1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

"TOXIKK" The UT2004 clone

Discussion in 'Games' started by Kantham, Aug 2, 2014.

1. Kantham

Kantham Fool.

Don't read the Youtube comments, they are fucking terrible. (Yes, there can be exceptions even for Youtube comment quality on some videos.)

[m]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B28oQvaL7Mg[/m]

2. War_Master

War_Master Member

Omg, this just looks like a copy-cat of Unreal tournament. Only with a very lame name.

3. Vaskadar

Vaskadar It's time I look back from outer space

These weapons still won't be as mechanically diverse as the UT weapons.

4. UBerserker

UBerserker old EPIC GAMES

So what's new in this game?

5. Wormbo

Wormbo Administrator Staff Member

The trailer shows one big problem: Too much detail in the play area.

6. VendorX

VendorX Member

... and 'what's new in' the UT4?

Yeah, oldies doesn't like rich environment ... for them 'nice' UT'99 flat walls / floors are enough ... :rolleyes:

BTW: I like the idea of this game ...

7. leilei

leilei ANIME ELF'S !!

when this 'rich' environment leads to mostly horizontal gameplay nothing of the popular '1999' sort (DmDeck16, Aerowalk, Q2DM1, Q3TEST1-2-3-4) it really misses the point as its arena shooter marketing gimmick.

So to me it's just an uninspired "from the creators of neocron we bring you UT3. IT'S OLDSCHOOL AND U LOVE IT BECAUSE OLD SCHOOL's"

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  8. UBerserker

UBerserker old EPIC GAMES

Sorry man I was talking about TOXIKK.

The Scaleform HUD is horrendous.

9. Kantham

Kantham Fool.

Between lack of mod support and gluefoot AI, this game could crash and burn pretty fast.

They even made sure to clarify "Bringing back the Arena shooter to its roots" so you know it "most likely won't" DOA within the first week. Anyone remembers Nexuiz?

We'll have to see in the future. Most excitement seems to be around people who skipped fast paced shooters for the past 15 years.

10. Jacks:Revenge

Jacks:Revenge ╠╣E╚╚O

no mod support?

this is NOT a UT reboot.
    UT is not UT without mod support.

11. NRG

NRG Master Console Hater

I agree with most of the comments here. Looks a bit generic and didn't particularly like the level design. Still, I'm curious how it'll turn out.

12. VendorX

VendorX Member

... so, there is mod support.

Interesting fact: Most people on the forum comes from UT2k4, UT3, Warframe etc.

13. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

It's UDK so there is kind of modding support. Whatever modding UDK supports (which is not much) like maps, and models basically. Just build it with identical UDK source and based on their page I'm guessing they will cook it for you or something.

It's also using a ton of slightly modified UT content. I'm not sure whether that is allowed by the UDK license or not. That flying ship is identical to a Raptor, it just has longer wings. That ground speeder is identical to a Viper but the body mold is slightly different.

To me it looks uniquely geared towards attracting people who were following UT and lost some features that they wanted. It's a freaking trailer, even UT3 looked good in trailers. They also have no dedicated servers. Likely to die.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be fine if they do well. I might even try it out. But the video doesn't give me much hope for it.

14. ambershee

ambershee Nimbusfish Rawks

Yeah, this does look like it's using a lot of content from UT3 (and some of the stuff from UDK). Looks to me like they also may have pulled gameplay code from UT3.

15. Al

Al Reaper

Dumbest game name ever.

16. Jacks:Revenge

Jacks:Revenge ╠╣E╚╚O

agreed.
    "Toxikk" is basically a screename that a 13 year old boy would have created for himself in the 90's.

but if the game is good, I'll play it.

17. KaL976

KaL976 *nubcake*

Wake me when there's a demo... that doesn't require signing up.

18. AlteredForms

AlteredForms Registered User

Wasn't the term "mutator" something Unreal only had? It's clear where they got their inspiration from. This looks exactly like Unreal Tournament 3.

19. [GU]elmur_fud

[GU]elmur_fud I have balls of Depleted Uranium

The only parts of this that look decent are the background foliage/earthy bits. The rest looks completely unimaginative.

On the website if you click on 'maps' under 'the game' it lists 3 maps the screenshots for which showcase closeups of bland-as-hell player models and poorly modeled vehicles both with lots of right angles and and poorly conceptualized details. There is very little you can see of any actual map.

I admit that it looked like it could be pretty good while watching the trailer but when I view the website I more get the impression that I am the victim of a con job. This looks so terrible and alpha that the mere fact that there is a link to its steam page to buy the game is suspicious.

Cube which was entirely free to play/download/ectra and billed itself similarly looked better (considering when it was made).

20. Kantham

Kantham Fool.

So bold for "bringing back FPS arena shooters back to its roots". Can't recall P2P being part of the roots. Anyone?