Tips and tricks on 'getting your FPS UP' needed!!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

[IMD1]KillRoy

Suck my boomstick!
Okay, heres the deal...

You know the problem, having a nice map made and it realy kicks, but the framerate is a pain in the @55.

Are there some tips or tricks you like to share on getting the frame rate back to a normal rate?

Please leave a post in this thread. :D

Thnx!

bobtheking

Monkey in a bucket
Dec 1, 2001
dx*dp >= h/4pi
Visit site
if you haven't portaled the map, do that. remove as many dynamic lights as possible, big outdoor textures set both high shadow and low shadow detail for superlow. take as many meshes out of big outdoor areas as you can.

ingear

Nov 29, 2001
TX
Visit site
A few
large out door areas try and break up the viewing distance. keep pick ups out of site till your right there on them.
It's hard to do if you have a large arena with uninterupted space.
It just makes that much more area visible.
In doors it's easier you have walls and doorways to block viewing large disances.

Keep the number of sprites to a min, That's like moving water flames and trees.

Keep your brussh sizes with in reason. REmber it draws the hole brush at one time so if you have a huge castle as one big brush guess what all those surfaces get rendered the same time.

bobtheking

Monkey in a bucket
Dec 1, 2001
dx*dp >= h/4pi
Visit site
There is also a way to speed up the whole game engine with the .ini file:

[Engine.GameEngine]
CacheSizeMegs=200 <--- This is normally at 2
UseSound=True
ServerActors=IpDrv.UdpBeacon
ServerActors=IpServer.UdpServerQuery
ServerActors=IpServer.UdpServerUplink MasterServerAddress=unreal.epicgames.com MasterServerPort=27900

I set mine to 200, because I have 256 MB of ram, so i left 56 megs to other stuff. use a reasonable number, if you have 128 megs, don't set it to 125. Leave 30-50 megs for windows/other stuff.

ingear

Nov 29, 2001
TX
Visit site
Originally posted by @kuma

no

Hmmm, maybe I frazed it wrong no they don't actualy get rendered at one time. however since it is part of the same brush it will all get looked at depending on how the system has broken it up in space.

It's going to look at each surface to see if its visible. If it had been multiple brushes then tiwould look to see if the brush is visible. which would only take one check vs checking each surface.

The only reason I said this is I tried a large hotel I made one time it had every single floor and room filled.
The frame right went to near dead.

Akuma

Deacon Massif
Mar 4, 2000
Visit site
once again, no :)

The BSP that's compiled from the brushes in the map doesnt really resemble the 'map' you work on.

Ulukai

May 2, 2000
It's going to look at each surface to see if its visible. If it had been multiple brushes then tiwould look to see if the brush is visible. which would only take one check vs checking each surface.

Uh, what?

ftp://ftp.sgi.com/other/bspfaq/faq/

Read it and weep :) Like a fool, I once opted for a 3D Engine programming course, and the way a BSP based polygon sorting system works is a wee bit more complicated....

Akuma

Deacon Massif
Mar 4, 2000
Visit site
Octrees r r00lz BSP r sux

I'm interested in how id's handling the whole visibility issue with the doom3 engine, I assume they're using a modified version of the q3 vis/portal system but who knows.