1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UE3 - UT3 Triggering JumpPad

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by JasonG, Jun 6, 2009.

1. JasonG

JasonG New Member

Hi, I was wondering if there was a way to trigger or keyframe a jumppad. Basically, I have a spatula that is activated through damage, and when the spatula lifts to its peak, I want the jumppad to activate. So far, the only way I've found how to disable the jumppad is by turning its collision off, but I don't know how to turn it back on through kismet.
    [screenshot]http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/6278/jumppad.jpg[/screenshot]
    This is what I currently have set up. The damage trigger is the spatula itself, the matinee sequence is the spatula "seesawing" for .1 seconds, then suspends in air for another .2 seconds before reversing. I have the Timer set at .1 seconds, with the JumpPad being the target. From here, I don't know what to do. I've tried keyframing the jumppad in the matinee sequence, have it in the air and drop down at .1, but it doesn't want to keyframe. Other than that, I'm stuck. Can someone help me figure this out?

Also, a less technical question, but I have a mousetrap that will kill players when stepping onto it. How can I change the death message from "X killed himself" (or whatever it is)?

Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2009
  2. Wormbo

Wormbo Administrator Staff Member

I don't think regular jumppads are toggleable. (Well, they are, but this only marks them as "blocked" for AI pathfinding.)

3. JasonG

JasonG New Member

how does that toggle work? AI is the least of my worries with what i plan on doing with the level.

4. Wormbo

Wormbo Administrator Staff Member

Like I said: Toggle (it's a simple Kismet action) only toggles the blocked status for AI pathfinding. It does not affect the actual jumppad functionality in any way.

5. JasonG

JasonG New Member

so is there any other way to trigger a "launch" without the use of a jumppad?

6. Odedge

Odedge Keeper of Tutorials

Trying to learn what I can about Kismet, I tried a toggle Collision node and it works fine. I placed 2 triggers (one that disables, the other enables). While you can make the jump pad invisible and remove the sound it makes when you hit it and do the jump, I don't think there is away to get rid of the buzzing sound it normally makes.

I also tried setting up a DynamicPhysicsVolume and adjusted the ZoneVelocity. It probably can do the same thing as a jump pad, but it might not be as consistent.

The only problem with the jump pad that I can see is the noise it makes. For the Physics volume, there might be a problem when it's activated, some one else might get caught in it?

I haven't used a Timer node before, but I have used a delay. From that you can toggle collision on either the jump pad or the DynamicPhysicsVolume.

For the jump pad, you can then set another delay node, then toggle off it's collision. Once the player is airborne, I am sure they would complete the jump.

But for the volume, you would probably have to keep it activated until the player has reached it's destination. Unless you made the force so strong, that after the player started to move in the volume, you could then disable collision, then the player's momentum would make them reach their destination.

I am guessing as I haven't actually tried the disabling of collision after the player has collided with either.

7. JasonG

JasonG New Member

Could you explain to me how to toggle the collision? I can't seem to find an action or condition to do so.

8. Odedge

Here is how I set up my test...

[​IMG]

For the top collision, I checked bBlockActors and bCollideActors, for the lower collision, both were unchecked. You can find these in the Action > Actor section of Kismet.

9. JasonG

JasonG New Member

YES. Thanks so much. Been pulling my hair out on this for nearly a week now. What I did is a little bit different than what you did:
    [screenshot]http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/5469/jumppad1.jpg[/screenshot]

At level startup, collision is turned off. When trigger is damaged, collision turns on, then turns back off .1 seconds later. No idea why collision had to be reversed.

10. Odedge

No problem. I am trying to learn more of Kismet, so it was a nice exercise. If you can find a way to disable the noise of the jump pad (while it's still sitting there), let me know.

11. Narayana

Narayana New Member

I think you can use matinee to move the jump pad from the playable part of your map to some remote void in your viewport, while the collision is toggled off. The sound should move with it, and this is not a problem as you can move it so fast you are basically teleporting it. Simply reverse the matinee before toggling the collision back on.