TOO Much Dodging a bad thing?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Metakill

Inhumane
Feb 18, 2000
Redwood City, CA USA
Don't just jump randomly and hope. Jump to avoid shcrapnel at your feet. Dodge jump to get out of a crowded intersection or to reach a specific position. I seldom double jump in combat, usually just to get around the map. I primarily use normal dodging. But I get wasted by good players too, so take my advice lightly.

HuggyBear

manta claus
Feb 23, 2004
I say, never dodge! Charge up your shield gun and run headlong into the fray!

Sure, you'll get wasted a few times, but most people will be crapping themselves trying to get away from you.

HuggyBear

manta claus
Feb 23, 2004
You'd be surprised how often it works! Sure, I never come in first in a deathmatch, but I regularly place in the top 3. (Of course, dodging and jumping around like an idiot help with this; more often than not, I come down right on top of the person and splatter them but GOOD.)

SolaceEternal

SPANK THAT TUNA
Apr 29, 2004
...gotta say the obvious. Only weapon that doesn't really matter exactly where you shoot it near an enemy would, of course, be the redeemer. Although it would technically be a lot more satisfying to ram someone's teeth out with it first.

{MåçE}

ma$e is back!!??
Mar 6, 2004
use the rocket launcher up close, it works just fine.. you can usually dodge-jump and shoot rockets without hurting yourself..

wall jump is also often a good move to do in close corners too.. enemies dont usually predict it as much since it isnt used nearly as often (after all, it can only be used on a wall)

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
Yes dodging can be a bad thing. People think the point is to just keep moving as randomly as possible. If you do that you're going to get owned. It has to be deliberate. As you play more and more eventually you'll start to realize a lot of really "weird" things. I think this was particularly noticable with the flak/lg in 2k3. I started to find that I found the flak to be almost cheap. Against a lesser opponent I could get them to go anywhere I wanted them to. I would hit direct flak hits most of the time. The LG was the same way. You know it's going to hit before you even hit the key. You just know.

Now you might not realize it at the time but it's because you've realized the flaws in how the other person is playing. If I shoot flak to the side they're going to dodge. Most people tend to always dodge-jump too. Plenty of time to switch to the LG and hit them. Their landing space is relativly predictable, not to mention they don't have as much control over where they're going during a dodge jump. Hence as soon as they land WHAM.

Once you've gotten to this point you'll start to realize that most of the time when you die it's your fault. You moved the wrong way, you made yourself vulnerable. You'll start to realize "omg I was in maul and did a dodge jump off that slope and rev killed me, that was a dumb thing to do". At this point you should understand pretty fully not only when dodging etc is appropriate, but what to do in long range situations, and what to do with what weapons.

As far as I can tell this is really the big difference. It's all goes back to my whole how right brained thinking affects your gameplay. Once you start thinking like this you're using your right brain. When you start playing with your right brain you will find all the aspects of your gameplay go up tremendously. It's really the difference between skill and nothing.

Bonzo_Dog

Feb 20, 2004
FFS left brain ? Right brain ? WTF r u talking about F^^&kin Hell Grab a life , best thing is for the Originator of this thread is to play me , i will host the game and teach him and act as frag bait , but it would be best if we get on UT not 2k4.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
except that your skill in UT is worthless when you come over to 2k4.

TWD is 99% right. Your right brain controls creativity, and you have to be deliberately creative in your movement or else you will die all the time. The biggest prolem I notice in Deathmatches isn't that people don't know how to move, it's that they don't know how to move CREATIVELY. I know this, because I do it myself all the time and it makes me mad. I am definitely not the best when it comes to movement, I fall into my own traps all the time. But I can tell you that it's how creatively you move that makes all the difference in the world and not how well you know how to move.

Bonzo_Dog

Feb 20, 2004
Sir_Brizz said:
except that your skill in UT is worthless when you come over to 2k4.

TWD is 99% right. Your right brain controls creativity, and you have to be deliberately creative in your movement or else you will die all the time. The biggest prolem I notice in Deathmatches isn't that people don't know how to move, it's that they don't know how to move CREATIVELY. I know this, because I do it myself all the time and it makes me mad. I am definitely not the best when it comes to movement, I fall into my own traps all the time. But I can tell you that it's how creatively you move that makes all the difference in the world and not how well you know how to move.
:) you better go get a thought simulated helmet , this is a game remember /, or does your right brain not remember ?or was it your left brain that forgot! FFS
grab a life

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
learn: english, grammar, and what other people are talking about before you respond again. Not only is your post pointless, but you have failed to understand one word of what I or TWD was talking about.

edit: if you think that playing a game requires no thought then I assume you are one of the people in Onslaught that does nothing and makes their team lose.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm, Im half decent when it comes to movement, half the time i'll be doing deliberate, good dodges, then the other half is just me flying face first into rockets :) Im rather good when it comes to prediction though, I remember charging up 3 rockets standing atop the hill on DM-DesertIsle when I saw some guy going for a health pack down at the bottom where the pond is, launched the 3 rockets, 5 seconds later all 3 nailed him and I scored a kill, was one of my finer moments :D

{MåçE}

ma$e is back!!??
Mar 6, 2004
like omfg brizz made fun of people who played onslaught omgz what a bastard lets argue with him omgz

Zaccix

Truth, by Banksy
Nov 10, 1999
London, UK
Train your "weak" dodge side. A while ago, I noticed that could dodge much better to the right (using my index finger on my left hand) than to the left (using my ring finger), so I made a conscious effort to improve my left dodging. Being able to confidently dodge to any side at a moment's notice is a handy skill to have.

Also, avoid being predictable. Dodging (especially backwards) is great for giving your opponent a "huh?" moment when in the middle of an intense firefight, but if you let them see it coming, so to speak, it's like holding up a big sign saying "WILL LAND HERE ->". :)

rhirud

Fast learning novice
Feb 20, 2004
To answer the question - when to use the rocket launcher.

I'm fairly new to the game, so my simple answer is - always use it when your opponent's is close to a wall. The rocket explodes on the wall (obviously) and the splash dammage gets him. When playing against single player bots running to pick up health, knowing this allows you to kill them every time.

Another point - when up against a lightning gun or sniper, small, random straffing works well for me. You don't need to jump,

The rocket launcher is far less easy to master than it first seems, and judging which piece of ground is is fairly difficult. Master the flak cannon first, then move on to the rocket launcher.

B

Bee
Sep 6, 2000
Bussum, NL
www.zdclan.nl
Depends on the weapon u are using.
With hitscan (Shock, Mini, LG) aim for the player.
With projectile (RL, Flak, Goo) aim for the place where u think they are going to be when the projectile arrives.