1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Tre - Last Life (Part 1) Released

Discussion in 'News & Articles' started by hal, Aug 31, 2009.

1. hal

hal Dictator Staff Member

Constructed from almost completely custom content, Tre - Last Life promises to bring a brand-new singleplayer story-driven experience to Unreal Tournament 3. You can find more screens, a video, and information in the release thread or on its ModDB page.

Download now from ModDB or FilePlanet.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. EisWiesel

EisWiesel ... !!!

Very nice work for a team of only two modders :D
    Good luck with MSUC :)

3. dub

dub

Looks pretty enough... though even after reading the ModDB description I still not sure what type of game it is. Guess I have to try it to find out.
    "“Tre – Last Live” is the sequel of “Tre – The Spreading” and begins where the story of part one ends."

4. Destructive-Fly

Destructive-Fly New Member

Good to see a total conversion mod. I wish we were are nicely tucked in with UT3 as we were with UT99 when it comes to decent total conversion: Tactical Ops, ChaosUT, JailBreak, Operation Na Pali, Unreal Fortress Gold. God did I enjoy these games.

5. Angel_Mapper

Angel_Mapper Goooooooats

You have been paying attention to the contest haven't you?

6. TheSomian

TheSomian Freak

if i weren'd german, i'd ask: "what's a KI?" :D

anyway, so much awesome UT3 stuff in the last weeks, unfortunately i don't have much time to try it all atm, but I will :>

7. The_Head

The_Head JB Mapper

lol :lol:

8. Destructive-Fly

Destructive-Fly New Member

You're right, I haven't. But that said, I had a look through and apart from The Ball and your mod (neither of which I have tried, but downloaded both), nothing is up my ally like the aforementioned mods were. Also downloaded UT3JB (not played it yet).

9. Angel_Mapper

Angel_Mapper Goooooooats

You should check the MSU site, there are a lot of mods that have been submitted for this and past phases that haven't been advertised on the forums.

Ok, feedback.

- Enemies are really hard to see. You should contrast them with the world materials or highlight them in some other way. I would also work on a damage direction indicator, because with those two issues combined I couldn't tell where I was being hit from or by what.

- Remove collision on pickups. It's too easy to kick something out of your way when you're trying to pick it up. I couldn't find one of the first bunch of syringes because it went flying off when I tried to pick it up. Highlighting them like the enemies will make them easier to spot as well (think L4D, Bioshock etc).

- I couldn't get too far into it because it crashed. I looked at the log file and there are a lot of programming issues you need to clear up (a LOT of accessed nones).

The crash was caused by an infinite script recursion from a pickup falling out of the world when I was fighting those things coming out of the drill:
    The issues causing the most problems in the log:
    You should check if(Weapon != none) before trying to access it.
    Debug logs like these should be commented out before you release.
    Missing a label in this state (one of the Begin: things).

I'm attaching my full log file for you, at most this should be 25kb when running a clean game.

Please fix up these issues, I'm curious to know what's after that drill. :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  10. Alopexau

Alopexau New Member

There are some major, major technical problems with this mod, I did not crash where Angel did, instead I fell out of the map in the following underwater sequence, and it happens every time... I find the exit alright but there is NO terrain, It just doesn't exist. Objects are all there and I triggered a dialog sequence, but as soon as I hop out of the hole, I'm doomed to fall forever. For me the bullet time was broken too, all I saw was a screen full of impenetrable green patterns.

On top of the above mentioned things, from what I got to play there are a few things i'd take into consideration:

1. Remove pickup collisions. As said above, I can't stress how irritating this is trying to simply pick up ammo and kicking it around.
    2. Proper hit indication. Again, with the enemies blending into the environment so much, I found myself taking a ton of hits and not being able to figure out where it was coming from.
    3. Crosshairs! Unless I was getting /another/ glitch I had no crosshairs, making hitting anything ridiculous.
    4. I was impressed how you could see your whole character from the FPV, but the arm itself sits awkwardly and there is no reload animation as far as I could see.

It's such a huge shame as it currently stands, because this TC actually looks like it could be great, the custom work is exceptional. I really hope work continues on this and you take note of all these issues.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  11. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

I crashed playing this several times.

Not only that, but the angle of view on the gun is really bad, imo. Nobody hold s a gun perpendicular to their face :p And because of this it shows clipping errors constantly on the arm and reminds me almost exactly of that old Jurassic Park game, Trespasser, except it somehow looks even worse than that.

The enemies are ridiculously hard to see, ESPECIALLY in iron sights mode (which should make it easier to aim and shoot them, but the transition to iron sights is a hard transition, which is highly confusing, and in iron sights your view is post-processed up the wazoo so you can't tell a bush from a log.

The ammo system is impossible. I never knew how many clips I had left regardless of how many I picked up and I couldn't seem to manually reload my gun.

Picking up items is terribly unintuitive. I often had to run around things in circles tapping 'E' before it could even be picked up. There is no indication you are in range to pick it up.

Despite all these bad things, I still think the mod has a lot of potential. The menu system is really unique and cool. And if the gameplay were tweaked to something much better, it could be great.

12. Bi()ha2arD

Bi()ha2arD Toxic!

ye, that was broken here too. i went exploring in "ghost" mode a bit and somehow unlocked the checkpoint after the water passage and loading from there worked. but then i stopped playing after i reached those cliffs with the graveyard down below. i would have jumped down but it was blocked off and i didnt feel like going the long way.

13. unrealer2

unrealer2 New Member

Thank your for so many replies!

Sorry for that, I thing it is AI in english (AnorganicInteligence?). All in all we wrote a new one for the enemies, thats what I ment:D

Ah..ehh..here is the new GamePlay Video which is made from a version that uses already the second Patch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuRDzZau3lc

(comes soon)

14. Bi()ha2arD

Bi()ha2arD Toxic!

always thought its called "artifical intelligence"

15. unrealer2

unrealer2 New Member

Ok, you are right;)

But there was a reason for the question mark:) But Anorganic would also fit...

Hopefully I will manage to release the patch within that week.

16. Bersy

Bersy New Member

Except for it not being a word and all. You're thinking of "Inorganic"... in which case it would have to be II. ;) Almost the same sound.. or people would just think you're a wannabe pirate.

17. unrealer2

unrealer2 New Member

Patch 2 released!

http://www.moddb.com/mods/tre-last-life/news/tre-last-life-patch-2-released