Triangle count the same, FPS lower...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

virgo47

Waiting for next UT
Jul 5, 2005
Bratislava, Slovakia
members.clanci.net
As I'm working on a map I chose some "points of FPS test". There I check rmode 1 and stats. Of course thare are not just the points in the map, but I wanted something I can always reproduce. Now I am again in one of the points and FPS are lower than in a version few beta iterations ago. I have no snapshot of that old situation, only new snap with all stats:
allstats0rh.jpg

What I have are some older notes about BSP a smeshes triangles. Counts are nearly the same, but FPS are let's say 20 % down. Now I'm just curious - what are the readings I should be most focused on? It seems to me, that smesh triangles are major part of the time for one frame.

Another guess... are textures with alpha channel more power greedy? Foliage (grass one especially) looks much better then the few triangles because of texture. I also noticed that when I'm standing in flower pot and get crouch, triangle count is not changed so much as FPS, because more of the grass got in the FOV. I'm just not sure... is it related to alpha somehow?

I compared FPS without stats in roughly the same conditions of course.

Last edited:

Angel_Mapper

Goooooooats
Jun 17, 2001
Cape Suzette
www.angelmapper.com
virgo47 said:
Another guess... are textures with alpha channel more power greedy?
Yes. Anything that has to overlay takes more time. Alpha textures, coronas, emitters, projectors etc. I'm going to say this just to be safe: Make sure your coronas don't have their radii set to 0, it has to do collision calculations for each one that's within it's radius of you, and calculating that for all of them all the time will take a big hit.