1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Top Ten TK Mistakes

Discussion in 'General Infiltration Discussion' started by krate, Oct 15, 2001.

1. krate

krate Newbie for life

I often work my way up to the top of the scoreboard, and then screw up and TK my way straight to the bottom with one mistake. The TK score system is really harsh, but I can see how I deserve harsh treatment for doing something stupid. Every time I TK someone, I think about what mistake I made. Here, I put them in a list of ten, along with what I plan to do to avoid these mistakes. This is not preaching btw, I make too many of these mistakes myself, and I am making this list partially as a reminder to myself. This is a rough draft, and I¡¯d like to see follow ups with comments. Almost everything on my list are things the TKer can do. The TKee is seldom at fault in my opinion, but there are things you can do to avoid being TKed as well, and I've listed a few.

TOP TEN ACCIDENTAL TKs
    and how to avoid them

* Shooting across, over, around, teammates
    * Teammate crossing line of fire.
    Never take a position where you may need to shoot past teammates. Don¡¯t line up behind teammates in a charge. Don¡¯t snipe over a teammates shoulder. Don¡¯t launch nades over their heads. If a teammate is in a fight in front of you, be very careful. It may be better to take cover if you can¡¯t get a clear shot. If the area is too crowded, back off. If someone wiggles in front of your favorite sniping position, let them have the position. If you hang back where you can see your teammate, and you see them loose a fight, you are in a fantastic position to get the person who attacked them. If the two of you bunch together, if one gets killed the other almost certainly will, and the odds are very good that you will tk each other.

* Face-to-face surprise encounter
    Try to keep track of where your teammates are. Early in the match, you will all be heading in the same direction, so it isn¡¯t usually a problem. Later in the match, it might be 3 on two, so if you keep track of even one teammate your chances of a surprise face-to-face with a teammate is much smaller. If you think a teammate is stalking you, or you are not sure who you are stalking, say Cease Fire to warn your teammate.
    Check to see how many of your team are left alive, or keep count in your head, so you have some idea of how likely you are to run into one of your own.
    * Surprise reversal of direction from teammate retreating from or encircling the enemy position
    As above, but this one is especially difficult. Try to avoid sudden retreats from the enemy position, or your team might shoot you. If you walk backwards into your team, they will be less likely to shoot you than if you come charging forward from the enemy position.

* Long range sniping at unidentifiable target
    You might want to give up these opportunities, duck back, and tell your teammates where you see a target. Then you can try to reacquire the target and determine its identity. Pass on the quick potshot opportunity, and wait to get a better chance. Patience usually pays off.

* Accidental discharge at spawn
    Be very careful at the spawn. Do not line up behind teammates for the charge. Get your finger off of the trigger at the end of a match.

* Camo confusion
    Look at your sleeve if you spawn alone. Be willing to loose the first round if you are not sure of which camo is which.

* Collateral damage from nade attack
    * Attacking with a nade too close to teammates
    * Nade attacking unseen target
    Don¡¯t charge in the front of the pack with a nade out. If you get shot, you can take down most of your team. Don¡¯t use nades when teammates are close. Don¡¯t throw nades at unidentified targets unless you are the last one left on your team. Nades are safest and most effective when you know the exact position of your target and you have surprise, or if your target is stalking you or chasing you from a known direction. Of course, if you have been keeping count, and you know you are the last guy left, nade freely.

Some general rules:
    Use the scoreboard or keep count of how many of you are left.
    Try to keep track of at least one teammate¡¯s position
    Use Cease Fire to warn your teammates that you are approaching or that you intend to cross their line of fire.
    Be willing to give up a few surprise attack opportunities if you can¡¯t identify your target.
    Don¡¯t be rude if someone TKs you. Don¡¯t fight with your teammates.
    Don¡¯t crowed your teammates

2. asmodeus

asmodeus DB addict

nice post again dude :tup:

very sensible rules, but not always easy to follow:p

3. LoTekK

LoTekK Peon

damn good post, dude... :tup:

got into that situation myself on siberia a couple days ago... i was covering storm (we were both in "redneck rampage" mode, so we were carrying shotties on pump :D) and he started shooting out a door to his right... i couldn't get a clear shot, so i stayed back and covered the door... the guy comes running in, i take a (very laggy) shot, and end up plastering storm, and subsequently getting plastered myself... so much fer coming out of retirement... :con:
    same thing happened a few minutes later with someone else on the same map... i'm never using a shottie online again... :con:

4. Kuroshio Apocal

Kuroshio Apocal Sucka Free

I snipe over/around/past poaw all the time with my shotgun. I do it so well he doesn't even notice anymore, or at least he doesn't say anything :).

Then again, firing off 50 shells at targets 50m for a pre-INF warmup might have something to do with it :D.

5. yurch

yurch Swinging the clue-by-four

Shooting next to a teammate is not a problem -
    As long as your teammate is not an idiot :D
    I declare yurch officiall law - Do not move around in a firefight and try to dodge the bullets!
    I may end up shooting you... and I am not talking about accidentally either :D

6. poaw

poaw You used to sleep easy at night.

Well on a lot of larger maps you can fire grenades over your teammates heads. But I guess you had Siberia in mind you thought that one up :).

7. krate

krate Newbie for life

I don't mean to say that any of these things are written in stone. You can often get away with sniping past a teammate's ear, or diving into the brawl with a grenade pin in your teeth. However, when you do screw up and get yourself a red skull, I bet the cause is on my top ten list somewhere.

8. peep

peep peep==class

Good post. I've done 'em all.

Who was it that was saying something about an unintentional tk with a knife? Maybe that was online one day.

9. Olethros

Olethros Functional alcoholic

*sigh* I wish my bots could read this post! :rolleyes: They repeatedly break each and every one of those rules, except they never use nades... :rolleyes:

A 28.8 connection is shite! Come next payday I'm ordering myself some cool ADSL solution! So you better keep your heads down online, cuz I'll be fixin' to get me some real frags!

10. {GD}Ghost

{GD}Ghost Counter Terrorist Operative

If it were easy, it wouldn't be Infiltration, it would be CS!!

11. NotBillMurray

NotBillMurray It's Suntory Time!

Excellent post.

I can say that my single favorite INF experience (save for my third battle when I first played 2.8x online) was when I wasn't sure if they target on Kosovo was an enemy or not. I chased him for about 3 minutes until I was absolutely sure. Best experience ever.

I wish to apologize to all I've killed. There are waaaaay to many of you.

12. R-Force

R-Force (IF)

I have two others (happening to me a bit too much) :

-Mistaking a teammate in the shadows for an enemy.

Nothing much to do about it, some camos just look too similar in the dark, or have some weird colors difficult to identify.

-Killing a teammate in my LOF because my target refuse to stay put (some jackass who try to dodge bullets).

Once trying to dodge bullets becomes pointless, this "accident" will no longer happen ;).

13. Fenris

Fenris [-I-]Fenris

All three thumbs up. Will point all newbies to this post.

After all the years I still have times I wished I would remember this in the middle of the battle.

Most important tip of all seems to be : Use common sense. Don't do anything you wouldn't do in real life. Like crossing in front of mate not telling him you will, or most other points in your list.

14. TheSmisker

TheSmisker CaseSensitive

Xcellent post. Nades are killers.

The Camo on sleeve is good, noticed that myself a couple of days ago, I charged in on DockedMill and got a guy in my sights.... COULDN*T fire because I was perplexd, fast thinking "is he mate or meat?" He of course did know and put 1/2 clip 5.56 thru me. Man...

By the way... adding one to the 10 list

Keep cool. Sometimes, especially on maps I don't know that well, I get fragged over and over again. I end up frustrated and shoot the first moving thing I see in pure reflex. This is no good. I am considering playing thru all maps in bot mode just to see where all those hideouts are. Siberia got me hands-down on that one

15. spm1138

spm1138 Irony Is

Good post, Krate.

I try and wait until I have a good, clear shot at the other guy (apart from anything else, shooting too early and missing can destroy all that hard work stalking my prey).

Same goes for dodgy long range shots.

Also, carry your weapon at the LOW ready. The time it take to bring it up and aim it can give you time to spot what camo the other guy is wearing.

And, as you say LOOK AT YOUR SLEEVES (especially on Cuban Dawn. Nothing makes me spit blood more than some guy staring at you for 10 seconds THEN wasting you.)

16. The_Fur

The_Fur Back in black

you know what works oddly enough. Playing CS and switching outorun off... walk the entire battle. I've taken out whole teams of dodging strafers by simply walking and listening for footsteps. Whenever they come close find a nice hiding hole an dshoot them in the back. Works in inf as well. walk and hide. Before moving into areas throw a cquick glance (lean) and check if it's clear.

17. JaFO

JaFO bugs are features too ...

Don't run in front of a teammate if you can avoid it either.
    Lag means he might shoot at a time he thinks it's clear, while you're already in front of him ...

• Make sure you really are the last man standing before you swithch to a 'kill anything that moves'-mode ...

If I compare my sleeves to the camo of a possible enemy on that map, then I would TK more often because the sleeve does not look like the camo on my teammates (in-game) ...

18. Keganator

Keganator White as Snow Moderator

Man, great post. Good job!

19. [DiE]x8668k

[DiE]x8668k Skilled

I can add this:

I see the Enemy, I shot and he shots, we both miss, he runs to hide inside somewhere when reloading , I reload and slowly go after, then he suddenly jumps out and I waste him, releasing for some strange reason, the Enemy and one of my mates have totally missed eachother inside, and it was my mate that jumped out infront of me, I type sorry while the Enemy jumps out and kills me. :D

Has happend 2 or 3 times only.

Then if I TK someone in my Clan, Viperian, for some strange reason I kill him at least 2 more times, that has always happend, if I TK him ones, I will for sure get him again. :D

20. Prowler

Prowler "Building Better Worlds"

every single time I tk, its always the same, sneaking around and all in a sudden my team mate wips around a corner and I panic. The second most one is a team mate running across my line of site. I often die trying not to hit my own team with all this running and gunning and stuff.

But most of the time its me thats getting TKed