing i noticed is that this parameter is in strong corelation with jumpiness, so experimenting with different combination values with these 2 parameters are win combo for good bot behaviour(sit bot sit, pleease sit bot o shiii... )

There are some other settings like tactics, and skill modifier, which i havent been able to figure out what are for, but will update you if i find out what it is supposed to do.

At the end i decided to give you my edited reaper parameters with which i play on godlike:

Aggressivness-0.95

Accuracy -4.50

Tactics 0.00

Strafing ability 1.00

Combat style 0.50

Jumpiness -1.00

Reaction time 0.00

Skill modifier 0.00

Well thats it. Feel free to ask if you have any questions, have fun with this knowledge and i wish you creating a good bot for practicing offline.

EDIT:
Some people were asking is it practical to edit UtCustomChar.ini instead using map mixer UI. This is our excerpt from conversation:

Quote: Originally Posted by sinx
Quote: Originally Posted by Designer0101
1.Are these settings safe to edit only with UtCustomChar.ini(i saw that for example Reaper bot, doesnt have some of the parameters like in the map mixer)

If you're using MapMixer then only use mapmixer and don't touch the UTCustomChar.ini. MapMixer duplicates everything and keeps it safely separate. That way if you choose to uninstall mapmixer, it doesn't leave any modifications behind. You could edit the mapmixer ini files but it's far easier to use the mapmixer UI.

Quote: 2.Are these values in map mixer are the same like the ones in UTCustomChar.ini?(i think i remember you said that there are boundaries inside which values should be tweaked, so i advised people to use mapmixer as a safer tool for editing AI).

Yes they are the same, however, like you say, there are boundaries to these values. A lot of people don't realise this and set them way outside the boundaries (imposed by Epic code) in their UTCustomChar.ini file when they release their models for download. The result is the parameters get 'clipped' and you often end up with character with, for example, maximum values in every attribute, which is totally meaningless and not much fun.

Last edited: