1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Tomb Raider Legend!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by K, Apr 11, 2006.

1. K

K i bite

Sh!t yeah, i'm excited.
    I dont know if anyone else is a fan of the TR series, but if you are read on. Here is my review so far as i begin to play the demo.

I have been a fanatic about the whole series of TR games. I have played them all the way through like five times each. I just couldn't get enough. Then a couple years ago they released Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness.
    They had changed all the controls and the way the game played. I was furious and didn't even complete the game. Hanging my head in shame i went on to look for another game to spend my days playing.

Years later a sliver of light apears from an ancient door once slammed shut.
    A new TR is being released. Called Tomb Raider Legend.
    It boasts in reviews, game play reminiscent of the older favorites and new graphic techn. I couldn't resist to give it a chance. I just downloaded the demo and gave it a whirl.

The upside:
    I tried to take a screen shot for you all cause the first thing that impressed me was Lara herself. When you emurge from some water , she looks like she is actually wet! "shudders" Oh baby!
    In this one the graphics are significantly improved. Infact they recommend a gig of ram to play the game.
    They have also added a whole slew of new technology to the game: Shadows, Phisics, Fluid character movement, Increased Pollycount ,Lots of Dynamic animation, and much more.

Another thing i noticed right of the bat was it seems Lara has a variety of facial expressions in this one while you play. The movement is very smooth and nice looking. You can also switch between auto and manual aiming. Kind of nice. She has most of the signature moves and some new ones so i have seen so far.

On the down side:
    One of the older titles , i believe it was "The Last Revelation or TR3", When you would look around and Lara's body or head was in the way of view it would become transparent. This new title lacks this nice feature. Instead you are given Binoculars to look with unobstructed. Kind of a hasle IMHO.
    Also the controls are not the classic ones. You use the mouse to change the camera angle and moving forward just goes in the direction the camera faces. I'm not used to it and prefer the old school controls but i'll give this a chance still. Doing tricky jumps or overcoming obstacles seems easier in this one, yet the complexity or the areas makes up for it a little. You really have to look around to figure out what you have to do there. This i believe is the heart of the whole game.

The only other thing i am not happy with is when you are walking near an edge, there is no key to hold or walking mode to stop you from walking right off the ledge. You just have to be careful you don't fall. I miss the old "walk to the ledge and she stops"

Supposedly there is a upgraded feature that will soon be unlocked soon in the downloads that will raise the graphics even more and bring the demo closer to what the game will be when it is released. This title will also be release on PC , Xbox , and PSP.

Here's the link to the Official site and demo
    So any one else tried the demo yet? Thoughts.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2006
  2. ilkman

ilkman The Outcast God

I found it to be rather fun. The controls seem to be a lot more refined and tight then the previous titles where it felt like they were swimming too much.

My one complaint, at least in the demo, its a major annoyance trying to move boxes.

3. Fuzzle

Fuzzle spam noob

I was never really a fan of TR but I'm not gonna turn down a free demo.

4. The_Head

The_Head JB Mapper

I think the demo is excelent. The control system is much more natural to use, and it is much more forgiving when jumping around between ledges and stuff, which was a royal pain in the ass on the older TR's.
    The graphics are great and Lara looks lovely ;)

I thought it is being released on PC, PSP, PS2, Xbox and Xbox360?

5. Fuzzle

Fuzzle spam noob

That wasn't too bad, I might have to pick this one up. The gameplay was very refreshing and simple, and the animations were great. I was always a big fan of details where the character will slip at the edge of rocks, and being able to haul yourself up a small ledge instead of mario bros'ing your way up.
    It takes a bit getting used to the controls and sometimes the camera would move around by itself, in turn making me jump off the wrong direction. Maybe this is adjustable though, I didn't try messing around with any settings.

I'm surprised they still haven't found a way to deal with the camera being mashed up against the wall though. I always hated that in the earlier TR games.

It also ran perfectly on my crappy rig at full details sans AA, which is a big plus and a big sigh of relief having played oblivion at 20fps for 2 weeks.

Edit: I loved the way you moved crates around, as well. It felt really natural and behaved just how it should. Imo.

6. Parser

Parser Hello

Legend is a great game, albeit a little short, and there seems to be a problem with the
    Infinite shotgun ammo cheat, which doesn't work even if you've unlocked it?
    Here's hoping that CD do the right thing and release some editing tools or an SDK!

In terms of detail, CD have done some cool work on the Engine, as it runs really well on my shameful box. A little thing I discovered: if your screen is lagging, or doesn't feel smooth enough, untick the Fullscreen Effects box - you should be able to run the game at a higher resolution with no screen lag.

Gamecube as well, apparently, which should be good.

7. sid

sid I posted in the RO-me thread
    and all I got was
    a pink username!

Im not much of a TR fan but I sure love LARA CROFT :tup:

8. GotBeer?

GotBeer? The nozzle is now calibrating

Is there a Nude Raider mod for it yet? I'll get it then :p

9. sid

sid I posted in the RO-me thread
    and all I got was
    a pink username!

To be honest those mods looked pretty crappy in the old days and I wouldnt want them back.

10. The_Head

The_Head JB Mapper

But shes got bouncing boobs this time around ;)

11. Fuzzle

Fuzzle spam noob

And they get wet!

12. K

K i bite

I just mis the old key controls and the fixed camera/look key. It made manuvering way more fun.

13. GotBeer?

GotBeer? The nozzle is now calibrating

I have Tomb Raider Gold, only one I played. I actually used my Sidewinder instead of keyboard controls. It was fun, and the nude mod was funny.

14. Fuzzle

Fuzzle spam noob

I think I played the first TR in 320x280 and with no cd audio (because I was unaware you had to connect the cdrom to your soundcard). I didnt realise it had an audio track until one day I was bored and was trying my pc cd's in my stereo.

15. K

K i bite

We would always listen to Sarah Mclachlan in the cd rom when we were playing. It just went Really well with the atmosphere of the first three games.

16. Mas

Mas Paul Aka Mas

I really like it so far, from what i have played of the demo.

Its got a prince of persia feel to it, which is what it needed to be honest. The only thing that annoys me really, is when you go into the shoulder view zoom weapon mode, you cant move, would be nice of them to fix that. Apart from that, looks promising

17. pwnghetti & leetballs

pwnghetti & leetballs Barnacle Blitzkrieg!

It's a great game, but you HAVE to play the full version to appreciate the graphics because the demo has no support for the "next generation content"...

What this checkbox does it add a sh*tload of shaders, HDR lighting, better shadows, more detail, and every bell and whistle that you can imagine. The downside is that it will bring even a current gen system down to its knees. They have released the first patch though which is supposed to significantly improve nvidia performance.

Next-gen disabled:
    [​IMG]

Next-gen enabled:
    [​IMG]

18. Jackal

Jackal Crapass

I thought this was released already :confused: Ohwell. Can't wait to play it. Can't wait to pay off my TV and buy me a new computer to play this either. My love for Lara has never died off, so I'm sure this game will please me.

19. SirYawnalot

SirYawnalot Slapping myself in the face

The next-gen version of Lara is a bit disturbing in my opinion- bump-mapping and advanced lighting/shading on a deliberately non-realistic face make her look like a toy instead of a CGI person. My 2 cents...

20. Fuzzle

Fuzzle spam noob

I felt that way with 3d anime games as well to begin with. I thought those fighter and rpg games looked absolutely ridiculous and thought they belonged in top down isometric games.

But hey, I got used to it and now Ayane from DoA and Kelly from gunvalkyrie are the hottest bunch of polygons to ever come out of my xbox.