Troopers

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

McMuffin

The sh¡ttiest Infiltrator
Jul 30, 2000
OR
Mod teams who can't keep their sh¡t together have no penises. I might have laughed my ass off at the blackmail letter if it weren't so damn sad and lame. I can't really say who's 'side' I take, but I know from BadKarma's posts on the SF board waaay back that he can be a bit whiny once in a while. But nothing compared to the load of cheesedicks that would send that letter to deal with their problems.

Mason

Self appointed voice of reason
Dec 14, 2000
Upstate NY
forums.unreal2.net
Y'know, I WAS looking forward to the release of that mod, now I really don't give 2 S****! I think the team needs to think about the fact that had BK not had his 'run-ins' with LucasArts, they wouldn't even have a mod to work on.

And of the sides presenting their arguments, BK is asking for proof, something that NONE of the them have provided yet, while he has provided the weakly veiled threat of a document that they apparently presented to him...presumably simply to take control of his work.

Unfortunate, makes Optimiser and the SF team look like Hare Krishna's.

Ranger 223

MS Paint Pimp
May 26, 2002
When people accuse you of cheating in an MSPaint thread, it's time to give up.

:lol: Thats hilarious McM! :lol:

Oh yeah, **** the team, i find it funny that they decide to kick him off right before the competition...

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Without the team BadKarma would have had just a bunch of pretty star wars based maps.

btw : I thought he had decided to leave the team anyway ... so I really don't see what he has to complain about him being 'forced to leave' now ?

TheShiningWizard

Because it's more fantastical.
Jun 26, 2000
Bit of irony here.
All I have to say is this....

BadKarma was doing maps for Strike Force three years ago. At that time he told me about his idea for Troopers. What he had in the works, he showed me map ideas, drawings, etc. So he started the mod, it was his idea, his concept, his baby. No matter what went on between the team, there is no way that anyone should take Troopers away from him. I don't really care if it's the best damn mod on the planet or if Lucas Arts bought the thing. What they did to BK won't get my support. I also hope many of the Strike Force community fans won't support this either.

I've known BK for a long time and the guy is super nice. He helps out everyone, he has had a hard road with his family and trials in life. But the guy would never do a bad thing to anyone. So I'm behind BK 100% on this matter and I support HIM all the way.

Regards,
Optimizer
Strike Force
http://www.strike-force.com

Last edited:

})FA|Snake

Aug 5, 2000
Visit site
well one thing you guys don't all seem to understand is the team is not asking Bad Karma to tranfer and of his maps or work, its just the legal rights to the name and correspondence. Basicly this means to me BK hasn't actually put anything into the mod aside from leadership, which if it causes the entire team to revolt obviously wasn't that good. So i'm inclined to want to hear the teams side of the story. not to mention the team is only taking all the work that they did, which I think they are kinda entitled to since they are the ones that did it

jasdave

Mar 16, 2002
Visit site
It's sick that they kicked him when he was leaving anyways. It's like a slap in the face, just to let him know that not only was he leaving but they didn't want him.
From what I hear, BK (a good friend of Optimizer, who BTW is a dick head) acted like a dick head to the team. A total dictator, driving out people and holding the mod back with numerous delays. But it wouldn't have mattered if he was leaving. I mean any work (maps) submitted by BK into his final project could have been scrapped or re-done after he was gone. I guess they just wanted to make sure he wasn't comming back.
Sad thing.
But most of the work was done by the team, even if it was the heart and soul creation of BK, they sacrificed alot and did alot of work. They'll be scrapping his work (maps) from the final release. I wonder what happens when the next guy has a problem and decides to leave... Taking all his work with him, What name will they rename it to next???

Last edited:

Freon

Braaaaiinss...
Jan 27, 2002
France
www.3dfrags.com
snake, even though the maps, textures, models were done by team members other than BK, he still owns everything. i think it's stated in the NDA.
and moreover, we was the mind behind the game, even though his work is not visible

spm1138

Irony Is
Aug 10, 2001
Visit site
To be honest, it's the more the way the rest of the team acted in sending that poison pen letter to him that's leaving the bad taste in my mouth than any other issue.

OK, so it's a fairly sticky point having a none programmer as project leader but to just tell the guy to hand everything over or else...

Even if the team were going to go their seperate ways or keep BK on as a mapper there are much less assholish ways of doing it.

Would you really want one of the undersigned on the blackmail working with you on something?

Last edited:

JaFO

Nov 5, 2000
I think that 'hand over your stuff or else ..' in that letter has more to do with the fact that they had to sign a contract before they joined and the problems that Lucasarts can cause instead of any real problems.

It definitely shows that you can't use contracts to bind people in a mod-team ... unless you really are prepared to take your team to court if need be.
Such an attitude does more harm then good to 'amateur' - modteams IMHO (hell it's not even healthy/good for the company in the real world).

DeadEyeNick

Dec 30, 2000
I personally don't want to be involve in their internal affair, as if opti isn't enough.
But troopers... do we play as stormtroopers in the game and shoot things with an extremely large conefire to simulate why they always miss their shots in the movies?

jaunty

Apr 30, 2000
It's a UT2 mod made by someone whos name has never appeared on these forums over the last 3 years. Of course there's conefire.

DamienW

I'm no stranger to sarcasm, sir
Feb 4, 2001
Bayonne, France
I should have picked a less stupidly common nick, honest. that'd save a lot of confusion ( the M@x-sterling guy posting there is not me).

Oh yes, the topic. Well what the intelligent people said. :D I have no idea of who is right or wrong in the way the team worked,and have no intention to take a side on this : neither is it my business nor is it relevant to the actual problem. However, the way 'the team' handeled this, both the blackmail and the "uh guys we won't tell you about it because wow we're level-headed guys, so we need to disguise the truth and make sure to make a statement with as many words as possible that say as little as possible", speaks volumes.
Not only do they have no reason to trust each other now (as subby, my personal hero, already pointed out in this lame thread), but i don't see why the community would believe any of their "PR statements" now, since those seem to be heavily altered and censored before going public.

You know, the whole "we all tear each other to pieces and stab each other in the back, but in front of cameras, shake hands, smile and nod, boy ! That's good PR, boy !" thing.

Side note : Hey FeelthenathanXXX :D first posting the "forumdrama" pic to state how rebelious and smart you are, then posting about it because suddently opti gets involved ? :D ;)

Side note 2 : McMuffin, who allowed you to use Doomfreak's avatar ? You confused me, my good man.

Last edited:

JaFO

Nov 5, 2000
DeRailer said:
I personally don't want to be involve in their internal affair, as if opti isn't enough.
But troopers... do we play as stormtroopers in the game and shoot things with an extremely large conefire to simulate why they always miss their shots in the movies?
The feature list actually states that 'the bolt will go where the barrel points' !
The way it is described the crosshair/aiming-system is more like the gun-sights in jetplanes. It at least sounds like you'll be able to hit a standing target if you want to instead of praying to the gods of chaos ...

A completely unique aiming system that creates a challenge for both newcomers and veterans! The aiming in Troopers is centered around the weapon barrel itself. Barrel location has been stored in all weapon models, which is queried when the blaster fires. Your projectile will follow the exact path in which the weapon barrel is pointing at the time you fire. Various physical situations like jumping, running, crouching and rapidly firing have an effect on the control of the weapon, which results in the weapon bobbing in your hands.

A dynamic reticule to go with the new aiming system. The reticule in Troopers shows, at all times, exactly where a projectile shot from the weapon at that time will hit. This allows veterans to carefully time their shots, with pinpoint accuracy, while beginners can use the reticule like they would in any other game.

// ---
Bah, there's too much drama on tv ... and we've had the inf-off-topic drama and the SF-drama already. No need to add another one to the list Altough it's too late for that it seems as if everyone has an opinion on why X is right and Y is wrong and blah die blah die bla...

Last edited by a moderator: