1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Total annihilation spring!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by tomcat ha, Apr 26, 2005.

1. tomcat ha

tomcat ha Well-Known Member

2. yurch

yurch Swinging the clue-by-four

I never understood the desire to 'remake' games. Sure, some games would be nicer with a better engine for obvious performance/compatability reasons... but TA thankfully still works fine.

Why call it a direct "remake" when the end result of the transfer will result in a undoubtably warped and more buggy version of the original? Why not just make a unique game?

3. Keganator

Keganator White as Snow Moderator

Who needs a remake, when the original still runs great? :p

Edit: ps: ooh, pretty..

Last edited: Apr 26, 2005
  4. Arethusa

Arethusa We will not walk in fear.

Erm, I think the point of a remake is to not only do a technical update for performance and compatibility but also to update features and, in this and many cases, dramatically update graphics. Did you even bother looking at the screen shots?

5. yurch

yurch Swinging the clue-by-four

Yes. The little blocky units look even more out of place now. :p I'll end up trying it anyway whenever I get a chance.

New 'features' would be nice, yes, but if they're hellbent on making a remake of a game with such subtleties as TA - that's a hell of a goal. This isn't counting all the bugs that'll inevitably crop up. The units physically shot thier own little bullets(unlike most RTS games nowadays that just seem to use graphically hidden autohits with dicerolls), so the relative targeting and pathfinding of some units could be unbalanced by minor AI changes. Having the same damage and hitpoint values isn't everything.

I love TA, dearly, but I just find all the remakes bizzare. There's also a UT2k4 mod and supposedly (!?) an OFP conversion as well.

6. Arethusa

Arethusa We will not walk in fear.

I'll admit it looks a little weird and can get harder to faithfully copy when gameplay's more dynamic (as it was in TA), but I think you're being overly pessimistic about their prospects. Though, personally, I have no interest until they decide to implement AI.

7. unixman

unixman [pthread] The Clan of One

TA:S is released under the GPL. We therefore have a truely free (as in liberty) version of the engine that won't die simply because the developer/company loses interest in it. I think this is probably the most persuasive reason for remaking TA.

8. Keganator

Well, the engine, anyway. You have to own the original game if you want the original game content. ;)

9. tomcat ha

Well i just see this as the next step in TA. This year is a very nice year for TA. Bridges and air transports which can transport several units. This will allow for all the TA mods go for what theire worth.

10. The_Fur

The_Fur Back in black

Say what?

11. tomcat ha

12. Keganator

Yeah, people have been very, very busy hacking away at TA. :)

13. tomcat ha

Not hacking actually. TA doesnt need to get hacked too allow extra units in it made by the community.

14. Mr. Apocalypse

Mr. Apocalypse My brain must be broken

I have never had TS spring work once, game always crashes or someone doesnt load in or something always happens and it makes me sad :(

15. Keganator

Er, by 'hacking', I mean, doing interesting things with the scripts and system as given, not changing core files.

16. tomcat ha

Are you sure you have the latest drivers? It also needs good open gl support.