1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Trainingsituations and Laser Taggeting

Discussion in 'New Version Suggestions' started by Psychomorph, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Psychomorph

Psychomorph  

I personally like the concept of not only playing the real combat situations but also some artificially made situations, like in training sessions.

I know, they are allready playable training maps in INF, but I do not speak about the map, but the whole situation.
    You would have artificial design training maps and weapons with laser taggeting system. I know it sounds pretty much like AA:O, but I always wished such stuff for a realistic game, and AA:O invented nothing.

1) Weaponry
    What I exactly mean, is, that in those training maps, you have maybe limitted weaponry, just a rifle, or two, since it´s only about taggeting. Including pistols and MG's maybe (sure nades too).
    And probably some special training maps, where you can only have sniper rifles, on a distance traing ground.

2) Maps
    The cool thing would be, those maps would give you a diferent feel and atmosphere, since they are artificial. I imagine having a big warehouse with different rooms made of wooden plates.
    Or, in a forest, some old buildings, used as training courts.
    They could be sniper distance training courts, CQB training courts with a carabine rifle and normal range training, with a standart long rifle.

3) Gameplay
    The third point is, you can´t be hurt by weapons, unless you fall from a high position, medics wont be needed, even if you get hit some times, you still can move at a fast pace.
    For those who appreciate non lethal fun with guns, more of CQB fast fun, with good traing chances.
    Some would say such stuff leads you to run and gun, but if it is realistic, than why not?
    If you got hurt by falling or differnt stuff, you can take 'Out time' and walk off the traing ground and treat yourself by a medical station, or so. Or just wait intill the next session. Like it is handled in real life training.

I know the problem, that ppl could say it is ripped off AA:O, but those are n00bs :p, cuz as I said, AA:O invented nothing and similar traings existed in other games. I remember the MP of the german SWAT3 version, it was a gotcha game. But hey, I don´t want to have gotcha in INF, but the realistic laser taggeting stuff.

To be honest I prefer those training things in AA:O. They don´t feel as fake as the normal missions, where the guys use M16, but looks like AK47.
    Playing the training missions, I kow, that the guys use M16, it is not fake, it is an artificial combat situation, but it is still authentic.

And for those who are sceptical, if you would try this gameplay you would definitely like it. It would be the same INF, with the same weapon behavior (sight aiming and so), but a different feel of gameplay, it would kind of expand the INF combat situation.

Just an idea:
    If the SS team will work on the next INF, they could make and release the training first, cuz it needs no ballistic, just some laser stats, it would have some more simple maps in comaparison to real combat maps, and it would have just some weapons, maybe one M4A1, or G36K, one pistol, nades and one MG.
    PPl could start to train and learn about INF (sights, tactics, movability) untill the real combat stuff is released ;).

2. Rostam

Rostam PSN: Rostam_

OMG TEH NOOBS!

bah. That's all, just bah.

3. (SDS)benmcl

(SDS)benmcl Why not visit us here in the real world.

Rostam why the **** do you still have Novice under your name? You trying to lure the noobs into some false sense of security or something?

4. Rostam

It's something you can only understand if you have seen the movie which is displayed in my avatar: Donnie Darko.
    Some imagination will be needed though :p
    Have fun.

5. Psychomorph

Psychomorph  

Ok, bad idea.

6. Rostam

I didn't comment on your idea, Psych. But on the way you presented it.

7. Psychomorph

Psychomorph  

?? Whats wrong with my presentation? Bad to understand?

8. Nadebait

Nadebait New Member

I didn't like miles in real life why do I need to see it in inf :(.

9. OICW

OICW Reason & Logic > Religion

From soldiers I've spoken to about it, MILES has a bad habit of encouraging over-confidence (since there's no projectiles of any sort actually heading towards you) and doesn't encourage proper cover. The effects of covering fire are non-existent with MILES as well. Simunition training on the other hand tends to knock that out of people fairly quickly

10. Dr.J

Dr.J Staying Alive.

whats simunition?

11. OICW

OICW Reason & Logic > Religion

A permanent conversion kit for various firearms. It allows them to fire various rounds (like the 9mm, .38, 5.56 and so on) filled with half a gram of paint at around 400fps IIRC.

http://www.simunition.com/

12. Psychomorph

Psychomorph  

Ah, Simunition uses Projectiles instead of laser. Ok, than Simunition, not MILES. Whatever is better, should be used ;)

13. Dr.J

Dr.J Staying Alive.

kinda like inf for paintballers? cool id love to try that one out :D

14. {GD}Ghost

{GD}Ghost Counter Terrorist Operative

what would be the point? The whole point of MILES/Paintball is so people don't really die during training sims. Most times, we don't have to worry about that in INF......as far as I recall. Game play in INF/INF_MILES/INF_PAINTBALL would really be no different because in all cases, you get hit, you're out.

15. (SDS)benmcl

(SDS)benmcl Why not visit us here in the real world.

Actually there was a bug in one of the 2.86 or one of the mutators that occasionaly came up. You can shoot people all you want. Their health would go to zerio then back to 100. Blood would fly everywhere. Whcih is basically what you are looking at.

It was not fun and rather silly.

16. Dr.J

Dr.J Staying Alive.

i meant in real life (though obviously thats not possible since you need to be either military or law enforcement to get in)

with game training, i dont like the idea that much (though a killhouse map with this stuff against bots as a training map would make good fun - ie 2 training maps: a range and a killhouse :D ).

Last edited: Aug 30, 2004
  17. Shrap

Shrap Beaver

There is a mutator in 2.9 that does almost exactly what you want, slow bullet and almost no range. Try it.