1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Top 25 PC Games Of All Time

Discussion in 'News & Articles' started by hal, Aug 7, 2009.

1. hal

hal Dictator Staff Member

IGN has assembled its latest top 25 list, this time opining on the Top 25 (PC) Games of All Time. Coming in at number 22 and 21 are Unreal Tournament and Deus Ex, respectively.

2. M.A.D.X.W

M.A.D.X.W Active Member

That's not a very good list imo. Lots of good games are left out.
    Deus Ex should be number one :)

The list in PCGamer #194 is better I'd say.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  3. TurdDrive

TurdDrive sam k

agree apart from the deus Ex thing

4. BobTheBeheader

BobTheBeheader New Member

I don't like these lists. Who are these people to tell me what games I should think are good? I always end up disagreeing with them on many points.

I liked seeing X-Com in there, however. Not a bad choice, although I wouldn't give it first place.

5. Lruce Bee

Lruce Bee Transcending to another level

Totally subjective of course, as these things always are but not having Quake in there is criminal imo.

Lruce

6. Sjosz

Sjosz (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

This list is largely laughable.

7. Mozi

Mozi Zer0 as a number

Agree with everyone who already posted. And I agree Deus Ex should be #1. Just my opinion and M.A.D.X.W so far.

8. Kantham

Kantham Fool.

I was wondering where Quake was left out.

Also, most of the highest ranked games are mostly RTS based games. I see these guys have a large background in PC gaming history but that's their own opinion that people will find laughable. There's way too many games left out on there.

Where the hell is scorched earth now??

9. Firefly

Firefly United Kingdom is not a country.

In the comments some are going "where's Myst?" didn't they read the list's title?

Also diablo2 +exp pack > original diablo

10. Wunderbar_007

Wunderbar_007 .Lateral Thought.

I stopped looking when I saw Crysis. That has to be a joke.

11. SleepyHe4d

SleepyHe4d fap fap fap

Haha same ^

Well actually I read the rest out of curiosity but WTF?

Deus Ex would definitely be #1 on my list, but really, when making these lists there shouldn't be a 'Number 1'. It's too specific for a public article. It should be something like top tier, second tier, ect. That or something like Gamespot's Greatest Games of All Time.

12. Wunderbar_007

Wunderbar_007 .Lateral Thought.

ok...I read the rest, Deus Ex should be #1
    I was very happy to see UT and System Shock 2 however!

13. Mozi

Mozi Zer0 as a number

Supreme Commander needs to be on that list.

Wunderbar_007 your avatar reminded me how awesome that game was.

14. Fordy

Fordy Member

I know I don't say much these days but I agree also that Deus Ex should be no.1

15. UBerserker

UBerserker old EPIC GAMES

Crysis? No ****.

That's one terrible list. Unreal 1, Quake 1, Deus Ex and System Shock 2 needs more praise.

16. elmuerte

elmuerte Master of Science

I totally agree.

17. xear0

xear0 New Member

epic fail.

no quake? counter strike? solitaire? D:

FAIL.

18. Angel_Mapper

Angel_Mapper Goooooooats

Yet another "5 pages for no reason except to push more ads" list. Argh.

19. MachDelta

MachDelta Haphazard Nobody

You guys are all on something, and I want some of it 'cuz it must be gooooood. :lol:

Seriously though, this is one of the better "top x games of all time" lists that i've ever seen.

The reason there's no Quake is that it didn't a) position itself as the patriarch of all FPSdom like Doom did (Wolf3D being the grandpappy) nor b) refine and in many ways redefine what an FPS is and can do (a title held by our beloved UT99). Quake was a serious evolution of the FPS, and certainly a major milestone... but it was not all that revolutionary in itself. Much of its popularity stems from the fact that the internet was finally starting to coalesce at that time, and it just happened to be the frontrunning FPS at the dawn of true online multiplayer. Had it been released two years earlier or later, it would have just been another good looking shooter.

As for Counter Strike... mod. Is and always will be a mod no matter how many pretty retail boxes they put it in, and thus it will always play second fiddle to the brilliance whence it came from, Half Life. And remember, just because something is popular doesn't automatically mean it's good.

Now Crysis... i'm not 100% convinced of it being on the list, even though I own and love the game almost as much as I love UT. Personally I think it's glitter will fade with time, though I can't argue too strongly against a game with a great story, rock solid gameplay, and absolutely mind blowing graphics. Honestly I think a lot of the still lingering hate towards Crysis is nothing more than echos of the "system-crushing requirements ****storm" that happened on its release. If you're going to bag on the game in 2009, IMO, you need to have played it through to completion at least once. Then try and tell me, with a straight face, that the final battle wasn't even a little freakin-awesome. :D

Otherwise, the only games I can think of that aren't on the list are... Total Annihilation (face it guys, it was a far more noteworthy game than SupCom... and unfortunatly TA was slightly eclipsed by SC at the time) and maybe Jagged Alliance 2. Oh and maybe KOTOR. But beyond that, my opinion is that it's a solid grouping even if I don't agree with the exact placings.

PS: Deus Ex was amazing and should have been higher. Top 6 for sure.

20. Abvex

Abvex New Member

The headline should had been "Here are a list of classic games we liked, oh and we liked crysis too"

Anyway I am little tired of Starcraft worship, I wanted to see Homeworld there.