tips from some 1337 g4m3rz plz

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Rukee

Coffee overclocks the overclocker!!
May 15, 2001
Over here!!!
Visit site
Most people will assisgn a key to the translocator so they can grab it without cycling thru all the weapons.
Turn on dodging and try to double tap the direction keys to stife. A moving target is always harder to hit then a stationary one!! Keep moving!!

Chrysaor

Lord of the Pants
Nov 3, 2001
Hiding in your Attic
Here's how I did it, don't have to copy me tho...

Turn auto switch off, assign differnt keys for every weapon you use.

strafe by double tapping, don't jump everywhere.

ctf requires 3 weapons, shock rifle, translocator, minigun/rl = in that order too.

Uh, ya, when you run, turn to the opposite side as you strafe. That is, turn left and double tap the right strafe button, you run twice as fast that way.

Pick up the flag, then translocate away from it, then combo the guy that was about to combo where you just dropped the flag.

Frag then Flag.

Stay with your back, and USE a point man. :)

Strafe down stairs and ramps. It's all about speed !
C-C-C-Comboed!

GoAt

Never wrong
Nov 3, 2001
USA
Visit site
you all suck!!!
you dont want tips from them, you want tips from d00ds that beat them.

but i cant give out my techs, cause my settings are to most, FUBAR.

Chrysaor

Lord of the Pants
Nov 3, 2001
Hiding in your Attic
Originally posted by GoAt
you all suck!!!
you dont want tips from them, you want tips from d00ds that beat them.

but i cant give out my techs, cause my settings are to most, FUBAR.

fubar? My forward button is R backwards is F, E right strafe, A left strafe, W is jump...heard of that before?

Chrysaor

Lord of the Pants
Nov 3, 2001
Hiding in your Attic
Hey another thing mr. goat, I wouldn't have lost by much if we had played something I knew how to play. :p
I had never played curse online, and certanetly no 1on1 schtuff.

GoAt

Never wrong
Nov 3, 2001
USA
Visit site
well sir, perhaps we then play 1v1 Insta CTF?

i have a server that is all ready for use

and pings are better than rukkes DSL server, mine is hosted on a T3

Chrysaor

Lord of the Pants
Nov 3, 2001
Hiding in your Attic
Originally posted by GoAt
pick your map, game play and what not

I think I'll pass, not having played UT in a month or so would hurt my skillz methinks. I don't honestly care about the map and whatnot it's not the best excuse, you were obviously better and I commend you. I just wanted to make the point that i didn't play up to par.

(don't i sound noble?)

GoAt

Never wrong
Nov 3, 2001
USA
Visit site
i went an entire year w/o UT, came back better than before. so dont give me that crap about how long your went with out playing.

-Penfold-

Originally posted by Chrysaor

fubar? My forward button is R backwards is F, E right strafe, A left strafe, W is jump...heard of that before?

That's all out of wack. If R and F are forward and back, then E and T or D and G should be left and right (strafe).

This setup, however leaves your thumb with the bottom row keys of only space and alt, and can have your palm hitting the windows key. It also has forward and backward keys diagonally shifted.

I don't know WHY the UP DOWN LEFT RIGHT arrows are default key moves in so many games, requiring you to lift your hand to hit C to crouch (among other functions), and use the top numbers to pick weapons. This is such crap.

If you want a good keyboard setup, use what I use, or something similar:

Home=forward
End=backward
Delete=strafe left
Page Down=strafe right
(for games where you can lean: use insert=lean left, page up=lean right)
right=translocator (thumb)
down=voice/command menu (thumb)
enter=jump (pinky)
shift=crouch (pinky)
(all numbers below are numpad numbers-use your thumb)
0 (zero) select best weapon
1 through 9 should be assigned to your standard weapons with those you might want to use very quickly (Flack, minigun, etc) in the lower numbers (closer to your thumb) and the others (sniper rifle) up high (7-9)
impact hammer=/ (numpad)
redeemer=*(numpad)

Use the [.] the [Backspace] and the key below [backspace] for other things you'll need to be able to hit quickly without looking (such as "Cover Me" or other gametype specific functions)

The middle mouse button (if it's a small roller/button) should be assigned a function that you won't need to use while firing weapons. So, I chose to use them for gestures (thrust, etc) since you shouldn't do that crap unless the coast is clear, anyway.

Get in the habit of using your thumb for all the numpad keys, so you can always keep moving. If you get in the habit of lifting your fingers from the movement keys to swich weapons, you'll be a sitting duck everytime you do so. Keep moving, and use your thumb instead.

Make sure to prioritize your weapons in options>weapons--
put the weapons that you default to in a tricky/deserate situation (ones you need to switch to quickly without thinking) at the top of the list, and the weapons that you usually use when relatively safe (sniper, redeemer) towards the bottom of the list. In the middle of the list, rank higher the weapons you're more efficient with. Since you have quick access to the translocator, put it at the very bottom of the list. Uncheck "Auto Switch Weapons".

If you keep your thumb on the zero key, you can quickly access your preffered weapons for bad situations instantly.

Before you translocate, arm which weapon you'll need to use after translocation. Then when you translocate, tap the primary fire button on your mouse while still holding down the secondary. This will arm the weapon you were just using automatically.

Remember, that you can fire multiple rockets in tight formation by holding down the secondary button for a second while loading your rockets. (if you don't want them to spread horizontally)

Bind all the important commands (issued to all teamates--attack, defend, hold, cover, freelance) to keys you wont forget, and use them stategically. Use the command menu (down) if need be for individual assigmnents.

Familiarize yourself with how to use each weapon (especially ones you may not like) offensively and defensively.

-Penfold-

Oh, and change you're dodgetime in the user.ini file of our UT/System directory to something less than .25 (I use .20) to avoid accidentally dodging forward off cliffs/buildings when trying to scoot forward a little more to the edge.

(Why wasn't this time change an option in the menu?!?)