trial map

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Massacre2k4

Jan 14, 2006
I'm very close to my trials completion and the buttons i have placed before that use to work nolonger work... i think maybe ive done something wrong. Any suggestions as to where i can find the correct buttons and how to place them would be great. Also, i want to know how to make death points in my map... (certain surfaces kill you) such as burned to death or small crater. One last thing, in my trial i want to make it so that players walk through eachother as seen in many other trial maps. thanx.

-Mass

Massacre2k4

Jan 14, 2006
response

the problem with these buttons is that when you press the button u use to complete the objective or push the button... it doesnt work (meaning the objective isnt complete when it should be. besides, i would prefer getting new buttons, not fix the ones i have... im not exactly positive what the name of this button is called but i think its something like "AS_UseObjective" can you just tell me where to find a good button actor to place in my trial? please people, post more helpful answers.

-Mass

Massacre2k4

Jan 14, 2006
response

Thankyou! and no offense to Slipstream, but FINALLy i get some help... although there are still a few important questions unanswered. keep 'em comin

-Mass

Ironblayde

Director of Misanthropy
Feb 24, 2004
Massacre2k4 said:
no offense to Slipstream, but FINALLy i get some help...
Yes, FINALLY. The wait -- more than an hour! -- must have been murder. Slipstreams_65 was just trying to be helpful, and in fact he did answer one of your questions. You can use a PhysicsVolume to damage players. Using a ScriptedTrigger would be another possibility if a volume doesn't suit your needs for some reason.

Massacre2k4

Jan 14, 2006
questions left over

lol yah, sry aboot that. didnt mean it in a "hurtful" way. but i did figure out all the buttons and how to work them correctly... but what i still want to know is;

1.) How do I make players have the abilbility to walk through eachother as seen in a majority of other trial maps? it is useful because then people do not get in your way of path.

2.) How do I make certain surfaces kill a player that comes in contact with it? For example: "_____" has left a small crater. i want people to die when they fall, please tell me how i can do this.

3.) ...something simple that i do not know, making one team spawn in one area and the other team in another area. What i want to do: Defense team and Offense team... the defense team in a seperate defense room so they need to switch teams.

thanx again. :) Massacre

Ironblayde

Director of Misanthropy
Feb 24, 2004
1.) I downloaded a trials map and found that it uses an embedded mutator. The file you need is TFAMap.u and it should be in your System folder if you play trials maps. If you don't already have it, download any trials map that has this behavior and you should find it. Here are the instructions for using it, which I pulled directly from the UnrealScript:
Code:
// TFAEmbed - Trial-Friendly Adjustments Actor
// A mutator designed to be embedded into maps that disables players messing around with other players in trialmaps (shieldgunning/grenades/blocking)
// By Neoflame, 15 July 2004
// 17 July 2004: Added translucency interaction
// 11 August 2004: Removed translucency (too buggy), forked embedded mutator (borrowed heavily from UWiki), fixed shieldgun and assault rifle
//
// How to embed (from the UWiki):
//
// 1. Make sure this Mutator is NOT listed in the "EditPackages" section
//    of your UT2004.ini.
// 2. Make sure "TFAMap.u" IS located in your UT2004/System folder.
// 3. Start a fresh UED session and open your Map for editing.
// 4. Open the Actor Class browser and go to File->Open->TFAMap.u.
// 5. In the Actor Class browser, scroll down to find
//
//         Actor->Info->Mutator->TFAEmbed
//
// 6. Highlight "TFAEmbed" in the browser and then select a surface
//    somewhere in your map, right-click on the surface, and in the pop-up
//    menu that appears, choose "Add TFAEmbed Here".  Place only ONE
//    instance of this Mutator in your map. It is unknown if the bHidden property
//    works with this, so play it safe - when you "Add TFAEmbed Here", do it somewhere
//    where no one should be able to see it. Outside the skybox/above a hallway always
//    works well.
// 7. Build and save your map.
//
// If you subsequently delete the single instance of the Mutator from your map,
// and then rebuild and resave, the Mutator code will be deleted from the map
// and you will have to repeat all these steps to embed it again. The .u file must
// be in the user's System folder (or at least the server's.) TFAMap is _not_ required
// in the ServerPackages line.
//
// Anyone may use this mutator as long you do not misrepresent the author (i.e.
// you can leave my name out but you can't put someone else's instead.)

2.) Did you follow the links in my last post? They describe how to do what you want.

3.) The PlayerStart actor has a property called TeamNumber that's used to control this. In most gametypes you just set it to 0 or 1, but it works a little differently in Assault. See this page for a discussion of how to handle PlayerStarts in an Assault map.

Massacre2k4

Jan 14, 2006
thanks

wow you were a HUGE help.. really. thanks for everything you guys. my trial map is very close to being done =D =D. thanks again. i appreciate it. sry about the insult earlier, u really know what ur doing.