1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Tribes: Ascend

Discussion in 'Games' started by Vaskadar, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Vaskadar

Vaskadar It's time I look back from outer space

2. SleepyHe4d

SleepyHe4d fap fap fap

Looks awesome. I'm not a tribes player though, so any of you oldschool tribes players think it's gonna be any good?

3. Vaskadar

Vaskadar It's time I look back from outer space

The disc launcher... :F

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  4. Mr. Scary

Mr. Scary Speedemupus-Guitarist-Shreddish

Yep, I'll be picking this one up. I'm hoping it's a success as I was a huge fan of the Tribes series.

5. -n7-

-n7- Member

Anyone in the beta?

I've been checking out some of the gameplay videos out there and really like the look of this.

Not sure the pay-to-have-a-proper-loadout is a wise method for the supposed "free" game, but i don't have an issue with spending $30 if it's a good game.

Just really wish i could get into the beta to try it out, as i foolishly wasn't paying attention when there were sites offering ways in.

6. Kyllian

Kyllian if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;

Depends on who you talk to. On the Hirez forums there's some oldschool players that like it, some that say Hirez has destroyed the name of Tribes and others that just play
    Yo.
    Eh, you can get all the loadouts eventually, the gold and booster packs just let you get them faster
    Unfortunately credits are doled out at such a snails pace that you might as well go for the boosters or hit up the VIP pre-order($30 for 3k gold and a 30day booster)
    I believe going for the VIP pre-order instantly gets you beta access

There's also a rather large debate on the introduction of hitscan weapons

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  7. SlayerDragon

SlayerDragon LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES

free to play game that gives you obvious advantage for money, no thanks

8. Kyllian

Kinda sorta. You can unlock everything without paying a penny, just takes longer

9. toniglandyl

toniglandyl internal data fragmentation : 62203480%

kinda like League of Legends ? :)

so, is this still a closed beta ?

10. Kyllian

Ya, still closed beta

Oh, supposedly any stats gained in CB will carry to launch

11. SlayerDragon

SlayerDragon LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES

and when you're playing against some asshole who paid money to get it right away and is murdering you with better weapons and shit, it will be awesome

12. Kyllian

Eh, the classes you start off with aren't too bad, they're not the best but you can hold your own with them.
    Besides, it's free, if you never buy a booster, why should Hirez give a damn that it takes you several months to unlock everything? They need to make some cash, they're not a half-dozen people in a garage, they're a studio

$30 for the VIP pack. That gives you enough gold to instantly buy 5-6 classes and a 30 day booster with gives more XP and credits to unlock everything else
    With that you'll be unlocking everything faster than CoD or BF3 for half the price

You're making them sound like Zynga and Farmville

13. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

I think that's exactly why people would rather just pay $30 for a good game that gives you everything. This is just like every other "Free"-to-play game, someone hoping you'll spend $1,000 on the game in the long run.

I like Tribes, but I do not like "Free"-to-play. The quotes are necessary.

14. Al

Al Car'a'carn

That's what it sounds like to me.

15. ambershee

ambershee Nimbusfish Rawks

Like the new Age of Empires F2P - $20 per civilisation, pay extra for 'skirmish' etc. If you wanted to buy what was already released it would cost you over $100, for less than half of what you got in previous games :/
    [/QUOTE]

16. -n7-

-n7- Member

That'd be me.

I just want to at least play it for a bit before i plunk down money since me buying games generally results in one of two things.

Either i get way more than my money's worth because i end up playing the game a TON.
    Or i don't get it at all, since i don't play it at all.

17. xMurphyx

xMurphyx New Member

In League of Legends you can accumulate points, which you can use to purchase premium characters. My brother plays the game (without spending money on it) and he doesn't "buy" every character, but the ones he does buy he buys on the day they come out, with the points he saved up by skipping some.

So I balancing doesn't have to be a problem for non-paying players. Even assuming that the new weapons are actually objectively better.

18. AlCapowned

AlCapowned Member

I got a key for the closed beta, but I don't feel like joining. Does anyone want it?

19. Capt.Toilet

Capt.Toilet Good news everyone!

Lol at free to play games, and lol to idiots who pay for the stuff in free to play games.

Hell the new Mechwarrior is going to be free to play. 15 dollars for a new mech suit coming right up.

20. SleepyHe4d

SleepyHe4d fap fap fap

I agree, LoL is a good free2play game. ;)