Trackball

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

PuppyShade

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
Sep 3, 2001
Plick-ville
Visit site
Does anyone here use a track ball mouse to play UT ? if, so how do use it ? I can hardly play at all with it, im like a total nOOb ( still) again

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Practice, Practice, Practice.

It takes a bit to get used to. I use the bundled logitech software, with accelleration enabled, so that I can do small adjustments for precise aim, and the accelleration allows you to do 180 w/o lifting your thumb off the ball. That is provided you got a thumball, and not an omni... if you got an omni, lord help you, 'cause I can't.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Sounds like mine...

Yea, I got the old style Logitech trackman marble plus (wheel) USB, but I use the ps2 adapter.

82256.jpg

It just takes much practice to get used to. I fortunately got used to it before I got into games real hardcore, so it wasn't as hard for me. It will be well worth it though.

Angus

Jan 24, 2000
Edmonton,AB,Canada
www.damclan.com
Best to use a ball that uses your fingers instead of your thumb.

Also make sure you invert the mouse in UT, that way the ball simulates your head, you push forward to look down, pull back to look up, very intuative.

I use a panther XL which has been modified to use an optical ball. the MS Exporer trackball to be exact.

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouse/te_info.asp

My sensitivity is set to 3, my sensitivity in Windows is right in the middle between fast and slow. I turn ecceleration off, I can still do 180's with a flick of the fingers.

What made you switch Farmer? You know how good my aim is with a trackball! or have you forgotten? maybe you should pop on DAM so I can remind you!!! jk, good luck with the ball Farmer. you own pretty good with the mouse, but you may like the ball better, no more running outa space on your desk, you can do 5 360's in a row if you choose and never lift your hand.

I AM{skullface}

metrosexual
Oct 24, 2000
Boston, Mass
www.skullface.com
Wow, how could you play with a track ball? Interesting. Farmer, if you want to try that out sometime, give me a shout, you know I'm always game for a 1vs1. :)

A friend of mine used to play UT using his keyboard only. EEEeeeek. You heard it right, no mouse at all. Scary stuff.

-I_AM{skullface}

pine

Official Photography Thread Appreciator
Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
I beat Quake2 on the hardest setting with keyboard-only. :D Back then I didn't trust them fancy "mouse devices" as all the games I'd played previously were side scrollers like the original Duke Nukem, Bio Menace, Monster Bash, etc etc. HOW did I beat Q2 with out a mouse? Very, very patiently. ;)

PuppyShade

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
Sep 3, 2001
Plick-ville
Visit site
I really don't think I can ever get used to this thing, now, when I play, i have to stop, aim, fix my aim, then shoot, usually i dont get that far though...

as far as running out of room on my desk for the key board, I know the feeling, i dont know how many times its gotten pushed ronto the floor ;)

Angus

Jan 24, 2000
Edmonton,AB,Canada
www.damclan.com
Hehe Farmer, give it a chance, I feel the same way as you when I try to play with a mouse.

The trackball to me is just so natural, and the mouse un-natural. That prolly because I have never used anything else for very long.

Try playing with a Joystick if you really want to be different, you get some really wierd looks at LAN parties, The looks get even wierder when you kick their ass! You get comments like "How can you play with that!" or "Geez he does pretty good with that thing"

Keep in mind one of the best Unreal players ever used a joystick and trackball (Panther XL) that would be OverToad. Ask the old schoolers if he was any good, I'm sure he got the comments too.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Say what?

A finger ball, I couldn't fathom... I like my wheel too much anyways... any finger, or omni ball I've ever seen w/ the wheel is just weird. The buttons are far from balanced, not easy at all to get used to. I dig the thumb ball prolly 'cause I used to play a lot of console games 'fore I got a computer, and thumbs are all you use. Fortunately I got used to the keyboard in a touch typing class. Now, between ESDF, and the Thumb ball, I'm damn near unstoppable, and have access to enough extra keys to talk mad §hî†.

Bottom line, it just takes practice, and determination.

I can't play w/ a mouse either. I prolly could, but It would be like getting used to broad band, then going back to a modem... I used to do well on a modem, now I've tasted better, and the modem is out of the question.

Straight Spoiled.

TaoPaiPai

Commisaire Van Loc
Jun 13, 2000
Matnik
Visit site
With a trackball I can go on playing ,typing drawing graphics all day and all night longs without never ,ever havin ANY pain in the wrist.That was impossible when I used a mouse.
I really think a trackball is superior to a mouse when it comes to FPS.You can make a 180 with just a slight move of the finger you have to learn the techniques.
There are indeed a few games for which you can't really play with a trackball.The more obvious one I've encountered is the tennis games or pong games.You really need to alternate speed and precision very fast.The TB is faster than the mouse ,has more precision but the switch between both styles takes more time than with the mouse.
I've been using a TB for more than 3years now and I'll never switch back to a mouse.

[edit] I'm talking about those TB with the ball on the top of the device.I've never tested those with a ball on the side and these might be a different thing [/edit]

I AM{skullface}

metrosexual
Oct 24, 2000
Boston, Mass
www.skullface.com
Originally posted by Angus
... if you really want to be different, you get some really wierd looks at LAN parties, The looks get even wierder when you kick their ass! You get comments like "How can you play with that!" or "Geez he does pretty good with that thing"

I get those same comments when I go to LANs naked. ;)

-I_AM{skullface}

LittleFlower

Jun 14, 2000
NL
www.fce2.de
I've been playing with a trackball+joystick for a while now. Two, even one year ago, that was a perfect setup. However, nowadays I see all the topplayers do nothing but dodge, dodge, dodge. It is really an advantage to be able to dodge. If not only during dogfights, but also to gain pure speed when running with a flag.

So all you joystick players, how the hell do you dodge ? Do you tweak the settings of your stick to simulate double-tapping ? I tried that, but if I enable dodging, my stick makes too many unintended dodges, and I end up killing myself very very often. Or do you just accept the fact that you can't dodge ?

For U2/UT2 I am considering to move back to mouse and keyboard. :( Just so that I can start dodging like those bastards ..... :p

SnaKe-Fu

Thread Killer.
Dec 26, 2000
California
www.7igaming.com
i have the same mouse as $MP$-AEnubis. I've used the finger mouse and all the other ones.. i've found this one to be the best... i've found i have more control and versitility with this one. Only problem i have with it.. is that i cant use the wheel to scroll through my weapons... AEnubis u have this problem?

Other then that its a great mouse... i like it better then a regular 3 button mouse... just my 2 cents.. =P

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
I don't have that problem.

...but then I don't use my wheel for weapon scrolling. I use my mwheelup and mwheeldown for weapon groupings... and they work. It's a lil tricky sometimes getting the wheel to work in all the games at the same time... I'm about to try out the new MouseWares 9.42 and see how that goes.

With some of the old versions I used to have to have that stupid reg fix for the wheel in games, and sometimes had to modify that.

Right now, I just formatted, and the problem I'm having is getting it to take two inputs at one. If I am charging rockets, and hit altfire to consolidate them, it fires them in spread, like it cuts of the one input with the next... I've had this problem before, but it's been so long since my last format, I don't remember what I did to fix it, other then reinstalls of the MouseWares, and ƒûckîng with the registry. Here we go again.

Neither problem occurs w/o MouseWares intalled if I remember correctly, but then the acceleration is different, and once you get used to that... going back is tough.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Umm...

Your wheel doens't work at all in game? Usually such is not the case without mouse wares, but I just got 9.42 installed, and everything worx great now, in UT anyways... Haven't test any other games yet...

OS Selection Page for Logitech MouseWares

From that link, select your OS, then follow instructions for the download. If that takes you to the front page, then select your country, goto the support section, mice and trackballs, software downloads, etc... their site is pretty straight forward.